Recommended Posts

I mean the unique letterform style seems to have been the intended goal, not a by-product of good design.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

 

So why tag me, then?

At first I didn’t think you understood what I was stating so I gave you context just how you gave me context with your statement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2019 at 11:46 AM, BrandMooreArt said:

love the new sock rule. long over due. my biggest uniform pet peeve is white cleats paired with the standard sock— makes players look like they're wearing go-go-boots. white ones especially need some decoration, but its a really nice, simplified look that compliments the players leg much better. i never would have thought the NFL would care enough about socks to do this so it seems someone is looking out for the details over there. good stuff

 

100% agree with this and have been saying it for years.  Super thankful to see they finally made this rule change.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2019 at 5:38 PM, Old School Fool said:

This sock rule has me curious about the possibilities. The Ravens could wear their purple CR socks with black pants and the Bills could wear their red CR socks with the blue pants.

 

Honestly...those both sound like youth football combos in my head. 

 

I happen to have a friend whose son's youth team is the Ravens and they wear that exact combo. 

 

I'm gonna miss mandatory white bottoms. This is gonna bother me more than it should 😢

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/29/2019 at 6:35 PM, 4_tattoos said:

About time the league ditched the sock rule. Never liked or understood it.

 

Guess the last league mandated (this must be this color) piece of team equipment/uniform are the solid white chinstraps.

 

I kind of wish that wasn't mandated either. I think it'd be fine as long as individual teams would all be all wearing the same color chinstrap.

 

Funny how it seems most of my uniform preferences are based on nostalgia from my favorite team's glory years. 😅

 

jacksonville-jaguars-running-back-fred-t

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, j'villejags said:

 

I kind of wish that wasn't mandated either. I think it'd be fine as long as individual teams would all be all wearing the same color chinstrap.

 

Funny how it seems most of my uniform preferences are based on nostalgia from my favorite team's glory years. 😅

 

I agree completely. Dark chinstraps really help pull together a helmet, instead of standing out like white does. Hopefully just a matter of time...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VDizzle12 said:

 

I agree completely. Dark chinstraps really help pull together a helmet, instead of standing out like white does. Hopefully just a matter of time...

 

Certain teams with Black as a brand color could possibly benefit from black chinstraps/helmet bumpers (Ravens, Raiders, Saints, Falcons, Jaguars, Jets, Eagles), but I think this might be one area the NFL sticks to its guns with.  Colors I think should be off-limits no matter what as they look terrible when I’ve seen them done at any lower level.

 

Socks are one thing...but when you start swapping out color components on something as iconic as a team helmet and the brand becomes devalued.  That little bit of White helps create some needed contrast between helmet components.  

 

I think that unless it was for a “Color Rush” or alternate situation, this is a “no” for me at the NFL level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, PittsburghSucks said:

 

No white over pewter?

White jersey pewter pants with red socks is my 2nd favorite combo. Whoever is in charge of picking their combos should be fired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Volt said:

 

Certain teams with Black as a brand color could possibly benefit from black chinstraps/helmet bumpers (Ravens, Raiders, Saints, Falcons, Jaguars, Jets, Eagles), but I think this might be one area the NFL sticks to its guns with.  Colors I think should be off-limits no matter what as they look terrible when I’ve seen them done at any lower level.

 

Socks are one thing...but when you start swapping out color components on something as iconic as a team helmet and the brand becomes devalued.  That little bit of White helps create some needed contrast between helmet components.  

 

I think that unless it was for a “Color Rush” or alternate situation, this is a “no” for me at the NFL level.

 

I don't know. When Michigan went from white to navy chinstraps I think it elevated an already iconic helmet. I think as long as it matches the helmet she'll or facemask it would be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Other than possibly teams with a white shell, I can’t think of a single helmet that wouldn’t be improved by a dark-colored chinstrap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Would it just be easier to say that chinstraps should match the helmet color? Or would it be better to match the facemask color? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The silver helmet teams would be interesting to see. Would they have a silver chinstrap to match the shell? Would a dark chinstrap look good on let's say, the Raiders or Cowboys? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Chawls said:

 Would it just be easier to say that chinstraps should match the helmet color? Or would it be better to match the facemask color? 

I'd say probably a case by case basis. I think the Browns and Packers would be better off matching the facemask. Bright orange or yellow straps would way too distracting.

But the Redskins, Vikings, Titans, and Chiefs might be better off matching the shell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Chawls said:

 Would it just be easier to say that chinstraps should match the helmet color? Or would it be better to match the facemask color? 

 

Because a gold face mask would be as intrusive on the Packers’ helmet as the white one is.  

 

I would suggest as a general rule of thumb that it match the darkest color on the helmet (burgundy for Washington, green for the Packers, etc.) although there may be exceptions to that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

 

Because a gold face mask would be as intrusive on the Packers’ helmet as the white one is. 

 

I would suggest as a general rule of thumb that it match the darkest color on the helmet (burgundy for Washington, green for the Packers, etc.) although there may be exceptions to that. 

 

How about matching the facemask then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Chawls said:

How about matching the facemask then?

 

That’s probably a good tactic in some cases.  Minnesota should have black to match their face mask, especially with their new lavender shells.

 

I really think the rule of thumb should be match the darkest color.  Shell, face mask, whichever is darker.

 

Maybe even use the darkest team color, period.  The Patriots would be better served with a navy chin strap than matching the red face mask or silver shell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

 

That’s probably a good tactic in some cases.  Minnesota should have black to match their face mask, especially with their new lavender shells.

 

I really think the rule of thumb should be match the darkest color.  Shell, face mask, whichever is darker.

 

Maybe even use the darkest team color, period.  The Patriots would be better served with a navy chin strap than matching the red face mask or silver shell. 

 

Yeah I was gonna ask about teams like the Niners, Chargers, and Cardinals, until you mentioned darkest team color overall. Though would a black chinstrap work for the Cardinals and Niners in your opinion?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think black can probably work for every team.  But certainly for teams like the Cardinals and Niners, teams that already have black on their helmet as a logo accent color. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well now I have to go down the line.

Chinstrap color preference IMO.

eagles black

giants gray

washington burgundy 

cowboys white home/navy with navy uni

bears midnight blue

packers green

vikings purple

lions gray

saints black

falcons black 

bucs black

panthers black

niners white

rams navy

seahawks navy 

cardinals white

jets black

pats gray

bills white

dolphins white

steelers black

bengals black

ravens black

browns brown

colts white

titans navy

jaguars black

texans navy

raiders gray

broncos navy

chargers white

chiefs white 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Change all those whites to literally anything else, and I’ll agree with you down the line. 😛

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.