NFL changes 2019

FightingGoldenDevil

6 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

A Lot of players wear the cap-sleeve cut, though, and most teams’ shoulder loops are wider than the Panthers.’

There are two excuses right there. 🙂

Third excuse: They just flat out don't care what us uniform/logo nerds think.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

A Lot of players wear the cap-sleeve cut, though, and most teams’ shoulder loops are wider than the Panthers.’

There are two excuses right there. 🙂

I don't know. I know these aren't full wrap-around loops, but they still look better than what the Colts roll out regularly. I think it's pretty clear it's possible to do the shoulder loop look justice with modern templates. It's just on Nike and the teams in question to give a crap.

pX3X7DT.png

nfm9m6m.png

wQ24oeX.png

2 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

I don't know. I know these aren't full wrap-around loops, but they still look better than what the Colts roll out regularly. I think it's pretty clear it's possible to do the shoulder loop look justice with modern templates. It's just on Nike and the teams in question to give a crap.

pX3X7DT.png

nfm9m6m.png

wQ24oeX.png

You’re right. As shown here, it’s definitely possible to get a better result than blocking the stripes off at the yoke. My only point was that full wraparound is not a realistic solution, at least not for all players.

I still think the best solution is to angle the stripes into the body panel to give the illusion of a full wraparound without the bunching of the stripe under the arm.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

i vote the angled cut approach as well. currently, id say the Colts as doing the UCLA stripe the best right now; the stripe on UCLA themselves looks too narrow to me and like the Panthers, probably has to be that narrow to complete the loops. but just completing the loops shouldn't be the goal. id much rather see the proportion / thickness of the stripe be right in relation to other elements and the amount of real estate on the jersey. (LSU has gotten pretty close to getting it nicely executed too; better than Panthers and UCLA i think)

i also think its important to remember there is no standard for this stripe anymore, no way it “should be”. its a antiquated element designed for a jersey template that no longer exists and like most sleeve stripes today, are just bastardized, shoehorned versions of their former selves.

if the UCLA stripe is to remain an option for football jerseys, i (if part of Nike or adidas teams responsible for such things) would start with redefining what a successful stripe looks like. it just can no longer be about “complete the loop because thats how it was done in the 60s”. this dated element has to be evolved as a solution to the modern jersey, and that brings me back to being on Harry’s side about the cut-off technique.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

5 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

i vote the angled cut approach as well. currently, id say the Colts as doing the UCLA stripe the best right now; the stripe on UCLA themselves looks too narrow to me and like the Panthers, probably has to be that narrow to complete the loops. but just completing the loops shouldn't be the goal. id much rather see the proportion / thickness of the stripe be right in relation to other elements and the amount of real estate on the jersey. (LSU has gotten pretty close to getting it nicely executed too; better than Panthers and UCLA i think)

i also think its important to remember there is no standard for this stripe anymore, no way it “should be”. its a antiquated element designed for a jersey template that no longer exists and like most sleeve stripes today, are just bastardized, shoehorned versions of their former selves.

if the UCLA stripe is to remain an option for football jerseys, i (if part of Nike or adidas teams responsible for such things) would start with redefining what a successful stripe looks like. it just can no longer be about “complete the loop because thats how it was done in the 60s”. this dated element has to be evolved as a solution to the modern jersey, and that brings me back to being on Harry’s side about the cut-off technique.

I think the definition of what proper shoulder loops are has always been a bit loose.. the way it "should be" still is the way it "should be".. there's no reason a better solution doesn't exist yet other than manufacturers trying to cut corners and cut costs.. but I don't think "full wraparound loops" ever needed to be the standard.. the goal is to achieve a certain look, not cram design elements where they don't fit.. the Colts understood this in the 50's and 60's.. why can't we figure it out now?

spacer.png

I've actually suggested this type of solution here before.. although I'd run the stripes more into the sleeve panel than the body panel, but same basic idea.. you'd run into part of the extended cuff with the cap sleeves, but it wouldn't affect the look at all.. seems like a solution that not only would work on modem templates, but stays true to the spirit and history of the aesthetic..

21 hours ago, DNAsports said:

It never even dawned on me that Washington’s throwbacks don’t use TV numbers either which to me just means the numbers are unnecessary. However, it doesn’t hurt a uniform to have them. IMO, a jersey should incorporate either or and in some cases both on a jersey can get a pass.

spacer.png

I wish that was their full-time home set.  Beautiful and fitting.  

7 hours ago, WavePunter said:

I think the definition of what proper shoulder loops are has always been a bit loose.. the way it "should be" still is the way it "should be".. there's no reason a better solution doesn't exist yet other than manufacturers trying to cut corners and cut costs.. but I don't think "full wraparound loops" ever needed to be the standard.. the goal is to achieve a certain look, not cram design elements where they don't fit.. the Colts understood this in the 50's and 60's.. why can't we figure it out now?

spacer.png

I've actually suggested this type of solution here before.. although I'd run the stripes more into the sleeve panel than the body panel, but same basic idea.. you'd run into part of the extended cuff with the cap sleeves, but it wouldn't affect the look at all.. seems like a solution that not only would work on modem templates, but stays true to the spirit and history of the aesthetic..

you have to account for the manufacturer logo at the NFL level and TV numbers; unless you’re going to say moving them to the shoulders is part of the evolution of the stripes, which im not crazy about. so i think they way Harry laid it out is a better solution there. maybe your suggestion works better for CFB? 

yes, the goal is to achieve a certain look and the question is not “how do we stay true to the original?” because that just doesnt matter, thats not the look. the question is “how do we loop 3 stripes over the shoulder of a player in a bold, pleasing manner?”

GRAPHIC ARTIST

36 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

the question is “how do we loop 3 stripes over the shoulder of a player in a bold, pleasing manner?”

UCLA and UA managed it. You're creating a problem someone has already found a solution for. If UA can do it so can Nike. The only reason they don't is because the Colts don't care enough to insist on it. If they did Nike would make it work in incredibly short order.

On 9/13/2019 at 12:27 PM, DNAsports said:

spacer.png

3 hours ago, Volt said:

I wish that was their full-time home set.  Beautiful and fitting.  

That helmet looks about 100 times better with the stripes removed and the gray mask. Add some mustard gold pants to match the numbers, pick a logo (either the helmet's or the Jersey's... Or split the difference with a new one) for both, and your good to go.

52 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

That helmet looks about 100 times better with the stripes removed and the gray mask. Add some mustard gold pants to match the numbers, pick a logo (either the helmet's or the Jersey's... Or split the difference with a new one) for both, and your good to go.

absolutely. id probably vote their current logo as worst in the league (name and imagery aside, its a terrible logo) but because of its intricacy, the rest of the uniform needs to scale back its decoration. taking away all those other things that call attention and just letting the colors and logo do that is a much better, even classic, approach. one change i would make though is either do the numbers in one color, or flip the colors so you have a base white with gold outline

GRAPHIC ARTIST

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

That helmet looks about 100 times better with the stripes removed and the gray mask.

It really does. Both Washington's colour scheme on display here- burgundy and mustard gold, and Cleveland's -brown, white, and orange- are very Autumn-y colour schemes. And I've discovered that grey goes remarkably well with the colours we associate with Autumn. I can't describe why. Maybe it's the muted colour schemes, maybe it's the subconscious association of the fall with old school football, but neither the classic Washington scheme or Cleveland's scheme need grey anywhere else to justify the use of grey facemasks. They look handsome as-is.

While on the topic of the Redskins helmet (also showcasing a dream set for the Saints):

spacer.png

And again, a dream set for the Saints while showing a VERY wild, and quite possibly horrendous uniform combo for Miami (yes that’s the current helmet):

spacer.png

Also, a fairly decent looking matchup between San Fran and New England:

spacer.png

Then there are these Bills matchups:

spacer.png

spacer.png

5 hours ago, DNAsports said:

While on the topic of the Redskins helmet (also showcasing a dream set for the Saints):

spacer.png

And again, a dream set for the Saints while showing a VERY wild, and quite possibly horrendous uniform combo for Miami (yes that’s the current helmet):

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Would be really interesting to see you fix all the matchups this season, most of these look really good, just not Miami, definitely not miami

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

8 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

UCLA and UA managed it. You're creating a problem someone has already found a solution for. If UA can do it so can Nike. The only reason they don't is because the Colts don't care enough to insist on it. If they did Nike would make it work in incredibly short order.

EXACTLY.. and even if you think the stripes are a touch too thin, you can widen them inward a bit towards the collar, leaving the full sleeve for numbers and the swoosh (no, I never suggested moving them to the shoulders.. teams can make the swoosh and numbers fit on sleeves now, so it shouldn't become a problem when the sleeve isn't affected)

17 hours ago, DNAsports said:

There's no "dream" uniform that mixes a gold or silver helmet with white pants.  That simply should never happen.  IMO if the lids are silver or gold, the pants need to either match the helmet (if wearing dark jerseys) or they could also be another team color (if wearing white jerseys.)

Don't fight the system - just accept it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Another casualty of the new sock rule - Jacksonville with the rare white leotard look. The white socks looked alright with the white jerseys last week, but this looks is desperate for the black and teal socks originally revealed with the set.

gardner-minshew-of-the-jacksonville-jagu

Last week:

jybzvjauvzyyiqdn4vzk.jpg

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

Archived