NFL changes 2019

FightingGoldenDevil

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, henburg said:

What exactly is supposed to be bad about the Seahawks uniforms? They're visually balanced, consistent without being predictable, and use color very well. It's a unique, striking look and has ascended into the uniform set that defines the franchise IMO. 

To me, the individual design elements aren’t very cohesive, and I think the end result is something that feels busier than it really is.

I think the little native-inspired shape is a nice element, or at least idea to build on, but they’re using it as a subtle micro-pattern on the helmet and numbers (which is not an authentic way it would be used in native artwork), as an oversized, multi-colored sleeve graphic (which I find it a bit ugly and awkward both in terms of the scale and how it fills the space), and as a stripe on the pants (I think this is the best application, as well as the truest to the inspiration).

That’s three different scales and three different color executions that just don’t pair that well together as a graphic package, then they’ve got green trim on only the front and back numbers, and none of these things pick up any design language from the logo to unite it.

The numbers are aggressively unique (and I think they can be improved quite a bit), but they’re paired with generic nameplate lettering, and again, there’s nothing that links any of the uniform typography to the team branding, or vice versa.

The whole collection just feels like a different person designed each piece, which is probably true to an extent, but I firmly believe the best way to design within an established identity is to figure out which pieces aren’t going anywhere and use those limitations as guidelines to create new elements that work *with* the existing elements; pulling everything together rather than breaking it apart.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

To me, the individual design elements aren’t very cohesive, and I think the end result is something that feels busier than it really is.

I think the little native-inspired shape is a nice element, or at least idea to build on, but they’re using it as a subtle micro-pattern on the helmet and numbers (which is not an authentic way it would be used in native artwork), as an oversized, multi-colored sleeve graphic (which I find it a bit ugly and awkward both in terms of the scale and how it fills the space), and as a stripe on the pants (I think this is the best application, as well as the truest to the inspiration).

That’s three different scales and three different color executions that just don’t pair that well together as a graphic package, then they’ve got green trim on only the front and back numbers, and none of these things pick up any design language from the logo to unite it.

The numbers are aggressively unique (and I think they can be improved quite a bit), but they’re paired with generic nameplate lettering, and again, there’s nothing that links any of the uniform typography to the team branding, or vice versa.

The whole collection just feels like a different person designed each piece, which is probably true to an extent, but I firmly believe the best way to design within an established identity is to figure out which pieces aren’t going anywhere and use those limitations as guidelines to create new elements that work *with* the existing elements; pulling everything together rather than breaking it apart.

That's a great answer, I genuinely appreciate the thought put into this. The note about the repeated difference of scale between design on the jersey, helmet and pants is an interesting note and a definite knock against the set. I'd also side with you in terms of the use as a pattern on the numbers, that definitely feels like a trendy design element thrown into the set. That said, I still like the set. It's not without its flaws of course, but I think that more works than doesn't.  

spacer.png

5 hours ago, henburg said:

What exactly is supposed to be bad about the Seahawks uniforms? They're visually balanced, consistent without being predictable, and use color very well. It's a unique, striking look and has ascended into the uniform set that defines the franchise IMO. 

I just don't like the chest stripes (hate this on the Browns too) and how much they love mono-navy. Those two changes make them perfectly fine uniforms, IMO.

Also I always questioned why the connecting logos on the helmet pointed down instead of up, you know like the logo does.

5 hours ago, GFB said:

The Panthers’ white pants need to be burned. They can be replaced by the silver pants in every situation and the team looks significantly better.

Disagree.  They look great in white over white.

As long as the helmet is silver, there's no place for white pants.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

31 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

Count me among those in favour of the Panthers dropping silver.

Look how much cleaner and nicer the top uniforms look compared to the bottom.

panthurrs.png

The road and alternate uniforms look better with no silver, but the home uniform looks better with it. Balancing three light colors is much easier with a black jersey than with a light colored one. I don't see a solution that appeals to everyone here.

36 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

Count me among those in favour of the Panthers dropping silver.

Look how much cleaner and nicer the top uniforms look compared to the bottom.

panthurrs.png

You can’t really compare a graphic to actual game pictures. Here the silver looks like a dingy grey and not the metallic color it really is

Well it seems pretty clear they are trying to slowly phase out the silver with their most reason combinations.  I thought they did look clean yesterday, but the combo they wore against Houston the week before is pretty bad IMO because of the helmet being so light it kinda made it unbalanced. I'd stick with Silver or white pants with the white jersey in their case.

#DTWD #GoJaguars

Archived