Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

The Bears’ stripes, though, are very clearly different; there’s sufficient contrast between the two patterns.

 

These, on the other hand, are too similar and the end result looks unintentional, like they were ordering stock items and had to choose the closest one because they didn’t have the jersey that matched the helmet and pant pattern.

 

Thank you, that is what I was trying to say.  The Bears’ all-whites look like they were designed to be that way.  The Packers’ all-whites look like somebody couldn’t get what they really wanted and made do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

 

The only real solution is to go back to Lombardi’s original road jersey for Color Rush.  And then for all road games. 

 

spacer.png

 

 

The throwback from 2003;

 

spacer.png

 

And the socks!

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, that should be their full-time road jersey. 

 

Except the sleeve stripes should be knit, not painted on.  Silk-screen jerseys went out of fashion thirty years ago.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Can't disagree more.  It's a terrible look for the Packers.  Not only the white pants/white socks, which are bad enough, but the fact that their pant stripes don't match the jersey stripes.

 

usa_today_13517197.0.jpg

 

As much as I hate the all-whites, I would gladly accept them if the Packers would just change the neck and sleeve striping on their regular road jersey to match these pants.  So much better without those little white stripes cluttering up the design and muddying the impact.

 

I was somewhat shocked yesterday when I saw them voluntarily wearing this uniform. From my recollection the packers like some of the other heritage clubs were not on board with the color rush program and basically opted for the white pants out of fulfilling the bare minimum obligation. Given that there's zero merchandising upside to this set why on earth would the voluntarily wear this at home? Also if they wanted to do a true cr alt why not invest the time and do a fauxback where they could actually sell some jerseys? My only guess is that the players had a hand in this because deciding to keep wearing the white bottoms seems very off-brand for the packers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, guest23 said:

Given that there's zero merchandising upside to this set why on earth would the voluntarily wear this at home?

 

Maybe they actually like the uniform?  :therock:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

 

Maybe they actually like the uniform?  :therock:

 

Why would they? It's not a good look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, guest23 said:

Why would they? It's not a good look.

 

 Because as we know better than anyone else, what looks “good” is entirely subjective.  Granted, uniformity and simplicity are often reliable measures for determining a good looking uniform, but they’re not absolutes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

True, but the Packers have been a very traditional team when it comes to these things. They’ve always refused a third jersey other than a throwback, they have been one of the very rare teams to consistently resist the uniform templates Nike pushes on them, and they had to be outright forced by the league to wear a Color Rush uniform in the first place. 

 

And on a high-profile, nationally broadcast game? I’m wondering if the NFL isn’t still exerting pressure on teams, requiring them to wear their clown suits for a certain number of games every year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

True, but the Packers have been a very traditional team when it comes to these things. They’ve always refused a third jersey other than a throwback, they have been one of the very rare teams to consistently resist the uniform templates Nike pushes on them, and they had to be outright forced by the league to wear a Color Rush uniform in the first place. 

 

And on a high-profile, nationally broadcast game? I’m wondering if the NFL isn’t still exerting pressure on teams, requiring them to wear their clown suits for a certain number of games every year. 

Too bad they didn't fight back hard enough and outright refuse to wear them like Washington did. That was probably the only good decision Bruce Allen and Dan Snyder have ever made for the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

True, but the Packers have been a very traditional team when it comes to these things. They’ve always refused a third jersey other than a throwback, they have been one of the very rare teams to consistently resist the uniform templates Nike pushes on them, and they had to be outright forced by the league to wear a Color Rush uniform in the first place. 

 

And on a high-profile, nationally broadcast game? I’m wondering if the NFL isn’t still exerting pressure on teams, requiring them to wear their clown suits for a certain number of games every year. 


In other instances, maybe, but there’s really no upside from a retail perspective for the Packers to wear their color rush set. It’s their standard white jersey, not a special design like other teams have for their CR uniforms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, CitizenTino said:

In other instances, maybe, but there’s really no upside from a retail perspective for the Packers to wear their color rush set. It’s their standard white jersey, not a special design like other teams have for their CR uniforms.

 

True, but the NFL let them get away with that, meaning it's about more than just retail sales.  It's also about creating a hip and cool visual statement and buzz.  You know, for kids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Gothamite said:

 

True, but the NFL let them get away with that, meaning it's about more than just retail sales.  It's also about creating a hip and cool visual statement and buzz.  You know, for kids.

I think you overrating how much social equity a white jersey-pants combo buys Green Bay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tracy MidGrady said:

I think you overrating how much social equity a white jersey-pants combo buys Green Bay

 

The NFL thinks it does, or they wouldn’t have required the Packers to adopt one.  Take it up with the league. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

 

The NFL thinks it does, or they wouldn’t have required the Packers to adopt one.  Take it up with the league. 

There's nothing to take up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Tracy MidGrady said:

There's nothing to take up

 

The mono white uniform trend was an unintended consequence of nike and the league not properly accounting for franchises reluctant to fully embrace the program known as color rush. The issue compounded when in the initial unveiling, nike and the league decided to insult ~7% of the viewing public by pairing red v green. This clear lack of foresight and piss-poor execution cracked the entire program as they relaxed the rules to avoid clashes by going mono white with their primaries. Given that the results have been mixed based on each franchise we now have 2nd alts and solid white socks. I am cool with solid dark socks though, especially with stripes.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, guest23 said:

 

The mono white uniform trend was an unintended consequence of nike and the league not properly accounting for franchises reluctant to fully embrace the program known as color rush. The issue compounded when in the initial unveiling, nike and the league decided to insult ~7% of the viewing public by pairing red v green. This clear lack of foresight and piss-poor execution cracked the entire program as they relaxed the rules to avoid clashes by going mono white with their primaries. Given that the results have been mixed based on each franchise we now have 2nd alts and solid white socks. I am cool with solid dark socks though, especially with stripes.

 

I think it's a bit unfair to say the league decided to insult colorblind fans.. it really was a bad combination of a number of factors.. with oversight being a big one..

But the league likely also didn't consider the extremely similar designs of the two uniforms - both had white helmets, white numerals on their colored jerseys, 2 white stripes on their pants, and one team had 2 white shoulder stripes, while the other had 2 white sleeve stripes.. add in the fact that one team was wearing an unofficial team color (obviously to boost merch sales) that made the issue significantly worse (likely wouldn't have been an issue with the Jets' standard green jersey, or even the color rush style in their standard dark green color).. it really was the perfect storm of unfortunate circumstances

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Gothamite said:

True, but the Packers have been a very traditional team when it comes to these things. They’ve always refused a third jersey other than a throwback, they have been one of the very rare teams to consistently resist the uniform templates Nike pushes on them, and they had to be outright forced by the league to wear a Color Rush uniform in the first place. 

 

And on a high-profile, nationally broadcast game? I’m wondering if the NFL isn’t still exerting pressure on teams, requiring them to wear their clown suits for a certain number of games every year. 

 

The thing I don't get about the Color Rush resistance was the fact that the Redskins were the only team to actually truly resist. Nobody necessarily had to go through with it yet teams like the Packers, Raiders and a few others just went and did it anyways.

 

In the case of the Raiders and Cowboys, I think it gave them an excuse to bring back fan favorite uniforms that they themselves forgot existed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

The thing I don't get about the Color Rush resistance was the fact that the Redskins were the only team to actually truly resist. Nobody necessarily had to go through with it yet teams like the Packers, Raiders and a few others just went and did it anyways.

 

You're wrong about that.  Color Rush became mandatory in its second season.  From the Packers themselves in 2016:

 

Quote

The NFL began using color-rush uniforms on Thursday night games last season, but participation was optional. The Packers decided not to produce a color-rush uniform for their Thursday night contest in Detroit on Dec. 3. 

 

This season, color-rush uniforms are mandatory, and rather than go all green with the current home jersey or all gold with the regular pants, the Packers are going with all white.

 

So the league did require them. 

 

And why do you think Washington “resisted”?  They didn’t avoid Color Rush, they just changed the uniform from the all-gold that Nike tried to force on them (and which they hated) into an all-burgandy one.  That’s not resisting, it’s adapting to a mandate.  As the Packers did.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

 

The thing I don't get about the Color Rush resistance was the fact that the Redskins were the only team to actually truly resist. Nobody necessarily had to go through with it yet teams like the Packers, Raiders and a few others just went and did it anyways.

 

In the case of the Raiders and Cowboys, I think it gave them an excuse to bring back fan favorite uniforms that they themselves forgot existed.

 

I believe the Raiders have now ditched the "Color Rush" part of the Color Rush, now wearing it with the Standard Silver Pants and Black Socks so it is now a 1970 Throwback.

spacer.png

Now if only teams like the Cowboys, Giants, Saints, Broncos, Steelers, and others changed the Pants and/or Socks to make a true Throwback.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.