NFL changes 2019

FightingGoldenDevil

I don't see them losing their name Raiders either.  If they lose it the name is gone forever unless an owner with deep pockets wants to move to the bay area, privately construct his own stadium and change the name to the raiders upon arrival to Oakland.  But on changes I am excited to see what the Jets are going to do.  I used to love the Namath era uniforms and was happy in 97 when they changed but since then I have soured on that look.  Not sure if it is because throughout the years the look was butchered by various apparel companies (adidas,reebok,nike etc).  

My wish list is;

1. Cardinals change

2. Falcons change to something similar to the expansion season or the Hammer/Neon Deon era

3. Patriots change

4. Broncos change back to the elway era colors uniform mashed up with current logo or even an updated D logo

5. Dolphins go back to '72 uniform

6. Bengals go back to either '88 uniform or the jeff black era flying tiger

7. Browns go back to old set please

8. Chargers upgrade to powder blue and ditch all navy

9. Saints promote color rush and throwback to primary, incinerate the black pants.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Saints' black pants just need some stripes on them, like the batch from '76 to '85. Make a pair with the same style of striping pattern as the color rush pants have. Those CR white pants are essentially throwbacks to the '76-85 set they wore with the black jerseys. They just added a fleur-de-list to the CR pants on the hip.

I'm kind of tired of the single stripe on the gold pants, and I'd like to see those get CR-style stripes on them, too. And I'd like to see stripes come back on the regular white and black jerseys. I could get behind three stripes instead of five, but put something on the sleeves.

http://www.gridiron-uniforms.com/GUD/controller/controller.php?action=teams-season&team_id=NO&year=1976

Finally, go back to the original shade of gold while you're at it. This would be the most important change, in my opinion. Even going back to the 2011 shade of gold, I have a bunch of caps and pullovers from the Reebok era, and it's jarring to see the difference between the Reebok gold and Nike's gold, which essentially looks like khaki or beige.

I don't think the NFL has had a team in recent memory ... or at least since 1970 that has gone BACK to an old design? Well, besides the 49ers, but there were even changes to that design. So asking or expecting teams like the Browns, Bengals or Broncos to go back to throwback design is a lost cause. I think all we can ask is that their next designs just don't suck.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

14 minutes ago, kimball said:

I don't think the NFL has had a team in recent memory ... or at least since 1970 that has gone BACK to an old design? Well, besides the 49ers, but there were even changes to that design. So asking or expecting teams like the Browns, Bengals or Broncos to go back to throwback design is a lost cause. I think all we can ask is that their next designs just don't suck.

The Bills went back to uniforms that are basically their late 70's ones in 2011. When the Giants changed uniforms in 2005, they went back to their 60's uniforms. Same with the Jets when they made their change in 1998.

On 12/12/2018 at 7:41 PM, AgentColon2 said:

My short surprise wishlist.

1. Saints

2. Falcons

3. Cardinals

4. Bengals

5. Broncos

1. Someone said it already, but they have combos they could wear but inexplicably don't and would look 10x better. 

2. Dump the piping mess, go with something based off the CR/Throwbacks. 

3. Burn everything,  and go to a cardinal/grey or cardinal/black/copper scheme with some form of actual stripes. *shameless plug alert https://i.imgur.com/lTEBzaO.png*

4. Much like the Falcons, roll with the CR uniforms. 

5. See Falcons/Bengals. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

1 hour ago, fouhy12 said:

The Bills went back to uniforms that are basically their late 70's ones in 2011. When the Giants changed uniforms in 2005, they went back to their 60's uniforms. Same with the Jets when they made their change in 1998.

All with some changes here and there, though.

Some of these are far-fetched, but here it goes:

1) Cowboys:  Wear blue at home 3 times each season (one their regular blue uniform, one their blue jersey with white CR pants, one with a blue version of the white CR jersey).

2) Redskins:  Throwback based on the "Over the Hill Gang" design of the 70s

3) Giants:  Primaries based on the 80s/90s CR/Throwback, featuring "GIANTS" on the helmet. A new third uniform would feature the current blue jersey, gray pants, and "ny"on the helmet.

4) Saints:  Ditch the leotard black pants, and only use the gold and CR ones. Black throwback based on the white CR jersey.

5) Bucs:  Go back to 1997-2013 

6) Panthers:  Make Carolina Blue the primary color jersey, with the black as an alternate (worn once a year with silver pants and once a year with white pants).

7) Rams: Keep the CR and blue throwbacks while introducing a white version of the same. Introduce white pants based on the current yellow ones.

8 ) Jets: Ditch the green pants

9) Patriots: Return to the red AFL/80s set with white "Pat Patriot" helmet

10 Dolphins:  Throwbacks as permanent set. Introduce an orange alternate based on them.

11) Texans:  Blue numbers on white jerseys

12) Jaguars:  Teal primary home jersey

13) Titans:  Columbia primary home jersey

14) Browns:  Go back to the set they had pre-2015. Ditch the brown pants and introduce an orange alternate based on that jersey.

15) Ravens:  No more black leotards

16) Bengals:  Go back to original set with "BENGALS" helmet. Introduce an orange alternate jersey based on that set.

17) Chargers:  Make powder blue the primary. Use yellow and white pants

18) Raiders:  Move TV numbers to shoulders

19) Seahawks:  Wear gray or white pants a couple of times with the blue jersey

17 hours ago, bkknight95 said:

1. Someone said it already, but they have combos they could wear but inexplicably don't and would look 10x better. 

2. Dump the piping mess, go with something based off the CR/Throwbacks. 

3. Burn everything,  and go to a cardinal/grey or cardinal/black/copper scheme with some form of actual stripes. *shameless plug alert https://i.imgur.com/lTEBzaO.png*

4. Much like the Falcons, roll with the CR uniforms. 

5. See Falcons/Bengals. 

I really like that sort of concept for the Cardinals.. I actually did something very similar for them in a concept I was toying around with.. only suggestion I'd make to yours is changing the beak to a more copper color.. I think creative license here would allow a slightly yellower or more gold hue to preserve that beak look and help it stand out, but going more coppery would really help tie it into the uniforms.. maybe something akin to a bronze might be the happy medium..

On 12/12/2018 at 11:07 PM, simtek34 said:

Patriots: Remove silver, wear White Helmets... and go back to Royal Blue. Too much Navy in the league.

I'll grant you that there are nine NFL teams currently sporting Navy/Dark Blue as a heavily-used official team color, and that five of those - including the Patriots - are in the AFC. Still, with the Royal Blue-clad Buffalo Bills in the same division, as well as the Patriots' overall theme benefitting from a darker shade of Blue that calls to mind the American flag, I don't believe the Pats look would be enhanced by a Navy-to-Royal switch.

As for exchanging Silver helmets for White, I think that would be a questionable move, as well. Of the five NFL teams currently sporting Silver helmets (six if you count the Buccaneers' Pewter as a darker shade of the color), just two play in the AFC. Meanwhile, six of the seven NFL teams that don White helmets are AFC franchises... including all three of New England's divisional rivals.

On the subject of the Red throwback uniforms... the less they're seen, the better. It was an asinine branding decision for a team named after the colonial patriots of the American Revolutionary War to adopt Red - the hue associated with the regalia worn by most regiments of the opposing British Army in said conflict - as its primary color.   

Could the Patriots uniforms be improved? Sure. For starters, I'd love to see the side panels/piping removed from the jerseys and the Navy pants jettisoned. That said, I feel the Navy Blue, Red, Silver and White palette suits them perfectly.       

8 hours ago, msubulldog said:

9) Patriots: Return to the red AFL/80s set with white "Pat Patriot" helmet

No. The uniforms are okay I guess, but that logo is far too detailed to be featured on a helmet. It looked out of place in 1986 and it does now. Not to mention the absence of blue irks me with a team that's based off the American Revolution.

16) Bengals:  Go back to original set with "BENGALS" helmet. Introduce an orange alternate jersey based on that set.

Hell no. This is being minimalist to a fault. The Bengals helmets since 1980 have stood the test of time as a great and unique look, far different from what any team has produced before or after. The wordmark-helmet is obnoxious and bland (just like the uniforms) and is far too big to fit on the helmet in an aesthetically pleasing way. Not to mention those uniforms are almost a complete ripoff of the Browns due to senior Brown's exit with the team. They just need to be shot in a canon far away from this earth.

NSFCvyu.png

7 hours ago, orangefaniniowa said:

The Patriots unis aren't going anywhere.  They won FIVE Super Bowls with them so why change for old time sake.  Not happening so we either going to have to love them or loathe them (even though I prefer the latter)

Some people seem to think that they'll retire the look after Brady retires. Idk if or how they'll do that, but I think just a refresh would make more sense than a total redesign.

On 12/12/2018 at 6:46 PM, WSU151 said:

Since the Raiders aren't breaking a lease (which is why Cleveland sued Modell in the first place), I don't see this as having much chance of success. I think Oakland fans can sue the Raiders for PSL reimbursement and win, but the city's (oh sorry, The Town's) lawsuit seems weak upon initial review.

It's odd that Oakland is suing to keep the name...the Browns legacy was in left in Cleveland as part of a negotiated settlement - it was not part of the original lawsuit. The NFL essentially said "Yes, Cleveland can keep the name because we will do our best to bring football back to Cleveland".  I don't see it happening in Oakland. The argument The Town apparently has of "We spent $240M with the expectation that the Raiders would be here a long time" is meaningless without specific details from the contract. 

In the rare chance that the Raiders lose the lawsuit, I'd be highly surprised if the Raiders don't pay the penalty. The long-term value of the brand "Raiders" is too great.

They were the Los Angeles Raiders from 1982-94, and might have been again if the Chargers hadn't moved. The team owns the name not the city.

20 hours ago, daveindc said:

Some people seem to think that they'll retire the look after Brady retires. Idk if or how they'll do that, but I think just a refresh would make more sense than a total redesign.

Yeah, at this point there's NO going back to red-dominant look. Sure they went to one Super Bowl wearing it. But, the level of success with the current logo and color scheme is unmatched. Really, all they need to do is fix the stupid stripes, abandon the blue pants, stick with a silver pair of pants for both home and away and call it a day.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Archived