NFL changes 2019

FightingGoldenDevil

4 hours ago, kimball said:

Wow ... has it really been since 2013? It doesn't seem like that old of a rule. I know that this has been discussed ad nauseam ... but ... there has to be a way around it by now. Even to limit the pros to a two lid rule is waaaaaaaaay more restricted than what we see in college.

I'd love to see more of these era appropriate match ups and it's too bad we want see that next year like we did in '94. 

Yep 2013 was the first year. Pats obviously haven't worn their throwbacks since 2012 and the Redskins only used the brown faux leather helmet for 1 year (2012) with their throwbacks.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/28/2019 at 1:50 PM, ARTnSocal said:

I wonder if the NFL has anything planned uniform and logo-wise for NFL-100 next season?  I haven't heard a single peep on that subject, anywhere.  

DtHcpdq.jpg

NFL Logo for next year

ysuC84F.jpg

Chicago Bear logo next year

I believe Green Bay will continue to wear their 100 seasons logo next year as well.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

So will they all be italicized team fonts like the bears?  I shudder at the thought of Tampa's.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, hawk36 said:

Is that real? It looks like an Arena League logo. Odd. 

As real as the Arena League still is kicking.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

On 1/30/2019 at 1:32 PM, MJWalker45 said:

DtHcpdq.jpg

NFL Logo for next year

ysuC84F.jpg

Chicago Bear logo next year

I believe Green Bay will continue to wear their 100 seasons logo next year as well.

I was more or less referring to uniforms, not the patches MJ.

Kinda like what they did in 1994 for NFL-75 and in 2009 for AFL-50 Legacy with all those cool throwback uniforms. They also had an NFL-50 left shoulder patch in 1969 which appeared on all the then NFL teams and on the Vikings Super Bowl IV jerseys when the Super-Chiefs beat them, proving that the J-E-T-S win over the then Baltimore Colts in SB-III was no fluke.

and technically in 1920 it was named the APFA and  wasn't renamed the 'NFL' until 1922.  Since I like being pedantic at times, 2019 will not be the 100th of the Chicago Bears, as they were originally the Decatur Staleys. Green Bay and the NY Giants entered the league in 1921. The Staleys moved to Chicago in 1921, year 2, and kept the Staleys nickname until switching to da 'BEARS' in 1923.  So . . . It would seem that it makes the Cardinals the most senior NFL chartered club. 

Regarding those patches you posted, it's amazing that the NFL didn't come up with a better logo for NFL-100 than that. Looks second-rate, but that's just my own opinion.  I loved the AFL-50 patch in 2009, now that one was well thought out, but in 1960 Denver's socks weren't, hence the eventual bonfire of them.

20091019_095506_Broncos_500.jpg

17 minutes ago, ARTnSocal said:

I was more or less referring to uniforms, not the patches MJ.

Kinda like what they did in 1994 for NFL-75 and in 2009 for AFL-50 Legacy with all those cool throwback uniforms. They also had an NFL-50 left shoulder patch in 1969 which appeared on all the then NFL teams and on the Vikings Super Bowl IV jerseys when the Super-Chiefs beat them, proving that the J-E-T-S win over the then Baltimore Colts in SB-III was no fluke.

and technically in 1920 it was named the APFA and  wasn't renamed the 'NFL' until 1922.  Since I like being pedantic at times, 2019 will not be the 100th of the Chicago Bears, as they were originally the Decatur Staleys. Green Bay and the NY Giants entered the league in 1921. The Staleys moved to Chicago in 1921, year 2, and kept the Staleys nickname until switching to da 'BEARS' in 1923.  So . . . It would seem that it makes the Cardinals the most senior NFL chartered team. 

Regarding those patches you posted, it's amazing that the NFL didn't come up with a better logo for NFL-100 than that. Looks second-rate, but that's just my own opinion.  I loved the AFL-50 patch in 2009, now that one was well thought out, but in 1960 Denver's socks weren't.

It's definitely second rate. The College 150 patch looks better and I could have made a better looking logo than that one too. Even a copy of the 50th patch would have been a good look for the NFL patches.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

20 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

It's definitely second rate. The College 150 patch looks better and I could have made a better looking logo than that one too. Even a copy of the 50th patch would have been a good look for the NFL patches.

It seems both the AFL and NFL teams were wearing patches on the left shoulder of their jerseys during that 1969 season.

NFL-50 and AFL-10 

What I remember most is the scoreboard at the end of that Super Bowl IV game reading "THE SUPER CHIEFS' which I thought was really cool.

ab4f9a17afcadbe0a008bc89e7c7dc92.jpg

gty_super_bowl_04_len_dawson_jc_150126_2

200px-AFL_10-year_patch.jpg

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

That would be pretty stupid, since they will then be in their 101st season.

I remember them saying that but I could be wrong. If they saw that NFL logo I could see why they would.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

That would be pretty stupid, since they will then be in their 101st season.

Not necessarily ... they're kinda confusing the public, many who don't know NFL history from those early years, just as many don't know that college football was way bigger than the newly formed NFL back then.

Although the ACME/GB Packers were in existence as early as the 1910's, they didn't join the new league which became the NFL until 1921, it's 2nd season, meaning they aren't a 100-year NFL club member until 2020.  They must've been celebrating their 100 year existence as GB rather than their 100 year 'NFL' existence.  Which would mean they were formed as the Acme Packers way before 1919, I think? 

When I went to a game and saw Lambeau Field (Bills at Packers) I went to the GB Packers Hall of Fame, very closeby. They had some really old team apparel in glass casing from the early 20th Century, and I thought the team was formed even earlier than 1919. That leads me to believe they became GB in 1919 and before that they must've been 'ACME'.  

Will have to ask a Packers fan with some serious acumen of their history.

13 minutes ago, ARTnSocal said:

LOL pretty sure Gothamite is that fan.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

48 minutes ago, ARTnSocal said:

Opposite of a Packers fan here. Basically what went down is that in 1921 the ACME company bought the Indian Packing company that the Packers were named after and supplied them with equipment and uniforms that bore the companies name. But they were never affiliated with the Packers in any other way than them being called the ACME Packers because of said uniform. It was uniform advertising in it's original form. The Green Bay Packers and the ACME Packers are the same team that started in 1919

S8eR5Rf.png

Q2XFfoc.jpg

So are the Packers claiming 100th season last year and 100th anniversary this year? This has always been annoying to me. There is no consistency to whether teams celebrate the seasons or the anniversaries. If this is true, it is the first time that I can remember that a team has double dipped and done both back to back. 

m0AUSVV.gif

15 hours ago, ARTnSocal said:

Not necessarily ... they're kinda confusing the public, many who don't know NFL history from those early years, just as many don't know that college football was way bigger than the newly formed NFL back then.

Although the ACME/GB Packers were in existence as early as the 1910's, they didn't join the new league which became the NFL until 1921, it's 2nd season, meaning they aren't a 100-year NFL club member until 2020.  They must've been celebrating their 100 year existence as GB rather than their 100 year 'NFL' existence.  Which would mean they were formed as the Acme Packers way before 1919, I think? 

When I went to a game and saw Lambeau Field (Bills at Packers) I went to the GB Packers Hall of Fame, very closeby. They had some really old team apparel in glass casing from the early 20th Century, and I thought the team was formed even earlier than 1919. That leads me to believe they became GB in 1919 and before that they must've been 'ACME'.  

Hoo boy.  Lots to unpack here. 

There are a few rare historians who try to make the claim that the Packers were a continuation of one of Green Bay’s old town teams, founded in the 1800s.  I’m not one of them.

The Packers were founded in the summer of 1919 by Curly Lambeau, a Notre Dame student forced by illness to return home from school, and George Whitney Calhoun, the local newspaper editor.  The Packers spent their first two seasons (1919 and 1920) playing against local teams before they applied to join the NFL in 1921, its second season.  So the team (1919) is one year older than the league (1920).

For the longest time, the NFL insisted on recognizing 1921 as the Packers’ “founding” year, refusing to count the Packers’ two seasons before joining the league.   They sold plenty of merchandise with “EST. 1921”, which was particularly galling to those of us who study the club’s history.  A few years back the team petitioned the league to recognize 1919 as their founding, and the NFL relented.

Now, as to the name, Curly Lambeau got his employer to kick in money for equipment for the first few years.  That was the Indian Packing Company, from which the team took its name (and yes, they did consider “Indians” instead). The Indian Packing Company was bought by the Acme Packing Company in 1921, so when the Packers entered the NFL it was with Acme Packing as their sponsor.  Although they briefly wore “ACME PACKERS” across the front and back of their jerseys, that was the sponsor name. The team itself has only ever had one official name - just “Green Bay Packers”.

Hope this helps. 😉

8 hours ago, MN Wilkings said:

So are the Packers claiming 100th season last year and 100th anniversary this year? This has always been annoying to me. There is no consistency to whether teams celebrate the seasons or the anniversaries. If this is true, it is the first time that I can remember that a team has double dipped and done both back to back.

It wasn't on the uniforms in 1995 but that year and 1996 the 49ers were celebrating anniversaries. If your team name is the 49ers then you might as well celebrate the 49th Anniversary. I can only hope the Philadelphia 76ers do the same.

1006.gif

1005.gif

bSLCtu2.png

Archived