NFL changes 2019

FightingGoldenDevil

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, AndrewMLind said:

The only difference I actually notice in the Instagram photo collage is the collar is gray with a blue stroke rather than all-blue.

There isn't a photo in the collection that shows the collar. It looks like the collar because it's positioned above the nameplate...but look closely and you'll see it's a separate photo that is of the gray number with blue outline.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The last thing football needs is another team wearing a crappy all-black uniform. If you want to see that, just go to any High School game and you've got 50/50 odds of seeing some team trotting out the ultimate cliche in "tough guy" uniforms.  At least on the High School level they have the excuse that the players are 16 and 17 years old... the Panthers are an NFL team.  They really should consider dressing like one again.

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

There isn't a photo in the collection that shows the collar. It looks like the collar because it's positioned above the nameplate...but look closely and you'll see it's a separate photo that is of the gray number with blue outline.

🧐 I think you’re right. They cut the picture just right to make it seem like a seam, but also pretty difficult to tell with Instagram’s mobile zoom. In that case, I don’t think there’s a single change. The numbers just look gray-ish because of the lighting. 

2 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

The last thing football needs is another team wearing a crappy all-black uniform. If you want to see that, just go to any High School game and you've got 50/50 odds of seeing some team trotting out the ultimate cliche in "tough guy" uniforms.  At least on the High School level they have the excuse that the players are 16 and 17 years old... the Panthers are an NFL team.  They really should consider dressing like one again.

I’m sorry but if any team should have an all black it’s the panthers. And if I’m not mistaken it would be the only kind in the league. (Excluding alternates)

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

3 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

This post would make sense if it was a case of "black for black sake" and black wasn't a part of their color scheme from day one. 

Related image

And there's still plenty of blue throughout- socks, stripes, collar, accessories. What more are you looking for? This isn't some college football "blackout" uniform. This is the Carolina Panthers showing off their colors.

8 minutes ago, daveindc said:

This post would make sense if it was a case of "black for black sake" and black wasn't a part of their color scheme from day one. 

It is still BFBS.  

Any time a team chooses black as its primary color in the Age of Merchandising, that’s BFBS.

49 minutes ago, daveindc said:

Related image

And there's still plenty of blue throughout- socks, stripes, collar, accessories. What more are you looking for? This isn't some college football "blackout" uniform. This is the Carolina Panthers showing off their colors.

What more am I looking for?  Pants... silver ones, to be specific.

It isn't the use of black I'm objecting to.  The black jersey worn with silver helmets and silver pants with light blue trim is a perfectly serviceable look. The uniform they've been wearing since the came into the league is a few modifications away from being really good.  (The pointy helmet and pants stripes are relics, and the logo repetition on the jersey and pants is unnecessary.) But it became clear last year that the new sheriffs in charge were interested in moving in a more "modern" direction.  Which means matching dark jerseys and pants. And I don't like it, not on the Saints, not on the Chargers, not on the Seahawks, and not here.  The above look is not good, and switching to a black helmet only makes it worse.

This... is better;

spacer.png

45 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

It is still BFBS.  

Any time a team chooses black as its primary color in the Age of Merchandising, that’s BFBS.

I usually see eye-to-eye with you on most aesthetic matters, but this one is a little over-the-top. Sometimes black is appropriate for an identity, like it is here.

56 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

It is still BFBS.  

Gonna have to disagree with you here.  Were the colors trendy at the time that the team was founded?  Sure.  But how many 90s expansion teams have we seen who got rid of their original colors for being "too dated," only to adopt an even trendier identity?

Everything the Panthers have done in their entire existence has been consistent with the brand they've built since day one.  I don't love everything about it, but I certainly respect that the Panthers still look like the Panthers nearly a quarter century later.  That's rare nowadays, and they should be revered for it.

*single tapered stripe to match the pants.

The two stripes on the helmets are certainly a design element from the ‘90s (see Ravens, Titans) that needs to go, but the Panthers don’t feel like a team that would wear traditional stripes.

43 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

*single tapered stripe to match the pants.

The two stripes on the helmets are certainly a design element from the ‘90s (see Ravens, Titans) that needs to go, but the Panthers don’t feel like a team that would wear traditional stripes.

I could meet you halfway on that. Do this, get rid of the superfluous hip logo, and only wear silver pants and I'd be happy.  

8 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

I’m sorry but if any team should have an all black it’s the panthers. And if I’m not mistaken it would be the only kind in the league. (Excluding alternates)

The Jaguars all-black is technically their "primary," unfortunately, so it wouldn't be a first.

spacer.png

Of course, no team should make all-black their primary IMHO, regardless of being "true" to their mascot (seriously, that is soo irrelevant).If any team would have wanted to make an identity out of their all-black uniform, they should have done it before 2004 when every black and black-adjacent team decided it would be *so badass* for them to have a black alt in their closet. Its pretty much tainted now as the "go-to alternate," which is why the Jags have looked like such buffoons for awhile attempting to own it.

13 hours ago, Gupti said:

The Jaguars all-black is technically their "primary," unfortunately, so it wouldn't be a first.

spacer.png

Of course, no team should make all-black their primary IMHO, regardless of being "true" to their mascot (seriously, that is soo irrelevant).If any team would have wanted to make an identity out of their all-black uniform, they should have done it before 2004 when every black and black-adjacent team decided it would be *so badass* for them to have a black alt in their closet. Its pretty much tainted now as the "go-to alternate," which is why the Jags have looked like such buffoons for awhile attempting to own it.

Here's the Saints in all black. Since 2001.

Saints offensive line one of the keys to the Black and Goldâs success in 2018

Saints v Panthers X : News Photo

Archived