NFL changes 2019

FightingGoldenDevil

On 3/19/2019 at 9:42 PM, Ark said:

Perfect Browns uniform:

nfl_u_garcia_gb1_400.jpg

TGC-Jeff-Garcia.jpg

They’re not bad, though I prefer Brown over White with Orange or Brown socks for the traditional home set. I wouldn’t mind White over Orange on the road as the primary set as long as Cleveland’s all-white set gets some healthy usage.

It might be an unpopular opinion, but I’d keep all 3 colors for jerseys and pants options for the Browns. While the white and orange pants would (and should) get the vast majority of the usage, striped brown pants would look good with the orange jersey and occasionally white. Also, I don’t mind the 2000s orange alternates coming back as-is, drop shadows and all; I wished that the NFL allowed for alternates to have some differences from the primary set. Also, a couple redeeming elements that Cleveland’s set currently has that I wouldn’t mind keeping around (if the Browns tried to salvage the current set and make it a more Vikings-esque update) is to keep the up-shadows by flipping orange with the number/text color (white numbers, orange upshadow on brown and brown numbers, orange upshadow on white) and the shoulder stripes (just cut it back to maybe come to a point just after the shoulder cap).

All that said, however? I’d take the previous set as-is any day of the week.

I don’t feel the need to add any other colors to the Browns’ color scheme, but a couple colors that could be pulled off are cream/off-white (to give that “old-time football” feel that only the Browns can pull off, and silver/light gray (for similar reasons).

If the Color Rush program focused more on showcasing historical/alternate colors instead of shoehorning every team into a monochrome look, I like the idea of taking Cleveland’s classic Brown over White and replace the white with said silver-light gray (Brown jersey/Light Gray pants with light gray numbers and stripes on the jersey and Brown/Light Gray/Brown Brashier stripes on Orange helmet) for a Color Rush look that echoes the obscure use of silver pants circa 1950.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

I honestly think that’s a big reason why the new set (and the countless mockups out there that “fix” the stripes) don’t work as well. It makes the uniform look too stock and too contemporary.

The Browns’ classic set is kind of like the Giants’ uniform in that it’s a mess of all different patterns, but that tapestry effect is what makes it interesting and give it a richness that is lacking in an “everything matches” uniform. The only change major change I’d entertain on these is reversing the colors of the pant stripe, but I’m still torn because I know brown on the outside would coordinate nicely with the helmet stripe, but I think the extra orange down there balances the helmet shell quite well. For a team with a brand like the Browns, this kind of stuff works. For the Jaguars or Titans, not so much.

Perfectly stated. The whole concept of stripe consistency is like anything else... Nothing works as an absolute.

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

I honestly think that’s a big reason why the new set (and the countless mockups out there that “fix” the stripes) don’t work as well. It makes the uniform look too stock and too contemporary.

Yeah, the new set went complete overkill with "consistency" in this case. I like that old school sleeve stripe a lot. But the helmet/pants being opposite has always annoyed me with that old set. Having a consistent helmet/pant stripe in this specific case (i.e. brown as the outside and orange/white as the inside) I think works well. But keep that older sleeve pattern 5 stripes.

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I don't get that at all.

Braisher stripes seems to me to be the very Platonic idea of a professional look.  Especially when the pants match the helmets.

636670960749668456-barry1.jpg?width=2352kevin-brady_star-blog_not-a-direct-beasl920x920.jpghnczmwa54yq4f21ytpmg631486110.0.jpg

too much orange. its bright and loud; energetic. the subtleness of brown and white looks more professional

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

This all should have been done four years ago, but if the Browns restricted the stripes solely to the sleeve, did not use the college-style name across the chest (instead making it a smaller wordmark just below the collar like several other NFL do), simplified the numbers (in addition to making them white at home and brown on the road), removed the team name from the pants (and completed the stripe along the pants), these would be timeless and there would be no need to update next year.

18 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

This all should have been done four years ago, but if the Browns restricted the stripes solely to the sleeve, did not use the college-style name across the chest (instead making it a smaller wordmark just below the collar like several other NFL do), simplified the numbers (in addition to making them white at home and brown on the road), removed the team name from the pants (and completed the stripe along the pants), these would be timeless and there would be no need to update next year.

This is definitely true, but the Nike/NFL design team isn't about making the best uniform possible. Just about every design element is just added to be different and doesn't have any logical reasoning behind it. What do the carbon fiber stripes, extended sleeve stripes, contrasted stitching, orange numbers, etc have to do with Cleveland and the Browns? They can give us some BS explanations in the unveiling, but none of them are necessary.

20 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

This is definitely true, but the Nike/NFL design team isn't about making the best uniform possible. Just about every design element is just added to be different and doesn't have any logical reasoning behind it. What do the carbon fiber stripes, extended sleeve stripes, contrasted stitching, orange numbers, etc have to do with Cleveland and the Browns? They can give us some BS explanations in the unveiling, but none of them are necessary.

"the craftsmanship of the city and passion of the fan base"

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

9 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

The colors aren’t the issue, and look better than they ever have. Not sure how anyone sees black, to be honest. Looks so much better flat rather than shimmery (like in the Garcia photos).

I love the dark brown, but the orange does have a tendency to look flat, red, and/or lifeless on TV. The old orange was much more forgiving across multiple displays and color settings. Under the sun is best case scenario, overcast natural light is even pretty good, but it looks miserable at night under the lights. The flatness is actually the problem under artificial light. It’s a more vibrant orange, but it either looks like Texas orange or straight up red under stadium lights.

spacer.png

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

17 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

I love the dark brown, but the orange does have a tendency to look flat, red, and/or lifeless on TV. The old orange was much more forgiving across multiple displays and color settings. Under the sun is best case scenario, overcast natural light is even pretty good, but it looks miserable at night under the lights. The flatness is actually the problem under artificial light. It’s a more vibrant orange, but it either looks like Texas orange or straight up red under stadium lights.

I actually liked the new orange until you pointed this out and now I can't unsee what you're describing. Curse you. I'm convinced. Go back to the old orange.

3 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Ugh... White facemasks are universally bad IMO.  And gray on that shade of orange was gorgeous.

Might I suggest that neither of these are the correct color and that brown is the best?

*ducks for cover*

Archived