NFL changes 2019

FightingGoldenDevil

4 hours ago, jgiff17 said:

Buy madden relocate titans to Houston as oilers relocate Texans to San Antonio as the express. Eff the Texans and eff the titans and Nashville. 

Uhhh.. okay?

4 hours ago, jgiff17 said:

I really don’t think everyone would be down to totally change to the oilers but to take over all history of the Houston Oilers and the ability to wear Oiler throwbacks when and if there are more than one helmet allowed. Even if the nfl and Texans had a contract that they were to be worn only two times a year in the regular season only and all Houston Oiler history is now Texans history then I think this would be a great compromise 

A compromise implies that both sides give a little/get a little. Your proposal gives the Texans the rights to the Oilers throwbacks and the rights to the Oilers history. The Titans get...? 

The Texans are NOT the Oilers. The Titans are the Oilers. The history, and therefore the uniforms, belong to the Tennessee franchise. History isn’t just something that can be bought or traded or altered to please a fan base, no matter what the Browns/Ravens or Charlotte/New Orleans Hornets/Bobcats/Pelicans say. 

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Brian E said:

just a thought on the oilers-titans/texans thing:

i think it's kind of crummy to just dismiss the city of houston's affinity for the oilers as "sorry, it's the titans history." i would quibble with that. i doubt many people in tennessee are attached to the oilers name simply for the two seasons they played as the oilers in tennessee (two seasons that amounted to nothing more than a 16-16 record and a finish no higher than second place). 

we all understand the draw a brand has for a fan base. you grow attached to it, make associations with it, good and bad. the houston oilers meant a lot to generations of football fans that still reside in the city. does the oilers' lineage belong to the titans? yes. is that the same as it being the titans history? i would argue no. throw the name "oilers" around tennessee and i doubt in conjures up much. in houston? it's probably a lot more profound.

if i was the head of either organization, it's not a hill i'd die on. but if i'm the texans, i'd absolutely do an alternate uniform in powder blue/red/white, one shell rule or not (just swap out the decals). 

As a NorthStars fan, this.  The "history" belongs to the city and its fans, not to the owner who moved it.  I wish every move was treated like the Ravens/Browns

1 hour ago, jn8 said:

Uhhh.. okay?

A compromise implies that both sides give a little/get a little. Your proposal gives the Texans the rights to the Oilers throwbacks and the rights to the Oilers history. The Titans get...? 

The Texans are NOT the Oilers. The Titans are the Oilers. The history, and therefore the uniforms, belong to the Tennessee franchise. History isn’t just something that can be bought or traded or altered to please a fan base, no matter what the Browns/Ravens or Charlotte/New Orleans Hornets/Bobcats/Pelicans say. 

The difference with Cleveland is that the NFL decided on that before finalizing the move to Baltimore. New Orleans/Charlotte was the weirdest decision because what happens if the Pelicans decide they want to be the Jazz now? They've had their original identity taken away, why not create a new one with the name of the original team in New Orleans. If the Texans and Titans fell in to a similar compromise what happens during AFL celebrations? Do they both rep the Oilers? 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

7 hours ago, jgiff17 said:

Ok the give a little to the titans would be all the money made off of Oiler merchandise goes to the titans. I think that might spark a compromise 

So you want the Texans to wear oilers logos and uniforms but not get a penny from any jersey sales.  Tell me why in a million trillion years the Texans would do that? 

At the end of the day the Texans don’t want fans wearing oilers jerseys they want them wearing Texans jerseys.  If there was a serious demand (idk if there is or isn’t) and they eventually relented and wanted to do throwback game you can be sure and :censored: they want the $ from it. 

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

15 hours ago, tajmccall said:

As a NorthStars fan, this.  The "history" belongs to the city and its fans, not to the owner who moved it.  I wish every move was treated like the Ravens/Browns

You don't lose your history when you move. Just because some team plants roots, calls itself by the same name, wears the same uniforms does not mean it can just adopt a former teams history as their own. There is no unbroken lineage from the old Browns to the new Browns. The Ravens are the old Browns. 

Sure the fans can hold these memories in their hearts and minds. I don't take issue with that. But the history belongs to the franchise that created it not the people who observed it. When that franchise moves its past accomplishments and failures moves with it

2 hours ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

You don't lose your history when you move. Just because some team plants roots, calls itself by the same name, wears the same uniforms does not mean it can just adopt a former teams history as their own. There is no unbroken lineage from the old Browns to the new Browns. 

I would agree on most cases, but this one isn’t so.  Franchises in the NFL are represented by a certificate issued by the league. And in Modell’s case, he was forced to give up his old franchise, which was then issued to another Cleveland ownership group.  It’s the one example where an unbroken lineage did remain behind when a team moved. 

Yeah yeah yeah, but about these draft hats... for probably at least a couple years now, my avatar has been the Buffalo city flag with the Bills' throwback logo replacing a way-too-detailed seal in the middle. If Nike (edit: New Era) makes this happen for real, I'll buy 20. I'd have to.

2000px-Flag_of_Buffalo,_New_York.svg.png

https://ktrh.iheart.com/content/2019-03-28-poll-should-houston-texans-sport-oilers-uniform/  just some uni nerds that got the attention of the owner huh People outside houston just don’t understand. Jj watt watson and Hopkins didn’t say anything about making money. And they aren’t asking to be the oilers just wanting to celebrate the franchise that once called Houston home but now has no connection to the city from where it came. You see any titans sporting Houston Oiler stuff I haven’t do any oilers even associate themselves with the city or the team

Well they wouldn’t be the ones making money off the oilers merch selling other than some enforcements from the jersey sales they’d get regardless (nflpa wouldn’t allow them to not be able to get it) it’s the owners that must agree, and the Houston owner agreeing to take no money from it at all is not going to happen. Sorry to ruin your pipe dream. 

I think the name and colors should belong to the city. I grew up in Louisiana as a Jazz fan when they were in New Orleans. To this day, I can't embrace the Pelicans and I couldn't embrace them as the Hornets. Not even the Pelicans' Mardi Gras uniforms can sway me.

It's been 40 years, but in my mind, the NBA in New Orleans should be represented with a team named the Jazz wearing Mardi Gras colors. Otherwise, I'd be fine with the Pelicans some day moving to Seattle and being rebranded as the Supersonics.

The Oilers' colors and name should have stayed in Houston. Bud Adams was butthurt Houston wouldn't build him a new stadium (never mind they essentially destroyed the Astrodome by ripping out the scoreboard and putting in football seats for him only to leave eight years later). And the NFL let him decide to "retire" the name and colors, which was a travesty. 

36 minutes ago, cheo25 said:

I think the name and colors should belong to the city.

Couldn’t disagree more. 

36 minutes ago, cheo25 said:

I grew up in Louisiana as a Jazz fan when they were in New Orleans. To this day, I can't embrace the Pelicans and I couldn't embrace them as the Hornets. Not even the Pelicans' Mardi Gras uniforms can sway me.

It's been 40 years, but in my mind, the NBA in New Orleans should be represented with a team named the Jazz...

The Jazz were in NO for five years. They have been in Salt Lake City for forty years. The Jazz belong in Utah at this point. 

Anyway history should follow the organization. 

On 3/30/2019 at 2:18 PM, GFB said:

I’m sure I’m alone in this opinion, but I’d take the Texans brand over the Oilers every day of the week.

That seems to be the popular opinion of this thread. (I’d personally disagree though)

5 hours ago, jgiff17 said:

https://ktrh.iheart.com/content/2019-03-28-poll-should-houston-texans-sport-oilers-uniform/  just some uni nerds that got the attention of the owner huh People outside houston just don’t understand. Jj watt watson and Hopkins didn’t say anything about making money. And they aren’t asking to be the oilers just wanting to celebrate the franchise that once called Houston home but now has no connection to the city from where it came. You see any titans sporting Houston Oiler stuff I haven’t do any oilers even associate themselves with the city or the team

I'm reading this as though it's being spoken really quickly in one long breath.

Archived