58 minutes ago, Olmec said:

History belongs to the city. Case closed. Compromises can be made for stats and record keeping purposes but logos/identity/branding always belong to the city. 

That's not how businesses work.

46 minutes ago, Olmec said:

History belongs to the city. Case closed. Compromises can be made for stats and record keeping purposes but logos/identity/branding always belong to the city. 

History belongs to the team, not the city. The current Quakes will never be the original Quakes, despite the fudging of the record books. The Browns, although they have the certificate, will never be the "real" Browns. The Ottawa Senators cannot be the original team, despite a pre-game ceremony during their first season (the NHL ruling that they couldn't adopt the records of the Silver Seven pretty much squashed this discussion).

The Giants and Dodgers have every right to claim and parade around relics of their New York/Brooklyn past. George Mikan's number gracefully sits in the rafters of the Staples Center. The Flames proudly use their Atlanta "A" for alternate captains. The Colts rightfully claim their Baltimore heritage, while the Rams didn't openly disdain their LA heritage during the St. Louis exile. Nobody has a problem with the A's honoring guys from Philadelphia or the Braves paying tribute to their days in Boston and Milwaukee.

A relocated team should be free to chose how they honor their old name, branding, and history. Glorification and rejection are both acceptable options.

4 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

History belongs to the team, not the city. The current Quakes will never be the original Quakes, despite the fudging of the record books. The Browns, although they have the certificate, will never be the "real" Browns. The Ottawa Senators cannot be the original team, despite a pre-game ceremony during their first season (the NHL ruling that they couldn't adopt the records of the Silver Seven pretty much squashed this discussion).

Ultimately I think it's the fan base in Cleveland that invalidates that statement, for Cleveland! In general I think your point is true. 

I don’t understand the “history stays in the city” argument. Think about the Raiders - they started in Oakland, then moved to LA, then moved back to Oakland, and are now moving to Las Vegas. Should the Raiders history have been left in Oakland when they moved, creating a new team in LA... only for that team to “go defunct” and have the Oakland franchise reinstated... only to have Oakland keep the history again when they move to Las Vegas? That would create three separate Raiders teams in the official records - the Oakland Raiders (1961-1981, 1995-2019), the Los Angeles Raiders (1982-1994), and the Las Vegas Raiders (2020-present). Why complicate history like that just to “please” a fanbase in a city that the team left?

Do the Los Angeles Chargers only have 3 years of operation so far - 1961, 2017, and 2018?

History books would be unnecessarily complicated if history was reset every time a team moved.

10 hours ago, TSHARE18 said:

So the color combination can’t be used by any team? If it’s just the name, I’d just do the current Texans uniforms in Oilers colors and be done with it. 

That only works if they want sky blue and red full time.  NFL uniform regulations require that alternate uniforms be in standard team colors, except for throwbacks. 

This is one of those endless arguments we seem to love around here.  I'll jump in feet first every time some wants to discuss gray facemasks or the one helmet rule, but is it ok if I don't give a rat's ass about whether or not the Cleveland Browns are the Cleveland Browns?

This is very obviously an April Fools joke, but we do see how the Bears’ patch looks on the jersey. 

I do think it’s an excellent April Fool’s joke. 

This could actually be a great cap graphic, if they replace the two figures with a 1940s player in throwback navy and gold and a 1960s player. 

spacer.png

9 hours ago, mania said:

That's not how businesses work.

"It's not your ball team or our ball team, it's my family's ball team. I paid for it and worked for it." - Colts owner Robert Irsay, April 2nd, 1984.

15 minutes ago, Bluefalcon said:

"It's not your ball team or our ball team, it's my family's ball team. I paid for it and worked for it." - Colts owner Robert Irsay, April 2nd, 1984.

"Well, at least until I want a new stadium.  Then, it'll be everyone's team again, until the bond passes."

Not sure what to expect for the Buccaneers, if the city flag is it's inspiration.

2000px-Flag_of_Tampa,_Florida.svg.png

5 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

Not sure what to expect for the Buccaneers, if the city flag is it's inspiration.

2000px-Flag_of_Tampa,_Florida.svg.png

Probably a Florida flag, or even a pirate flag (unlikely).

1 minute ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Probably a Florida flag, or even a pirate flag (unlikely).

I thought of the Florida flag, and i guess it's possible....but i kinda feel that with other teams in the state they might pass, unless all three use the Florida flag.

1 hour ago, AstroBull21 said:

I thought of the Florida flag, and i guess it's possible....but i kinda feel that with other teams in the state they might pass, unless all three use the Florida flag.

If Dallas can use Texas flag when the other team in the state is literally called the Texans, I don’t think that teams care if they use a state flag even if there are other teams in that state.