NFL changes 2019

FightingGoldenDevil

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

White helmets -  5 - Chargers, Colts, Dolphins, Bills, Cardinals.

Navy helmets - 6 - Rams, Bears, Broncos, Texans, Titans, Seahawks.

Going the other way with the Texans helmet would then support the counter argument to this, as it would flip the numbers, so it's not a very good argument..

Also, prior to last night, there were 6 white helmet teams..

Plus, white helmets are bland.. the point of "too many" gets reached much sooner with a bland color helmet shell than a solid, bold, team-colored shell.. I never said there were more white helmets than any other color.. just too many already.. no need for more.. 

Also, I noticed you left off the other (and primary) reason... That white prototype Texans helmet looks cheap like a peewee team's helmet.. it's just bad.. no need to drop a nice, signature look for bland crap that several other teams could adopt..

3 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Not as bland as navy.  The Gap of helmets. 

Navy is at least a team color.. and a nice backdrop for teams with bright secondary colors.. the Titans helmet is a train wreck, but for the most part, teams use navy helmets nicely.. white is so plain and boring and bland.. plus it limits combination options, and knowing how teams are these days, limiting what a team can look good in almost guarantees they'll choose an option that looks horrible on a regular basis..

23 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

Navy is at least a team color.. and a nice backdrop for teams with bright secondary colors..

So is white, considering that they modeled their design after the Texas flag.

And navy is too drab a background for a logo that’s mostly navy.  White would allow the blue and red to pop equally, whereas more than half the Texans’ logo recedes into the background color. If their helmet logo was more white than navy, I’d agree with you.  But it isn’t. 

37 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

Also, I noticed you left off the other (and primary) reason... That white prototype Texans helmet looks cheap like a peewee team's helmet.. it's just bad.. no need to drop a nice, signature look for bland crap that several other teams could adopt..

Yeah, I "left off" that "other reason" because it's nonsense.

Opinions are not facts.

Also, how does a white helmet limit combination options?

6 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Yeah, I "left off" that "other reason" because it's nonsense.

Opinions are not facts.

Also, how does a white helmet limit combination options?

Because currently, any of the Texans jersey/pants combinations can be worn without creating awkward color balance.. with a white helmet, they couldn't wear their battle red jersey with navy pants (like they frequently do) without it looking ridiculous and bottom-heavy.. 

Also, if "opinions are not facts" why did you try to address my point that there are too many white lids in the NFL? Never said there are more white lids than other colors, just that there are too many to be adding another, particularly when the team has a better option currently in use

23 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

So is white, considering that they modeled their design after the Texas flag.

And navy is too drab a background for a logo that’s mostly navy.  White would allow the blue and red to pop equally, whereas more than half the Texans’ logo recedes into the background color. If their helmet logo was more white than navy, I’d agree with you.  But it isn’t. 

By that same logic, the Texas flag features a navy section with a pointy logo (star).. the Texas helmet is navy with a pointy logo (steer head logo).. so, navy works within the flag motif as well

1 minute ago, Gothamite said:

But it doesn’t work aesthetically.  Too much navy overwhelms the logo. 

I disagree.. to oldschool's point, opinions aren't facts.  You and I rarely disagree, but this is one of those times.. 

Any helmet logo gets lost in translation at a certain distance.. sure, some are better than others and can be identifiable from a bit further away, but generally speaking, folks in the nosebleeds just see little blobs on the helmet anyway.. as long as the numbers are legible, you're good.. and I place overall uniform aesthetic above helmet logo aesthetic, but that's just my preference.. the Texans have a very solid look.. I think switching to a white shell would damage their look tremendously.. I don't see any current issues with their helmet logo situation, so trying to improve it is of no importance to me.. IMO there's more value in their current look (menacing dark helmet, displaying the state flag colors prominently, fantastic color balance, etc) than there would be from trying to improve the helmet logo's legibility on the helmet.. that's just me though

29 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

Because currently, any of the Texans jersey/pants combinations can be worn without creating awkward color balance.. with a white helmet, they couldn't wear their battle red jersey with navy pants (like they frequently do) without it looking ridiculous and bottom-heavy.. 

They’ve worn that combo exactly one time in their history, back in 2016. 

Aside from their all-navy combos, both the regular all-navy and Color Rush versions (both of which shouldn’t be worn anyways), a white helmet would work well with all of these:

spacer.png

If they were to switch to a white helmet, then a navy facemask like the white prototype helmet would be a must IMO, and a red/navy/red stripe to match the pants would be welcomed as well.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

2 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

They’ve worn that combo exactly one time in their history, back in 2016. 

Aside from their all-navy combos, both the regular all-navy and Color Rush versions (both of which shouldn’t be worn anyways)

Googled the set earlier to see which socks they typically wore with the red jersey, and saw more red on navy than red on white.. going back, looks like several of those were photoshopped concepts and there were just lots of photos from that one game..

it's a great look though, and one they should wear a bit more often..

And I agree completely with the 2nd part.. all navy is trash

Speaking of the Texans, and in particular a white helmet, eight years ago (!) I mocked this up... dropping this in here to gauge your thoughts.

3dc60b8496457.560be7295e655.png

(Fake edit: I may have to go dig into my files and update this...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

53 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

With a white helmet, they couldn't wear their battle red jersey with navy pants (like they frequently do) without it looking ridiculous and bottom-heavy.. 

You say that like it's a bad thing.

If wearing a white helmet discourages ugly combinations, even better. Sign me up.

2 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

You say that like it's a bad thing.

If wearing a white helmet discourages ugly combinations, even better. Sign me up.

I think it's a pretty solid combination.. helmet and pants matching is a pretty standard football aesthetic..

Also, as we all know, nothing discourages teams from wearing ugly combinations nowadays.. they'll wear whatever someone thinks is 🔥🔥🔥, so if you want someone to "sign you up" for the possibility of them looking as bad as possible, then go for it.. as for me, I like to limit them to uniform pieces that can look decent when worn together

4 hours ago, wyopokes2 said:

I saw this on the Madden Modding discord. Thought it was interesting. In my opinion it shows that Navy is better for the Texans current identity.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

This makes me actually want Texans-as-Oilers to happen.

7 hours ago, wyopokes2 said:

I saw this on the Madden Modding discord. Thought it was interesting. In my opinion it shows that Navy is better for the Texans current identity.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I don't understand why the Titans couldn't have done something like this with their last redesign, minus the red. Columbia blue is so much better looking than navy blue, although I do think the Texans identity is better suited for navy. Let's all agree that both of these teams should not have navy helmets and that one of them should make the switch to white.

Archived