NFL changes 2019

FightingGoldenDevil

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve been watching Texans games my whole life in person and on TV and not once have I thought that half of the logo gets “lost” on the navy lid. I think the thickness of the white outline helps with this. I think a white helmet would look good on it’s own but the navy helmet just compliments the other aspects of the uniform so much better and helps with the color balance. I’m hoping for minor tweaks here for the ‘Xans with the pants stripe or socks & to wear the battle red tops more, but nothing beyond that. 

Agreed, I’m forced to watch the Texans play at least twice a season and not once have I looked at their helmet and thought “Damn, sucks that all that I can see on the helmet is a pointy red blob with a Star next to it.” The key line does its job and the helmet as a whole triumphs in its simplicity.

Not to mention I personally just think this sucks.

spacer.png

1 minute ago, Newport said:

Why not? 

They’ve never had silver, they are called the Texans, and have a logo based on the Texas flag, which has no silver. Having that color scheme would make them the patriots of the south. I’m sure there are more

1 hour ago, Newport said:

Then give them a white helmet so they’ll look like everyone else.

Instead of that navy helmet that makes them look like Chicago, Seattle, Denver, Los Angeles, and Tennessee.

(FWIW, no, I don't think they look especially like any of the teams I listed, but if someone can say a white helmet makes them "look like everyone else" then I can point out that there are just as many navy helmets.)

3 hours ago, Gupti said:

Agreed, I’m forced to watch the Texans play at least twice a season and not once have I looked at their helmet and thought “Damn, sucks that all that I can see on the helmet is a pointy red blob with a Star next to it.” The key line does its job and the helmet as a whole triumphs in its simplicity.

Not to mention I personally just think this sucks.

spacer.png

The Texans' half red/half outline helmet logo is easily one of the weakest in the league, imo. If they use the logo correctly and go with the white helmet like they originally intended, it would rank at the top:

Chicago Bears v Houston Texans : News Photo

Image result for texans ramsImage result for texans battle red uniformstumblr_pq16ruHUmh1u7t2opo1_540.pngtumblr_ppj6fjp7hT1u7t2opo1_540.jpg

CqeI3P4WgAAh_-O.jpg

10 minutes ago, daveindc said:

The Texans' half red/half outline helmet logo is easily one of the weakest in the league, imo. If they use the logo correctly and go with the white helmet like they originally intended, it would rank at the top:

Image result for texans rams

The Texans helmet looks pretty awesome in that photo, TBH. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

13 hours ago, daveindc said:

Chicago Bears v Houston Texans : News Photo

Image result for texans ramsImage result for texans battle red uniformstumblr_pq16ruHUmh1u7t2opo1_540.pngtumblr_ppj6fjp7hT1u7t2opo1_540.jpg

CqeI3P4WgAAh_-O.jpg

That mock-up of Watson looks great; it’s so much bolder and more impactful on white. It probably could use a little exploration of a stripe design (red stripe and blue stripe with a little gap in between them?) and then a little redesign of the other uniform elements to coordinate, but there’s something there.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

3 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

That mock-up of Watson looks great; it’s so much bolder and more impactful on white. It probably could use a little exploration of a stripe design (red stripe and blue stripe with a little gap in between them?) and then a little redesign of the other uniform elements to coordinate, but there’s something there.

Not to be that guy, but thank you! I'd shared that picture of Watson with the white helmet somewhere on this board a while back, along with this Oilers' version. I just like the idea of a white helmet, as it could open the door for Oilers throwbacks -- especially with Tennessee again adopting part of Houston's look with their new navy helmet. 

I agree that a helmet stripe would help complete the look. I've mocked another one here to match the current pant stripe, although I also like your idea of having a little space between the navy and red so that the colors aren't bleeding together as much. 

089fHra.jpg

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

I always thought if Houston wanted to change their uniform, it would be designating the red jersey as a primary and the blue as an alt. A white helmet would look nice but I think it would be a lateral move.

Archived