NFL changes 2019

FightingGoldenDevil

17 minutes ago, Dodgeryaqui8016 said:

Might be biased but I think the seahawk uniforms are in the top ten of the league despite the monochrome.  I like these better than any uniform they have had; expansion 76 & steel blue. 

Yep, might be.

The green uniform element exists solely to draw attention to the swoosh. The patterned helmet strips isn't visible unless you are right on top of it. Why? Because Nike.

It's where I sit.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, NFLfan10 said:

Man that Jets helmet would look slick af if it had a double white stripe or shard stripe to fill that awkward negative space

No way. That would ruin it. It looks slick af without it already. The entire uniform is the spiritual update of these uniforms. 

Image result for ken o'brien

you can't stripe the helmet and still achieve the same callback effect. "Awkward negative space"? Do the Falcons, Bears, Texans, Jaguars, Chiefs, Chargers, Vikings, Patriots, Cardinals and any other team without a stripe on the helmet have "awkward negative space"? 

PvO6ZWJ.png

19 hours ago, Newport said:

No!

lot of folks just want to switch because they’re tired of seeing the same thing.

go back to when they changed years ago. Everyone hated the drop shadow and now??  

To me personally I feel like we switched to the current uniform to chase old glory days of joe and the candle stick thats just me I would love to see and update on those 90 unis though we need to go back to are 9ers roots we strayed to far away

Norfolk,VA Philadelphia,PA VMD,(Virginia Maryland DC)

8 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Yep, might be.

The green uniform element exists solely to draw attention to the swoosh. The patterned helmet strips isn't visible unless you are right on top of it. Why? Because Nike.

Some of y'all really hate nike with a passion. It's crazy. Sure their redesigns have been avg at best, but if the above statement were true, wouldn't every new redesign have a nike swoosh highlighting element? 

I actually really like SEA's sleeve design when seen as a modernized NW native american art element, much like their logo.  

10 hours ago, AgentColon2 said:

Here are some more random shots.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'm never going to get used to the stupid football on their helmet. Like they're going to get confused with a hockey team, so we better put a football on our football helmets to let everyone know what sport we're playing...

9 minutes ago, NikeRuinsEverything said:

I'm never going to get used to the stupid football on their helmet. Like they're going to get confused with a hockey team, so we better put a football on our football helmets to let everyone know what sport we're playing...

if there was only somewhere to draw inspiration from...perhaps a stylized script that evoked the JET era of the 70's-80's that did not use a football and might even resemble an airline wordmark.

What's up with the claims that the Jets helmet looks black now? I don't see it. It's clearly a medium shade of green and gets brighter when light hits it because of the metallic flakes or whatever. It's nothing we haven't seen with the Broncos or Eagles.

bSLCtu2.png

11 hours ago, AgentColon2 said:

Here are some more random shots.

spacer.png

Disappointing how the green looks so dark even under sunny skies. I thought it was supposed to be a brighter green, which I guess it is, but not by much. Looks better on the helmet due to the metallic effect but on flat material... way to dark for my liking. 

15 hours ago, Dodgeryaqui8016 said:

Might be biased but I think the seahawk uniforms are in the top ten of the league despite the monochrome.  I like these better than any uniform they have had; expansion 76 & steel blue. 

Agreed! The Hawks current home set was specifically designed to be worn monochomatically. The big green patterned pants stripe only works for me because of the consistent navy blue backdrop. The grey pants with navy striping lack the sharp contrast of the green over navy and pulls the grey from the jersey forward too much, as opposed to the green in the jersey popping when the Hawks wear the navy pants with the green stripe. Without the pants, the only green the Hawks sport borders the numbers and sneaks in as a triangle on the sleeve caps - not enough to stand out the way they intended, IMO.

I

29 minutes ago, C-Squared said:

😂 Fair enough!

This combo is drab & deflated:

img20506093.jpg

I don't see that as especially drab.  I think they just look a little more like an actual NFL team in gray pants.

I do agree that the gray pants are confusingly free of green.  The simple solution to color the pattern detail in the middle of the stripe green. Then burn all the other pants.

6 hours ago, hawk36 said:

Disappointing how the green looks so dark even under sunny skies. I thought it was supposed to be a brighter green, which I guess it is, but not by much. Looks better on the helmet due to the metallic effect but on flat material... way to dark for my liking. 

Is it not possible those are just the Jets' old practice jerseys? It's the old number font. Not that uncommon for teams to keep using old practice jerseys. 

9 hours ago, shaydre1019 said:

Some of y'all really hate nike with a passion. It's crazy. Sure their redesigns have been avg at best, but if the above statement were true, wouldn't every new redesign have a nike swoosh highlighting element? 

I actually really like SEA's sleeve design when seen as a modernized NW native american art element, much like their logo.  

I think the redesigns made during Nike's tenure have been hit and miss. Certainly no better or worse than some of the crap that came out during the Reebok era (Bengals?).

But the idea that Nike is working a way to highlight the swoosh in their designs has been floated before around here. A little tin-foil-hat, to be sure, but there is some evidence.

Seattle's sleeve features a bright green element that completely surrounds the swoosh, like a brightly colored frame;

spacer.png

In fact, on the road, it would seem logical for that triangular element to stay green, but instead it goes to navy with a green swoosh, which stands out better;

spacer.png

In the case of the Vikings, you could make the argument that the curved striping forms a "pocket" that, like Seattle, specifically frames out the logo;

spacer.png

And then there's the Jags and the Titans;

spacer.png

spacer.png

In both cases, the logo is oddly colored.  With Jacksonville's road uniform, they went out of their way to drain all teal out of every part... it's all black and white. Except for the swoosh, which gets the bright teal treatment. And with the Titans, its embarrassingly obvious. There's really only one reason to make that logo red.

I'm not saying these are crimes against nature or something, but when people bring up the manufacturer introducing elements that serve to mostly highlight themselves over the team, this might be some of the stuff they're referring to.

Or, on the other hand...

spacer.png

Whether or not Nike goes out of their way to highlight their logo is one thing, @oldschoolvikings. I think it's more of a discussion that Nike has to leave their mark everywhere they go. Whether it's the FlyWire collar of the Seahawks teardrop. Nike doesn't seem able to restrain themselves from making sure everyone knows it is a Nike uniform. A friend recently purchased a game-used Vapor Untouchable jersey, and noted that the mesh area on the collar is actually sewn over in the back, removing any potential ventilation that Nike could (if they didn't already) claim would boost performance. 

I don't think it's all too far-fetched to think Nike does design uniforms with the idea of showcasing the swoosh better stuck in the back of their heads. Nike comes first, then everything else.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

The swoosh has become a team logo in many cases, and it’s obviously intentional. I can’t blame Nike - if the NFL allows it, why wouldn’t they do it? I blame the teams for not caring enough about their brands to allow Nike’s to overtake theirs. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, C-Squared said:

Agreed! The Hawks current home set was specifically designed to be worn monochomatically. The big green patterned pants stripe only works for me because of the consistent navy blue backdrop. The grey pants with navy striping lack the sharp contrast of the green over navy and pulls the grey from the jersey forward too much, as opposed to the green in the jersey popping when the Hawks wear the navy pants with the green stripe. Without the pants, the only green the Hawks sport borders the numbers and sneaks in as a triangle on the sleeve caps - not enough to stand out the way they intended, IMO.

I wouldn't mind a scenario where the hawks color the feathers lime green and navy on the white pants to be able to pop out more with the navy blue jersey at home.  i think that could work if they ever decided to not go monochromatic at home anymore.  

11 hours ago, shaydre1019 said:

1 -  I disagree that their designs have been average at best. If I were to rank NFL uniforms, the majority of the Nike re-designs would be below 16, and thus NOT average.

2 - See @oldschoolvikings post above to see exectly how Nike highlights its swoosh.

I don't hate Nike. I only wear NIke casual shoes. I DO hate Nike's design team, and how most NFL teams have bowed to their designs.

It's where I sit.

Archived