NFL changes 2019

FightingGoldenDevil

37 minutes ago, jgiff17 said:

If the head needs to be acclimated to the helmet and not the other way around then why can’t their be more than one helmet especially for those teams that need a different shell to throwback 

Because, as has been stated MANY times before, players can switch helmets by choice all they want, the issue is when someone tells them they HAVE to get a second helmet for one game. It’s not a comfort thing. It’s not a “the helmet needs to be broken in” thing. It’s simply the NFL doing the best they can to avoid being sued for forcing players to get another helmet when they didn’t want to

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/14/2019 at 11:10 AM, j'villejags said:

There seems to be a lot of smoke for the Jaguars to potentially see a throwback alternate this season. Mitchell & Ness is now dropping this -- 

Hell yes. Hopefully Nike would not include that side panel though. Oof.

I realize these are just for retail, and I don't buy jerseys. Do they really have to use the black stripe 1997 one for McCardell though? They only used it for one season, and the ones without that stupid, unnecessary black stripe look way better.

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

As much as I like those photos, I'm not sure M&N is dropping any hints other than "M&N has new throwback unis we are going to sell next month."

You're absolutely right -- this just got me excited about the possibilities!

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

22 minutes ago, Eszcz21 said:

I realize these are just for retail, and I don't buy jerseys. Do they really have to use the black stripe 1997 one for McCardell? They only used it for one season, and the ones without that stupid, unnecessary black stripe look way better.

I'm not sure why '97 was chosen for the Mitchell & Ness jerseys -- I'm just hoping Nike wouldn't follow suit. Like @WSU151 said, I don't necessarily think it's an indication of what's to come. 

'95 was the inaugural season, and it'd make a lot of sense to go with that look with this being the team's 25th anniversary season. The '99 team was the greatest team we've ever had, and it happened to have the quintessential Jaguars uniform. That would easily be my preference of being the inspiration for any potential throwbacks.

'97 certainly feels like an arbitrary choice for a throwback.

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

On 5/13/2019 at 8:15 AM, Gothamite said:

I’m curious.  I would love to hear that argument.

How do you think a too-loose helmet helps improve player safety?  What can that do to prevent the brain from striking the skull?

As I mentioned in another post, it would allow the helmet to shift, twist, adjust, etc slightly with the impact before the head begins to be affected by the impact.. also, as I stated, all the major manufacturers are actually creating helmets that do exactly this (albeit with shell configuration rather than fit).. if a player has a severe collision with another player, and his helmet is allowed to twist a few degrees, shift a quarter-inch, and his head can travel an extra eighth of an inch, all while actually being somewhat slowed down more gradually due to chin strap, etc still providing some functional support, and the twisting/shifting of the helmet allows the impact to be somewhat deflected due to the adjusted geometry if the impact, then the net result would be less severe than with a snug helmet that causes the head to stop more abruptly, doesn't shift or twist to absorb any direct or rotational forces, and remains "squared-up" to the impact would certainly cause the brain to smack the inside of the skull more severely and with more force...

And believe me guys, I'm definitely not advocating for players to start running around in giant helmets.. I'm just looking at the current system, the way the current system has been applied for decades, and wondering if it's the best policy, OR (Since I actually do think helmets should fit properly), does it open the door for further evolution of helmets - with something like a "floating shell" that truly does shift/twist with impact, along with some of the other technologies that are currently implemented.. Schutt's F7 seems to be the closest to having a "floating" 2nd shell with its plates, and Vicis's Zero1 has the entire shell attached with small "rods" or "columns" that sorta do this as well, but there's a company that sells secondary shells that offer a small additional gap, and allows some shifting upon impact that I like the idea of as well.. I'd like to see these concepts all fit together in one helmet to offer the maximum level of protection possible.. anything that prolongs the head's deceleration and helps to avoid the abrupt stops or sudden changes of direction can only help the concussion issue - at least for the more severe impacts.. 

Also worth noting, all major helmet models in recent history have neglected to put their air bladder technology in the front of the helmet (arguably the most important place for football collisions).. sure, Riddell's "flex" cutout and Schutt's F7 plates offer something to mitigate front/forehead impact, they still only protect the head with foam.. foam is the only material offered in the front forehead area in the Riddell VSR4, Schutt Super Pro, Riddell Revolution, Riddell Speed, Schutt Vengeance, Riddell Speed Flex, Schutt F7, and many others.. it seems the Schutt DNA and Schutt Air XP are the only models that offer air bladders in the front (which coincidentally are filled with a thicker foam than the bladders in the sides/rear of the helmet), so it feels like for most of football history, the helmet manufacturers have generally failed to put their current technology in the most important location of the helmet.. the DNA was Schutt's first helmet to do so, and it wasn't until the Speedflex that Riddell did something up front.. Vicis's technology seems to be pretty consistent throughout, so I can't knock them, but I think the helmet companies have duped us for a long time as well.. however they do seem to finally be trying to make helmets that actually are safer, I just find it interesting that a lot of the benefits they're building into their helmets actually correlate somewhat directly with the same sort of effects that a slightly loose helmet might offer..

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Even if all that is true, and I am skeptical, it doesn’t answer my question.  That doesn't do anything to prevent the brain from striking the interior of the skull....

In the same sense that a properly-fit helmet also does nothing to prevent the brain from striking the interior of the skull, then I agree.. nothing shy of placing a barrier between the brain and skull would do that... But if it prolongs the deceleration and allows the helmet to absorb more of the impact than the head does, it's a step towards improving the situation.. which I think some of the newest helmets actually do an effective job of.. take a kid who is a freshman in high school now with a Vicis helmet and follow his career through NFL retirement, and compare his brain scans to Junior Seau's or Aaron Hernandez's.. I would imagine you'd see a notable difference.. the issue is, really until about 2013 or so, the vast majority of players were playing with technology that hadn't evolved much at all in 3 decades.. even still, some Riddell Speeds have foam that's not unlike that found in VSR4's.. hopefully new rules and new helmets can have a positive effect on players' health and safety

6 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Technology won’t solve the crisis.  Only new rules can.  

While it still isn't proven and is being tested. This Q-Collar that Luke Keuchley and Vernon Davis have been wearing might help cushion the brain while striking the inside of the skull. The thought behind it makes sense, hopefully this ends up being able to help prevent, or at least reduce the risk of concussions. http://q30innovations.com/q-collar/

1 hour ago, Eszcz21 said:

While it still isn't proven and is being tested. This Q-Collar that Luke Keuchley and Vernon Davis have been wearing might help cushion the brain while striking the inside of the skull. The thought behind it makes sense, hopefully this ends up being able to help prevent, or at least reduce the risk of concussions. http://q30innovations.com/q-collar/

That's an interesting idea.  But don't forget - it's not about concussions.  Whenever the NFL talks about concussions, it's because they hope you'll forget about the sub-concussive impacts that happen on every single play.

On 5/15/2019 at 2:23 PM, Gothamite said:

That's an interesting idea.  But don't forget - it's not about concussions.  Whenever the NFL talks about concussions, it's because they hope you'll forget about the sub-concussive impacts that happen on every single play.

So you don’t think cushioning the brain doesn’t prevent that either?

12 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Prevent it?  No. 

No helmet prevents the brain from striking the interior of the skull upon impact.

No current helmet prevents that.. that's what research and development are for.. and as I stated previously, helmets remained largely unchanged for 3+ decades.. let's give the newer (and yet to be seen) tech a chance before writing everything off with absolutes..

I tend to agree that preventing everything is near impossible, but mitigation and limitation can go a LONG way in helping to alleviate these issues

I was reading a few pages back and someone mentioned the Steelers logo with its use of orange (yes, orange, not red) and blue, but the team not using the colors anywhere else in their brand.  You all may know this already, as jersey aficionados, but if not, I'd like to clear it up.  As a 35+ year season ticket holder, I've answered this many, many times.

The Steelers logo was not originally created for the team.  It was the logo of the American Iron and Steel Institute, which was then appropriated by US Steel and used on its promotional materials.  It can still be found on several old mills in western Pa.  The original logo had the word Steel instead of Steelers and had yellow, orange, and blue hypocycloids.  These were used to promote the attributes of steel: yellow lightens your work; orange brightens your leisure; and blue widens your world. The logo's meaning was later amended to represent the three materials used to produce steel: yellow for coal; orange for iron ore; and blue for steel scrap.

The logo has a great deal of meaning for people in our region, since most of us have steelmaking in our blood.  Why the franchise has never really adopted any of the other colors in a meaningful way probably rests on simplicity's sake.

Like I said, I'm sure many of you knew this info, but I like to share. 

8 hours ago, WavePunter said:

No current helmet prevents that.. that's what research and development are for.. and as I stated previously, helmets remained largely unchanged for 3+ decades.. let's give the newer (and yet to be seen) tech a chance before writing everything off with absolutes..

I tend to agree that preventing everything is near impossible, but mitigation and limitation can go a LONG way in helping to alleviate these issues

Then you and I will have to agree to disagree. Technology may be able to mitigate the impacts somewhat, but reducing the number of collisions themselves through rule changes is a certainty.

I’d rather focus on the solutions we know will work while we wait for some magic fix that may or may not do what the manufacturers promise. 

1 hour ago, djam2410 said:

Dolphins will have a white 1966 "color rush" throwback next year.

Should be able to retain the regular throwbacks as well

Hoping they wear the championship era orange-aqua-orange pant stripes with it, as opposed to the 1966-only aqua-orange-aqua stripes they have been wearing with their throwbacks...
 football-miami-dolphins-mercury-morris-i

Archived