NFL changes 2019

FightingGoldenDevil

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The wording on the press link implies these might replace the aqua throwbacks. Is there any team in the league that has a double throwback?

https://www.miamidolphins.com/news/dolphins-will-wear-white-throwback-uniforms-in-2019

The Dolphins again will wear their throwback uniforms in 2019, but this time with a twist.

Tom Garfinkel, the Dolphins’ Vice Chairman/President/CEO revealed on Twitter and Instagram on Saturday morning that the team would wear white throwback uniforms for the Sept. 15 home game against the New England Patriots.

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

1 hour ago, fouhy12 said:

Those are gorgeous. Miami needs to adopt that color palette and striping full time. 

Of all the discussion that has revolved around the Miami Dolphins, this is the best thing anyone has said.

Under the assumption you’re also saying keep the logo, this would be the best case scenario. Maybe a tweak or two to the logo itself, but happy medium of past and present is what Miami needs. There’s no need to revert back to the throwbacks.

IMO, the previous logos are outdated classics and should be labeled as such.

42 minutes ago, djam2410 said:

The wording on the press link implies these might replace the aqua throwbacks. Is there any team in the league that has a double throwback?

https://www.miamidolphins.com/news/dolphins-will-wear-white-throwback-uniforms-in-2019

The Dolphins again will wear their throwback uniforms in 2019, but this time with a twist.

Tom Garfinkel, the Dolphins’ Vice Chairman/President/CEO revealed on Twitter and Instagram on Saturday morning that the team would wear white throwback uniforms for the Sept. 15 home game against the New England Patriots.

i believe the plan is to wear the Aquas twice as well. from what i understand, the rule is you can have 2 alternates as long as 1 of those is a throwback; they just happen to have 2 throwbacks

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

4 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Of all the discussion that has revolved around the Miami Dolphins, this is the best thing anyone has said.

Under the assumption you’re also saying keep the logo, this would be the best case scenario. Maybe a tweak or two to the logo itself, but happy medium of past and present is what Miami needs. There’s no need to revert back to the throwbacks.

IMO, the previous logos are outdated classics and should be labeled as such.

Fix the orientation of the current modern Dolphin to match the throwbacks and then use the throwback colors and striping and I think you have a winner. 

7 hours ago, fouhy12 said:

Those are gorgeous. Miami needs to adopt that color palette and striping full time. 

I would have no issue with the red-orange (or 'coral') returning.

But no thanks on the striping. The helmet and pants stripes don't even match (and they should for consistency).

10 hours ago, djam2410 said:

Dolphins will have a white 1966 "color rush" throwback next year.

Should be able to retain the regular throwbacks as well

Really dislike how orange fills up the negative space of the nines on his shoulders. Was that a normal occurrence on jersey numbers back in the 60's and 70's?

Hotter Than July > Thriller

2 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

Really dislike how orange fills up the negative space of the nines on his shoulders. Was that a normal occurrence on jersey numbers back in the 60's and 70's?

That's how they had it back in the day 

temp01_Emanuel--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

9 hours ago, djam2410 said:

That's how they had it back in the day 

temp01_Emanuel--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

Its true that some numbers filled negative space that way in certain seasons 

Dolphins%2072%20Road%20Larry%20Csonka%20

however the dolphins uniform in the 70s experienced many nuanced changes.  There was a discussion on some thread here a while back on it.  A lot of those changes focused on pant stripes, socks, and the dolphins head position.   But the negative space on the numbers was another element that changed.  The photo above was from 1972.  Here’s s another year.  Not certain which one but it was post 72 pre 80

The throwbacks are amazing.  People love  them.  They’re my favorite too.  I know there was some disappointment from certain circles that they weren’t made full time last year.  But I wonder perhaps the team knew when the first redesign rolled out that certain elements really hurt the jersey (the washed out orange and the adjacent navy) and that maybe before moving on from the logo and basic uniform structure of the modern look they should give it another try and fix what didn’t work with it. 

I think the new uniforms are very nice. But it’s biggest drawback is the existence of these sublime throwbacks.  They’re so great that it is just sad knowing they’re sitting in the closet most weeks. 

Also aqua football pants pants are atrocious. 

2 hours ago, THRILLHO said:

The Redskins and Dolphins play this season in Week 6. If the Redskins were smart and debuted throwbacks of the ones in this picture, that would make for an incredible matchup.

But then again, two weeks later, Miami plays Pittsburgh and Pittsburgh has already confirmed the reappearance of the 1979 throwbacks from last season so the league really does have options with uniform matchups if you look hard enough 

43 minutes ago, mmajeski06 said:

At the same time, kind of like the throwbacks being special - especially since Miami goes the extra step and does the throwback end zones as well. 

Off topic but I’d love to see the Florida panthers roll out a third jersey with the logo in your avatar 

2 hours ago, THRILLHO said:

The throwbacks are amazing.  People love  them.  They’re my favorite too.  I know there was some disappointment from certain circles that they weren’t made full time last year.  But I wonder perhaps the team knew when the first redesign rolled out that certain elements really hurt the jersey (the washed out orange and the adjacent navy) and that maybe before moving on from the logo and basic uniform structure of the modern look they should give it another try and fix what didn’t work with it. 

the latest changes were driven by a different CEO and creative team than the 2013 versions. so, yes the “team” wanted to fix some things, but it was quite a different team by then, and a matter of convincing Ross to make some changes. the changes were subtle in an attempt to do what made the most sense and not go into a meeting like “we just like this better”. but say “Jimmy Johnson brought blue from the Cowboys and thats not really us”, then you’ve got a problem that people care to fix

45 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

The Redskins and Dolphins play this season in Week 6. If the Redskins were smart and debuted throwbacks of the ones in this picture, that would make for an incredible matchup.

But then again, two weeks later, Miami plays Pittsburgh and Pittsburgh has already confirmed the reappearance of the 1979 throwbacks from last season so the league really does have options with uniform matchups if you look hard enough 

they’ll wear the whites against the Patriots. i think thats a squandered opportunitiy; add Indy and Buffalo to a great list of uniform matchups that would both be aethetically pleasing and historically relevent 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

33 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

the latest changes were driven by a different CEO and creative team than the 2013 versions. so, yes the “team” wanted to fix some things, but it was quite a different team by then, and a matter of convincing Ross to make some changes. the changes were subtle in an attempt to do what made the most sense and not go into a meeting like “we just like this better”. but say “Jimmy Johnson brought blue from the Cowboys and thats not really us”, then you’ve got a problem that people care to fix

Thanks for the insight.  The process you describe sounds very thoughtful which is good to know.  

@BrandMooreArt one more thing.  The more modern design is a thousand times better with the updates.  The passage of time I believe will be kind to that design and provided the team can continue to show the original uniforms on the field it can give the team two looks to showcase which is good for sales and helps to cater to multiple audiences.  We all have our favorites though 

12 hours ago, THRILLHO said:

Its true that some numbers filled negative space that way in certain seasons 

however the dolphins uniform in the 70s experienced many nuanced changes.  There was a discussion on some thread here a while back on it.  A lot of those changes focused on pant stripes, socks, and the dolphins head position.   But the negative space on the numbers was another element that changed.  The photo above was from 1972.  Here’s s another year.  Not certain which one but it was post 72 pre 80

Believe it or not, these are both from the 1972 season...the top being from Super Bowl VII. In 1970 and '71 the Dolphins wore stripeless jerseys, in 1972 they introduced those shown in the bottom photo, with striping and a thin number font. However, many players didn't like the fit and went back the the older jerseys, causing both styles to be on the field at the same time...which is what you see in the top photo.

In 1973 new jerseys were again introduced with striping and thicker numbers, which became the standard jersey thru 1986...

Archived