NFL changes 2019

FightingGoldenDevil

From an average viewing distance, the new NFL 100 v neck logo is too small, and just a visual mess. Now you can't make out either of the logos. 

spacer.png

The dolphins photos confirm that to me.

Couldn't they have kept the shield a normal size, and had a chest patch for 100 yrs?

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, MattMill said:

From an average viewing distance, the new NFL 100 v neck logo is too small, and just a visual mess. Now you can't make out either of the logos. 

Couldn't they have kept the shield a normal size, and had a chest patch for 100 yrs?

i never felt the NFL had the right solution from the beginning; that is only one example why. the NFL 100 logo was a unique project. the League reached out to all the teams and opened it up for submissions—they wrote a brief and crowdsourced the teams for logos. 

call me biased, but i think our best concept was the better, more elegant route. i felt like the logo would likely be used in place of the shield, so my thought was why not keep the shield and do something within that containing shape? it would be an easy switch-eroo. i didnt think they'd ever do a jersey patch though, teams still need to use their Captains patches and have room one the other side for another thing. usually, anniversary patches. i think ultimately, the NFL really wanted to push the narrative of "next 100 years" so a football ascending upwards was their choice to meet that. ours was also a bit of an anti-brief route anyway— i didnt like the idea of "next 100 years" and wanted something more classic, celebratory of the past 100 years. they almost went for it. i believe it was their 2nd or 3rd choice

spacer.png

spacer.png

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

^They almost need to go back to the Reebok era where the NFL shield was contained within its own shield 

spacer.png

Those had EQUIPMENT spelled out above the shield. They could have 100yrs and the NFL sheild contained within its own shield. 

Symmetry wise, 100 with NFL shield below it is quite an eye sore. But I guess it's a little eye sore. 

It was finally getting to be the right size and focal point. 

spacer.png

Visually it'll now be half the size within the same visual space? Disaster

12 hours ago, McCarthy said:

The throwbacks look better than their regular uniforms, because obviously, but I don't love the idea of going back to a throwback full-time without correcting some of the period-specific eccentricities. Those things work in a throwback game because it's accurate, but for your every game uniform take the opportunity to clean those things up. 

All I'd change is:

1. match the pants stripe to the helmet stripe. It's a better presentation of the colors together and it lets the pants and helmet harmonize. 

2. a normal stroke on the numbers. 

3. cleaned up version of the old logo, which they kind of already did in the late 90's, but do that without using blue. 

Agree on #3 - there has to be a way to clean up the old logo, and update it for modern times, without going full 90s. 

Kind of like how the Jets tweaked this monstrosity:

new-york-jets-circa-1963.jpg

To look like this for modern apparel:

545773037_o.jpg

15 hours ago, THRILLHO said:

Well done.  Now let’s do long stripes

0d5adc77642fcec837cacf55cea4bda0.jpg

I think you might have me there. I fold.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 6/3/2019 at 11:22 AM, leopard88 said:

The socks may be wrong on this image.  The original had blue and orange striped socks . . . and I really hope this version does too.

spacer.pngspacer.png

There were two sock variations in 1936:

http://www.gridiron-uniforms.com/GUD/controller/controller.php?action=teams-season&team_id=CHI&year=1936

1936_ChiBears.png

The white orange and blue socks being worn in only 3 games. With the white uniform and blue pants combo, I think I like the white orange and blue socks better, but for the other uniforms, the blue and orange were better, especially with the orange jersey, blue pants look.

2 hours ago, pitt6pack said:

http://www.gridiron-uniforms.com/GUD/controller/controller.php?action=teams-season&team_id=CHI&year=1936

1936_ChiBears.png

The white orange and blue socks being worn in only 3 games. With the white uniform and blue pants combo, I think I like the white orange and blue socks better, but for the other uniforms, the blue and orange were better, especially with the orange jersey, blue pants look.

this is my favorite NFL uniform of all time. well, the white jersey + 3-color sock set is. its a masterclass example of how to make a bold and functional uniform.

there are no stroked/outlined elements, everything is a solid shape and lends itself to legibility of those elements even from far away. there are 3 orange stripes on the jersey and 3 on the socks. so even though the jersey has a broken pattern, it still hooks to the socks well, full length (knee to ankle) and different in color from the pants— today's NFL socks usually make the pants look like high waters or as if the player is wearing tall boots. with so many bold stripes on this thing, you need some negative space. using the darkest color on the pants is perfect and gives the illusion of a solid base— compare to the blue-over-khaki set which looks top heavy; weak legs. then, the helmet is playing a bit of jazz. its stands out in a good way, being just different enough to be interesting, but not annoying. black cleats may have been the only option, but its still the right choice even if they had them. doesnt distract from whats above. and even the contrast collar sort of plays into the striping pattern. a nice detail

A+++

GRAPHIC ARTIST

3 hours ago, pitt6pack said:

1936_ChiBears.png

The white orange and blue socks are more consistent with the jersey, but I still like the orange and blue ones better with the uniform.  That may be because I've only ever seen that set before.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 6/4/2019 at 1:36 AM, Jungle Jim said:

This has probably been discussed, but I'm not a fan of the orange on the TV numbers not being cut around the numbers, but instead being a solid sea of orange.  While historically correct, it's doesn't look good.

Agreed ... I favor little tweaks for asthetics over 100% historical accuracy when it comes to throw backs.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

On 6/4/2019 at 12:19 PM, BrandMooreArt said:

1. yea, i just think it makes it worse really. you're adding color and (larger) shape into the uniform, trying to fill every space. i just see it the opposite way— i think stripes will draw your attention most of the time. 

You're not adding color to this Dolphins uniform by using the helmet stripe on the pants, though. There's already a stripe present on the pants and since there's already a stripe there it makes sense to match it another set of stripes somewhere else on the uniform to avoid that visual clash. The helmet stripe isn't that large either. It's not like it's 80's Niners big. 

I suppose I reject this thesis that pants stripe are this over-looming detail that is better understated or non-existent when the uniform calls for stripes, as the Dolphins does. A football uniform is a set of 4 parts and the best ones are the best ones because all 4 part works together and work off of each other to achieve balance and visual harmony. A stripe that doesn't match anything, like the Dolphins throwbacks, or like Auburn's as another example, creates this visual vibration that is far more noticeable than if it fit in with the rest of the set. 

i think a lot of the teams that do this dont justify the aesthetic;

I'm not sure what you mean here. Are you saying teams like the Packers or Cowboys or Raiders or the Bills or Lions or even the current Dolphins are doing it wrong? You'd prefer they have plain pants or a stripe that doesn't match the stripe on the helmets? 

id like for them to push more towards the Dolphins route and subdue their pants stripe (i liked the Browns plain brown pants because that uni is built on stripes much the same way. i like the resting point). agree to disagree here

We will have to agree to disagree because those brown pants were one of the most poor design choices I've seen in the NFL ever. You want football pants to take a back seat to the rest of the design, but I thought those plain brown pants were the height of unignorable, stick-out-like-a-sore-thumb design specifically because they didn't match anything in that set. A set that is built on stripes looks weird when one of the elements is missing stripes. A set of stripes down the leg would've better tied the pants to the rest of the pieces in the uniform and made the pants look like they actually belong with the jersey and helmets instead of looking like they were rush ordered out of an Eastbay catalog. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

2 hours ago, McCarthy said:

You're not adding color to this Dolphins uniform by using the helmet stripe on the pants, though. There's already a stripe present on the pants and since there's already a stripe there it makes sense to match it another set of stripes somewhere else on the uniform to avoid that visual clash. The helmet stripe isn't that large either. It's not like it's 80's Niners big. 

I suppose I reject this thesis that pants stripe are this over-looming detail that is better understated or non-existent when the uniform calls for stripes, as the Dolphins does. A football uniform is a set of 4 parts and the best ones are the best ones because all 4 part works together and work off of each other to achieve balance and visual harmony. A stripe that doesn't match anything, like the Dolphins throwbacks, or like Auburn's as another example, creates this visual vibration that is far more noticeable than if it fit in with the rest of the set. 

I'm not sure what you mean here. Are you saying teams like the Packers or Cowboys or Raiders or the Bills or Lions or even the current Dolphins are doing it wrong? You'd prefer they have plain pants or a stripe that doesn't match the stripe on the helmets? 

We will have to agree to disagree because those brown pants were one of the most poor design choices I've seen in the NFL ever. You want football pants to take a back seat to the rest of the design, but I thought those plain brown pants were the height of unignorable, stick-out-like-a-sore-thumb design specifically because they didn't match anything in that set. A set that is built on stripes looks weird when one of the elements is missing stripes. A set of stripes down the leg would've better tied the pants to the rest of the pieces in the uniform and made the pants look like they actually belong with the jersey and helmets instead of looking like they were rush ordered out of an Eastbay catalog. 

i think we just fundamentally disagree with our approaches to achieving the same goal. 

"A football uniform is a set of 4 parts and the best ones are the best ones because all 4 part works together and work off of each other to achieve balance and visual harmony."

i agree 100% with that— i don't believe everything needs to be the same or even repeat it's shapes/patterns in order to achieve it, especially the helmet-pants connection. I believe any uniform built on a large, bold stripe pattern (Packers, Dolphins, Cowboys, Browns, etc) would be better by allowing that stripe to stand out in the most important place (helmet or jersey), and nothing should compete with the number (Browns). any repetition of a stripe/pattern is best if it becomes a secondary element (either in scale or fewer colors), not a direct repeat of the primary, which is how a lot of those uniforms are designed. a single stripe (1 color) may have improved the Browns brown pants, but repeating the helmet stripe is not the right move.  

ultimately, i think if you focus on visual principles and balance and harmony and forget the rules of what has to hook to what, you'll get better, more interesting results. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

I hope the NFL will be full of throwbacks for the 100th Anniversary season. I'm already very happy to see the white Dolphins and Bears throwbacks but I hope there's more coming next season.

The socks work well with the helmet, but I'd rather there be some white in there.  Either way, I like the overall look.  Well done.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 6/4/2019 at 4:15 PM, MattMill said:

spacer.png

The dolphins photos confirm that to me.

I’m too mesmerized by that Dolphins throwback jersey to care about the NFL neck logo.  

Archived