NFL changes 2019

FightingGoldenDevil

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Mitch B said:

Excuse me, I meant orange not red. 

I grew up thinking the Chicago Bears colors were black and red.  Sometimes my mind reverts back to that incorrect programming.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

15 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Purty.

The navy facemask is a nice choice, considering the helmet that actually went with this uniform had no facemask.  It always bugs me when a team switches to a gray mask for a throwback uniform, even when the original had no mask at all (the Packers do this IIRC).  I guess the the thought is that older helmets all had gray masks, so a fauxback to a leather helmet will somehow look more authentic with a gray mask, but in my mind that perpetuates the faulty logic that gray masks are outdated, instead of just a handsome design choice.

Just wait until transparent face masks. 

I'd say that uniform looks fantastic! I'm glad they went with the white jersey.

its been my personal favorite uniform for a long time. im extremley happy to see it in action now. from the promo shots, the only real flaw i see is the players were wearing white cleats; i hope they change to black for the games.

i would seriously support this as a full time uniform and theres so much to learn from this era of uniform when it comes to todays designs. the socks alone make it worth dong this uniform, incredible character that makes the standard NFL sock design seem like an afterthought. i guess it usually is. Bears should sell those socks in the team store as well. boom! new revenue!

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

These are some of the best throwbacks of all-time IMO and definitely tops among those representing the earliest era of the NFL.

2 hours ago, Scrumptious Ham said:

The 1936 designer who made these were way ahead of the times. He would have flourished as a designer today. I wonder who did this, and if he had more work. 

LOLWUT?  He actualy behind the times, since most teams ditched stripes after the 20s, and were using solids with either colored panels or super thick stripes by the 30s.  Below are just a few uniforms from 1923 - there's plenty of other examples throughout the decade.

That's not to say it's a bad design, but let's not pretend it was trendsetting or anything special for the times.  

1923_Buffalo.png?6182 1923_Canton.png?61821923_ChiCardinals.png?61821923_GreenBay.png?61821923_Minneapolis.png?61821923_Toledo.png?6182

1936_ChiBears.png

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

18 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

LOLWUT?  He actualy behind the times, since most teams ditched stripes after the 20s, and were using solids with either colored panels or super thick stripes by the 30s.  Below are just a few uniforms from 1923 - there's plenty of other examples throughout the decade.

That's not to say it's a bad design, but let's not pretend it was trendsetting or anything special for the times.  

1923_Buffalo.png?6182 1923_Canton.png?61821923_ChiCardinals.png?61821923_GreenBay.png?61821923_Minneapolis.png?61821923_Toledo.png?6182

1936_ChiBears.png

The Bears had the best uniforms that year.

The Chicago one is the only one that would work today. All about stripe placement. What do you know, it looks perfect on a modern cut. The rest of those examples, not so much.

Edit: What a fun surprise plot twist if all of those designs were from the same guy. I want to learn more about 1930s nfl design. 

4 hours ago, Scrumptious Ham said:

The 1936 designer who made these were way ahead of the times. He would have flourished as a designer today. I wonder who did this, and if he had more work. 

1 hour ago, Scrumptious Ham said:

1 hour ago, Scrumptious Ham said:

What a fun surprise plot twist if all of those designs were from the same guy. I want to learn more about 1930s nfl design. 

What guy?

You have a strange conception of how sports design worked 50+ years ago...

4 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

You guys may think the Bears had a crazy uniform for 1936 but the Giants in that same season were even crazier.

I don’t think anyone’s saying they had a crazy uniform. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 6/8/2019 at 1:27 PM, Mitch B said:

I'd add a small red wishbone "C" logo to the sides of the helmet.  It would look good with those stripes.

It's a throwback.  If the original didn't have a logo on the side of the helmet, the throwback shouldn't have one either.

Archived