Bengals concept with white helmet

Discrim

So a few days ago, I began thinking of doing a Bengals concept for the first time in a long while.  Wasn't sure whether I wanted to do a full set or not, so I decided on the lone third route.  My train of thought was centered on making the tiger stripes a bit less literal, not out of any dislike of them-the Bengals' stripes are among my favorite features on a football uniform-but just to see it for myself.  Given the "less literal" aim, obviously an actual helmet logo would be needed, so I brought back the tiger head that they never should have ditched.  Along the way, I figured it'd be best to use a different color helmet.  Probably could've gone with a black helmet, but I figured white would stand out more, with two of their three division rivals already wearing black lids.  The end result is reminiscent of the Corey Dillon-era set, though that's not a bad thing.  I figure one thing, if I decide to do a full set, I'd likely go in an orange-dominant direction like so.

bengalsalt18.png

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Interesting idea. I like the full-body logo on the sleeves, and the white/orange/white combo is nice. The wordmark is a bit wonky when paired with the number font.

I'd keep the black stripes on an orange background only, so maybe move the stripes down to the orange sleeve cap. Having them at an angle might look cool, too.

I like the tiger head logo on the helmet, just not the stripe. Cincy needs to use the TIGER logo more and not a stupid :censored:ing "B" with stripes. You have maybe the most iconic animal in the world as your logo and you don't really use it. Reason #259 why they're the "Bungles" They just bungle evrything they touch.

Believe me @vtgco, I was torn regarding how to have the stripes on the jersey.  I went with the shoulder stripe variant like they used to use, but I did consider going with sleeve stripes, the main reason I went with white for the base of the shoulder stripes was to maintain some contrast, though I just as easily could've used thin white outlining.  Funny thing, in the doodling stages, the thought that there were many directions I could take this idea in frequently crossed my mind (your angle idea is something I might use).  Hell, some unintended consequences of changing the helmet from orange to white have crossed my mind, some good (white tiger variant, anyone?), some bad (white dome-orange jersey-black pants, anyone?)

it's actually kinda crazy, come to think of it...the myriad of possibilities that could spring from lessening the "tiger cosplay" theme a bit.

I'm likely going to avoid Northwestern striping, but I'll show you this Cardinals concept from 2013 as an example of how I'd play around with the game's most "old-school" striping pattern if I do go that route.  The colors (cardinal red/navy/copper) were a result of one of Colorwerx's rare forays into the Concepts forum, wherein he laid down a number of color schemes he thought would work well, and whoever wanted to take a stab at them could do so.

azcards13main.png

azcards13alt.png

2016cubscreamsig.png

On 12/12/2018 at 11:26 PM, Ice_Cap said:

How is it that even a new @Discrimihater concept makes me feel nostalgic?

If I had the answer to that, I'd bottle it. :p

In any event, I decided to go ahead and make a full set.  Like I said I would, this is orange-dominant...but the full tiger didn't quite work out on the helmet.  I made the helmet stripe more narrow than on my first try, and decided to give the angled sleeve stripe idea a try.  Perhaps against my better judgment, I included black pants as an option.  To maintain a constant appearance of only having the less literal tiger stripes on orange, the home stripes have a thin white border.

bengalsmain18.png

The third jersey is basically Bengals classic in a new form, and as I threatened, I included my own take on the "white tiger" Color Rush-the tiger head becomes all white, with a thin orange outline, and fittingly, here is the only place where the black stripes are superimposed over white instead of orange.  Similarly to the orange jersey, the stripe on the pants, jersey and helmet have thin orange outlining for a tiny bit of contrast.

bengalscolorrush18.png

2016cubscreamsig.png

• Discrim changed the title to Bengals concept with white helmet

Archived