NBA Changes 2019-20

kimball

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/16/2019 at 2:21 PM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Script hats!!!!  😍  I love those.  I still have a couple of original ones.

The only good instance of templated sports merch. I miss them terribly. What a long decline from that to [team]/Star Wars mashup shirts.

Every now and then Mitchell & Ness does a snapback run that's pretty close in spirit to the classics, at least.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

On 5/7/2019 at 7:57 PM, QueenCitySwarm said:

I've always felt like the Heat are really missing out on potential with their brand. The whole red/black thing is kinda overdone (even if they beat the Raptors to the punch, both the Bulls and Blazers were way before the Heat) and the Vice brand is a way for them to be unique and locally-tied. At least, I feel like they should implement the orange/yellow in their logo into their jerseys, since I believe black/red/yellow is unique in the NBA at least (though if the Rockets went back to red/yellow then I guess not). To me, nothing about red/black screams Heat, but if you add yellow, that makes it a little better. To me, a Vice rebrand is the way to go, however.

Looking back thirty years, I say the Miami Heat brand is just fine with minor tweaks. If anything, I say that in the first ten years of Heat history, the unis did not match the branding. The Miami Heat were distinct but the branding from the court to the uniforms made them feel incomplete until they moved to the AAA (American Airlines Arena). Since '99 the Heat have had consistent branding and three championships with minor tweaks courtesy of the NBA, Nike, and Adidas. If anything, the only thing I would tweak is the logo. The technology has improved to a point to bring back gradient to the logo.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Old School: 1988 - 1999 (Miami Arena)

New School: 1999 - present (American Airlines Arena)

5 hours ago, LoneStarDemar said:

Though I agree that those are definitely way better than their regular home uniforms, I prefer the Mardi Gras version...

Nike-NBA-New-Orleans-Pelicans--2323-Anth

4 hours ago, truepg said:

Nah, not feeling it. All of their sets are meh, though. I just don't like the brand much.

This was the best New Orleans look by far:

Chris+Paul+Philadelphia+76ers+v+New+Orle

I miss those pinstripes! I'll never understand why they didn't keep the creole blue in the color scheme when they changed names. They had a good look going, all they needed was a new logo and name, the uniforms were perfect IMO.

On 5/22/2019 at 2:27 PM, colortv said:

Could you give us any sort of confirmation if they’re aware how (to my knowledge) unpopular the black is?

I honestly wonder who it was that came up with the idea for the black side panels on the Lakers purple jersey. That organization is run by people who very clearly understand the history of the Lakers, so I'm not sure what happened.

I was especially frustrated because I was ready to buy a Lebron Lakers jersey and I wanted it to be the purple one since I don't have that yet and it's my favorite color. The moment I saw the black side panel I didn't even bother buying it.

bSLCtu2.png

12 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

I honestly wonder who it was that came up with the idea for the black side panels on the Lakers purple jersey. That organization is run by people who very clearly understand the history of the Lakers, so I'm not sure what happened.

I was especially frustrated because I was ready to buy a Lebron Lakers jersey and I wanted it to be the purple one since I don't have that yet and it's my favorite color. The moment I saw the black side panel I didn't even bother buying it.

The black panel also results in inferior shoulder/neck piping on the rest of the jersey:

usp-nba_-los-angeles-lakers-at-new-york-

ct-1552450224-s9wpce8ic3-snap-image

Honestly I kind of like the black. It’s very untraditional but it adds a nice stealthy feel to the purple. My only complaint is how they put the yellow and white lines together because both are bright colors that together just create a thick white line. there should be black or purple line in between them for contrast. Also don’t get why the stripes are on the side of the jersey when on every other uniform they have it’s only on the shorts. I’ll try to make an edit

Before: lebron-james-of-the-los-angeles-lakers-l

after:

99-D931-CB-C84-F-429-D-9-BA7-768582-B1-F

IMG-7122.gif

The thing that bothers me the most about the Lakers' look is how inconsistent it is. I've always been a believer in that a home and away uniforms (in basketball) should follow the same template. If there's no side panels on the home, there should be none on the roads.

The striping pattern is especially weird to me because the on the yellow uniforms, the stripes appear "within" the armholes, while the jersey color appears again on the outside of the stripe. While on the purple uniform, they appear on the edge.

It's like they made one of those "Spot the Differences" between these two pictures.

As a side note, I've always hated (too strong of a word) stripes like the ones on the yellow uniform. I'm a big fan of three even stripes on waistbands and armholes for basketball, but the jersey color should either be in the middle of the three, or not at all present - in this case purple/white/purple. Though I will give Nike credit here for not having yet another NBA team with solid stripes at the neck and armholes. That just looks lazy and uninspired.

14 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

My guess would be it was influenced by the use of black on Cleveland's jerseys during LeBron's last few seasons. I feel like the design process may have been based on whether or not LeBron would've liked certain design choices. They may have used his likeness as a model.  

2 hours ago, Satomiblood said:

My guess would be it was influenced by the use of black on Cleveland's jerseys during LeBron's last few seasons. I feel like the design process may have been based on whether or not LeBron would've liked certain design choices. They may have used his likeness as a model.  

That would have been very foolish of them considering there was no guarantee that lebron was gonna be a laker for 99% of the design process.

4 hours ago, dont care said:

That would have been very foolish of them considering there was no guarantee that lebron was gonna be a laker for 99% of the design process.

You mean they were guaranteed LeBron during the last 99% of the process. Don't lie, it was clear months before he actually announced it, the writing was all over the wall.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

8 hours ago, pelicanfan said:

Honestly I kind of like the black. It’s very untraditional but it adds a nice stealthy feel to the purple. My only complaint is how they put the yellow and white lines together because both are bright colors that together just create a thick white line. there should be black or purple line in between them for contrast. Also don’t get why the stripes are on the side of the jersey when on every other uniform they have it’s only on the shorts. I’ll try to make an edit

Before: lebron-james-of-the-los-angeles-lakers-l

after:

99-D931-CB-C84-F-429-D-9-BA7-768582-B1-F

that-is-why-you-fail-Yoda-Quote-Masters-

magic8.jpg

aaty093.jpg

kobe-mj-1998-asg-msg-ap.jpg

10 minutes ago, colortv said:

that-is-why-you-fail-Yoda-Quote-Masters-

magic8.jpg

aaty093.jpg

kobe-mj-1998-asg-msg-ap.jpg

I was trying to keep the black theme hence why I said I actually liked it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ yellow and white lining needs contrast otherwise it looks like a thick white line from a distance. Might as well make black the contrasting color if black is part of the mix now 

IMG-7122.gif

15 minutes ago, pelicanfan said:

I was trying to keep the black theme hence why I said I actually liked it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ yellow and white lining needs contrast otherwise it looks like a thick white line from a distance. Might as well make black the contrasting color if black is part of the mix now 

I think if they just used the same format as the new home jersey with no black they could have negated that issue.

Archived