kimball

NBA Changes 2019-20

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, mjd77 said:

 

I agree.  I'd rather they come up with a modernized version of the sunburst unis.  Maybe keep the sunburst pretty close to what it was and come up with a new wordmark and number font.  Could probably redesign the shorts too.

 

They did that! In what, 2012? 2013? I thought it was a good unique look that honored the 90s teams. I’m not sure why they switched to such a bland boring look less than 5 years later. Felt like such an unnecessary thing.

 

176638849.0.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, kimball said:

 

They did that! In what, 2012? 2013? I thought it was a good unique look that honored the 90s teams. I’m not sure why they switched to such a bland boring look less than 5 years later. Felt like such an unnecessary thing.

 

176638849.0.jpg

Those while needing some tweaks are miles better than their current, beveled mess

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^I thought that look was so horrible, I don't even like to recognize that as an attempt at modernizing the sunburst.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, kimball said:

 

I didn't mind the purple main road uniforms. But, holy crap, I didn't notice how intrusive the side panels were until I went hunting for a picture example!

 

2311308942_68aaa4b466_b.jpg

Off-topic but have the Suns retired Steve Nash's number yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Teal said:

Off-topic but have the Suns retired Steve Nash's number yet?

Yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, mmejia said:

A couple looks from Rockets media day. 

 

EFfBciXWsAINYrL?format=jpg&name=large

This look is hot garbage, I have no idea what the attempt was. It manages to be worse than both the championship uniforms and the ones they just retired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They brought black into the mix and now players don't want to match that aspect? I think we'll see white accessories and white sock and such. The black hints on the rockets jersey are there, why? They really screwed with their Identity for no apparent gain. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, SCL said:

This look is hot garbage, I have no idea what the attempt was. It manages to be worse than both the championship uniforms and the ones they just retired.

 

💯 ➕ 💯 agree

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Phoenix Suns Go All-In on Orange, Unveil New Statement Uniform

September 28, 2019 - 14:31 PM

The Phoenix Suns yesterday unveiled their new “Statement” (Alternate) uniform, an all-orange design with purple trim around the collar and arms. Featuring the sun from the team’s primary logo across the chest, the new uniform was inspired by “Planet Orange”, […]

Read More...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, kimball said:

 

They did that! In what, 2012? 2013? I thought it was a good unique look that honored the 90s teams. I’m not sure why they switched to such a bland boring look less than 5 years later. Felt like such an unnecessary thing.

 

176638849.0.jpg

 

Glad someone brought this set up, because i was about to mention it myself. These were great, had a unique look and matched the suns identity. they got the orange jersey right here (minus the sleeves of course) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, kimball said:

 

They did that! In what, 2012? 2013? I thought it was a good unique look that honored the 90s teams. I’m not sure why they switched to such a bland boring look less than 5 years later. Felt like such an unnecessary thing.

 

176638849.0.jpg

I hated those uniforms. The lines across the front looked so stupid and so much worse than the classic streaking sun that they were supposed to be referencing. They also couldn't decide whether they wanted to be a purple/orange team or an orange/black team. IIRC, they were originally going to ditch purple altogether for that era, but there was outcry from their fanbase over that, so they ended up making the road uniform purple as a compromise while not changing the rest of the set to match. Overall, just a huge mess.

 

Their current uniforms are an improvement, although the striping could use some minor tweaks and they also need to fix the inconsistent collar trim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s a bad logo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SCL said:

This look is hot garbage, I have no idea what the attempt was. It manages to be worse than both the championship uniforms and the ones they just retired.

"Hot garbage" is a bit of an overstatement, but the Rockets do have the most boring uniforms in the league now. They look like a mid-major college program that has to order their uniforms from a catalog.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Bobster said:

The 1990's looked good for the time and the Suns may have been the best of the bunch, but the NBA uniforms from that time period are so dated.

Most 90s NBA looks are dated and are in no way salvageable. 

The Suns, however, were the exception. Their 90s look was one of the greatest basketball looks of all time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

I hated those uniforms. The lines across the front looked so stupid and so much worse than the classic streaking sun that they were supposed to be referencing. They also couldn't decide whether they wanted to be a purple/orange team or an orange/black team. IIRC, they were originally going to ditch purple altogether for that era, but there was outcry from their fanbase over that, so they ended up making the road uniform purple as a compromise while not changing the rest of the set to match. Overall, just a huge mess.

 

Their current uniforms are an improvement, although the striping could use some minor tweaks and they also need to fix the inconsistent collar trim.

 

I wouldn’t say the current look is an improvement ... beveled lettering and numbers, numbers are too large and there’s hardly any character to them.

 

yes, the streak jerseys needed some tweaking here and there. Yes, more purple (because it was going to be ditched), change side panel striping here and there and the shorts design was always stupid IMO. But, I thought the streaks were clever and a nice nod to the Barkley era team.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The current Suns look might be the worst they've ever had. Which is saying something because the 2000s set with the grey side panels and ugly wordmark is pretty bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

The current Suns look might be the worst they've ever had. Which is saying something because the 2000s set with the grey side panels and ugly wordmark is pretty bad. 

 

Yeah, I actually like the current Suns uniforms, since they're mostly just purple and orange without black.

 

30-nike-suns-2017-18-uniforms.jpgusa_today_11368922.0.jpg

 

Yeah, the bevels are terrible, but I just like the simplicity. I even like the shorts design. The gray-heavy set was too overdesigned for my liking. Of course, nothing beats the real classics:

 

Ceballos.jpgs-l300.jpg

 

I'll take the clean purple/orange/white over black or gray any day!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I loved the 2013 set. I was pretty bummed when they decided to move onto the Nike set. The only redeeming quality in my opinion is the shorts. spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like the Suns haven't had a tangible identity since the Barkley days. They had a lot of success in the Nash set, but that template could have been used for any team of that era; if you switched the colors and the fonts, do you think you could tell a difference between the 2005 Suns and 2005 Mavs?

 

The negative space sun set they dropped for Nike wasn't perfect, but it was at least returning to what had generally worked for them.

 

Now they look like Generic Modern Sports Franchise, but with a sun motif on their shorts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.