kimball

NBA Changes 2019-20

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, DG_Now said:

The Magic already had a perfect jersey. Why not just make home/road versions of this?

 

os-sp-orlando-magic-space-jersey-1227

 

 

HELL NO.  Those are terrible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, anythinglogos said:

The Hornets continue to disappoint in everything they do. You’d figure every once in a while they would make a good decision, but apparently not

So you'd think. The best thing they did in the best five years was wearing the classic throwbacks. At this point I'd take Bobcats throwbacks over the garbage we currently wear. 

 

In my mind, MJ and the Hornets seem to think that "edgy" and "cool" is the way to go, completely missing the fact that people go bonkers for the classic stuff. The current Hornets sucked everything unique from the brand (even the logo is a rip-off of the Pelicans, although I chalk that up to designer more than anything), from the darker and uglier purple, which brings down the teal, to the simplified pinstripes (not even the right colors, they were Tar Heel blue, Blue Devils blue, UNCC green, and purple for a reason), to adding gray(!?) to the BFBS, to the awful "Buzz City" stuff they shove down our throats. The current set will not last (we will never throwback to this set, I guarantee it) while the originals are timeless classics. While we can't go back to the exact logo (it's part of NBA's Hardwood Classics or whatever, so it's locked away outside of throwbacks), updating the classic Hugo with the classic colors and template, dropping Buzz City in favor for Queen City (or even 704, at least it's our actual area code) and actually putting Charlotte on the jerseys would be the way to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

At this point I'd take Bobcats throwbacks over the garbage we currently wear. 

The Bobcats' brand will be vindicated by history.

 

25 minutes ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

In my mind, MJ and the Hornets seem to think that "edgy" and "cool" is the way to go, completely missing the fact that people go bonkers for the classic stuff.

IIRC the team stated, soon after becoming the Hornets, that the classic stuff full-time was off the table. Something about it being relegated to "Hardwood Classics" or something? It seems like an arbitrary rule the NBA could just reverse, but I do remember that being something the team said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/30/2019 at 3:16 PM, Denver_The_Sinaloa said:

i agree and see where you’re coming from


Christine’s mental health is horrific at this point. She needs to be institutionalized and/or sent to an assisted living group home. 
 

But back to the Hornets, they should have just Rockwell Condensed Bold-ed the New Orleans Hornets’ final set. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EF0mTrWWkAUmoNb?format=jpg&name=large

EF0mTrbWkAEGXuL?format=jpg&name=large

Man...Utah's throwback is cold as the top of the mountains!!! Even the ad patch works!! (UTAH'S patch design and coloring is easily tops in the league)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Shadojoker said:

Man...Utah's throwback is cold as the top of the mountains!!! Even the ad patch works!! (UTAH'S patch design and coloring is easily tops in the league)

They change their ad coloring to match each jersey, easier to do since it's not a corporation's logo with limitations. 

 

I guess since everyone is doing breakdowns of team's jersey schedule I'll do Utah's.

~ Home:

Purple (Classic) - 11, Yellow (Statement) - 8, TBA (City) - 10, Navy (Icon) - 2, White (Association) - 10

 

~ Away:

Purple (Classic) - 4, Yellow (Statement) - 8, TBA (City) - 6, Navy (Icon) - 10, White (Association) - 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

So you'd think. The best thing they did in the best five years was wearing the classic throwbacks. At this point I'd take Bobcats throwbacks over the garbage we currently wear. 

 

You'd seriously want to be a common blue and red team than be the only teal team in the league?  Wow.  I mean yea I ain't a fan of the purple unis but these colors are what made me a fan.  I love the all teal and black and teal sets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

You'd seriously want to be a common blue and red team than be the only teal team in the league?  Wow.  I mean yea I ain't a fan of the purple unis but these colors are what made me a fan.  I love the all teal and black and teal sets.

Except the bobcats were blue and orange, and practically orangish pink too. Their color scheme was unique. And yes I’d take a bobcats throwback (specifically the pinstriped set, the only player I can remember playing in them was DJ Augustine though, which maybe says something about their existence as a whole, but that’s another point) I’d take a bobcats throwback over a bland, poor, ugly black and teal uniform with “CHA” written across the front any day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BellaSpurs said:

Except the bobcats were blue and orange, and practically orangish pink too. Their color scheme was unique. And yes I’d take a bobcats throwback (specifically the pinstriped set, the only player I can remember playing in them was DJ Augustine though, which maybe says something about their existence as a whole, but that’s another point) I’d take a bobcats throwback over a bland, poor, ugly black and teal uniform with “CHA” written across the front any day

 

How old are you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

Why does it matter 

 

I’m just curious based off you’re opinion. I’d say probably no older than 20-23?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, kimball said:

 

I’m just curious based off you’re opinion. I’d say probably no older than 20-23?

Thats true, but what does that have to do with anything though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, kimball said:

 

I’m just curious based off you’re opinion. I’d say probably no older than 20-23?

Age doesn't mean anything. I'm 32 and most of my preferences on uniform design are grounded in conservative 60s aesthetics. I was the target demographic when all of these crazy 90s designs were new and fresh and these days? I think they're all pretty bad (including my World Champion Raptors), with one or two notable exceptions. 

 

And while I understand the nostalgia attached to the Hornets' classics colours? I don't think the modern stuff does them justice at all. I'll take any Bobcats uniform over any nu-Hornets set.

The classic Hornets look beats them all out of course, but they can't even throw back to those without messing up the pinstripes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did a concept once (that I never shared here) about what I wish the new Charlotte Hornets did.

 

b8MJb9z.pngGTtOa9X.png 

 

The New Orleans Hornets had it right. All they had to do was replace Council with Rockwell Condensed Bold and add honeycomb back to Hugo's shoes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I did a concept once (that I never shared here) about what I wish the new Charlotte Hornets did.

 

b8MJb9z.pngGTtOa9X.png 

 

The New Orleans Hornets had it right. All they had to do was replace Council with Rockwell Condensed Bold and add honeycomb back to Hugo's shoes.

This! Gorgeous!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Out of curiosity I looked at the Oklahoma City Thunder Uniform sets for the season

 

Home:

 

Association 14x, Icon 15x, Statement 4x, City 8x

 

Away:

 

Association 9x, Icon 18x, Statement 10x, City 2x

 

Interesting that OKC will wear the Blue (Icon) more at home than the White (Association). Previously OKC would only wear Blue at home if it was a nationally televised game but now they're going for Blue more than White.

 

Also besides Chicago, others teams like Houston, Brooklyn, Orlando, New Orleans, Minnesota, Denver prefer to wear either Icon or Statement at home while other clubs like Detroit or Dallas will wear Icon for nationally televised games at home, while Milwaukee will wear the Statement at home for nationally televised games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

So you'd think. The best thing they did in the best five years was wearing the classic throwbacks. At this point I'd take Bobcats throwbacks over the garbage we currently wear. 

 

In my mind, MJ and the Hornets seem to think that "edgy" and "cool" is the way to go, completely missing the fact that people go bonkers for the classic stuff. The current Hornets sucked everything unique from the brand (even the logo is a rip-off of the Pelicans, although I chalk that up to designer more than anything), from the darker and uglier purple, which brings down the teal, to the simplified pinstripes (not even the right colors, they were Tar Heel blue, Blue Devils blue, UNCC green, and purple for a reason), to adding gray(!?) to the BFBS, to the awful "Buzz City" stuff they shove down our throats. The current set will not last (we will never throwback to this set, I guarantee it) while the originals are timeless classics. While we can't go back to the exact logo (it's part of NBA's Hardwood Classics or whatever, so it's locked away outside of throwbacks), updating the classic Hugo with the classic colors and template, dropping Buzz City in favor for Queen City (or even 704, at least it's our actual area code) and actually putting Charlotte on the jerseys would be the way to go.

I’m they’ve had a classic uniform every year since the hornets came back. It only makes sense to also create new edgier stuff to meet demand for the market that wants that as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember years back we feared how used to ads we'd become.   Count me as having succumbed to that and even for a set like San Antonio hate to admit prefer the logo + ad patch look vs the blank shoulders in 2017.  

 

The elements add more variety, though could be a symptom of how basic the Spurs sets have always been. 

 

spacer.png

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, dont care said:

It only makes sense to also create new edgier stuff to meet demand for the market that wants that as well.

Not necessarily. Take the Brewers for example. Yeah, you find a few people who prefer the current look but if you polled the fanbase? I would guess that the vast majority would prefer the ball-in-glove to come back in some form. So why don't they pull that trigger? Well it's because fans will buy the primary uniform/logo, regardless of it they like it or not. They'll also buy the throwback gear they prefer.

 

So there doesn't have to be much of an audience for the nu-Hornets' modern edgy stuff. It just has to be "the primary set" and fans will buy it on that basis alone. Then you introduce the much beloved throwbacks as alternates and double dip. If the Hornets went with the throwbacks full time then they likely couldn't sell as much "edgy modern" stuff because the demand for that look would diminish greatly once it's not boosted by virtue of being the primary identity. So the current setup allows them to sell double the hats, jerseys, t-shirts, etc...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Not necessarily. Take the Brewers for example. Yeah, you find a few people who prefer the current look but if you polled the fanbase? I would guess that the vast majority would prefer the ball-in-glove to come back in some form. So why don't they pull that trigger? Well it's because fans will buy the primary uniform/logo, regardless of it they like it or not. They'll also buy the throwback gear they prefer.

 

So there doesn't have to be much of an audience for the nu-Hornets' modern edgy stuff. It just has to be "the primary set" and fans will buy it on that basis alone. Then you introduce the much beloved throwbacks as alternates and double dip. If the Hornets went with the throwbacks full time then they likely couldn't sell as much "edgy modern" stuff because the demand for that look would diminish greatly once it's not boosted by virtue of being the primary identity. So the current setup allows them to sell double the hats, jerseys, t-shirts, etc...

Well regardless, due to ridiculous NBA rules they can’t go back to old uniforms or even old logos. So it’s best for them to move forward rather than trying to make fauxbacks that won’t last either way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.