NBA Changes 2019-20

kimball

2 hours ago, dont care said:

Well regardless, due to ridiculous NBA rules they can’t go back to old uniforms or even old logos. So it’s best for them to move forward rather than trying to make fauxbacks that won’t last either way.

That’s really a rule? That’s worse than the 5-year rule the NFL has. 

XM4KeeA.png

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, insert name said:

That’s really a rule? That’s worse than the 5-year rule the NFL has. 

I wouldn't say it's a bad rule. So what, it should be okay to just immediately cop out and switch to an older logo with no tweaks and effort? That doesn't move forward the team at all. Older stuff can be great but it would just feel really weird if any team went all the way back.

Also, what was the loophole for the Jazz? Was it the fact they tweaked the Ball and UTAH font?

23467492017.gif

I feel like teams should just move forward with their look, they can reference the past but they need to not just go all the way with it. The Sacramento Kings did a great job of this.

zqifh03wxc54qk5ecexgk9ayg.gif  24040432017.gif

There seemed to be no reason for the Hornets to not stick with something like the older Hugo logo. Maybe it was the fact that the stink of New Orleans was on that logo and Jordan wanted a new start. People probably would have gotten confused if the original Hugo logo returned to Charlotte, it's bad enough there was a switcheroo of the franchises to begin with but the Hugo logo would've just made it worse. I personally have no problem with the current Hornets logo, but I'm not so sure about the uniforms now.

bSLCtu2.png

1 minute ago, Old School Fool said:

I wouldn't say it's a bad rule. So what, it should be okay to just immediately cop out and switch to an older logo with no tweaks and effort? That doesn't move forward the team at all. Older stuff can be great but it would just feel really weird if any team went all the way back.

It’s ok for teams to admit their mistake. Instead of forcing an obviously unpopular one down everyone’s face, go back to the one people liked. Teams do this all the time. 

XM4KeeA.png

7 hours ago, Derek94 said:

Count me as having succumbed to that and even for a set like San Antonio hate to admit prefer the logo + ad patch look vs the blank shoulders in 2017.  

spacer.png

Quick, get the antidote...someone’s been drinking the poisoned Kool-Aid!

8 hours ago, Derek94 said:

Remember years back we feared how used to ads we'd become.   Count me as having succumbed to that and even for a set like San Antonio hate to admit prefer the logo + ad patch look vs the blank shoulders in 2017.  

The elements add more variety, though could be a symptom of how basic the Spurs sets have always been. 

spacer.png

That's what the NBA logo is/was for. Too bad they put that at the back rather in the front where it belongs.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

1 hour ago, Old School Fool said:

Also, what was the loophole for the Jazz? Was it the fact they tweaked the Ball and UTAH font?

23467492017.gif

I feel like teams should just move forward with their look, they can reference the past but they need to not just go all the way with it. The Sacramento Kings did a great job of this.

zqifh03wxc54qk5ecexgk9ayg.gif  24040432017.gif

There seemed to be no reason for the Hornets to not stick with something like the older Hugo logo. Maybe it was the fact that the stink of New Orleans was on that logo and Jordan wanted a new start. People probably would have gotten confused if the original Hugo logo returned to Charlotte, it's bad enough there was a switcheroo of the franchises to begin with but the Hugo logo would've just made it worse. I personally have no problem with the current Hornets logo, but I'm not so sure about the uniforms now.

For Utah it’s that they changed the colors.

In a perfect world, the NBA logo would be on the front of the jersey, there wouldn't be any ad patches, and all teams would get their choice of apparel provider.

In a not-so-perfect world, the NBA logo would be on the front of the jersey opposite the Nike swoosh and all ad patches would be relegated to the back.

12 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

Thats true, but what does that have to do with anything though

12 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Age doesn't mean anything. I'm 32 and most of my preferences on uniform design are grounded in conservative 60s aesthetics. I was the target demographic when all of these crazy 90s designs were new and fresh and these days? I think they're all pretty bad (including my World Champion Raptors), with one or two notable exceptions. 

And while I understand the nostalgia attached to the Hornets' classics colours? I don't think the modern stuff does them justice at all. I'll take any Bobcats uniform over any nu-Hornets set.

The classic Hornets look beats them all out of course, but they can't even throw back to those without messing up the pinstripes. 

Fair enough, but my point was to illustrate how dated -- specifically dated -- that Bobcats' original look was. It's very, very much an early 00's look with the colors, style, etc. I don't think you're going to see fans of the look outside of the 20-25 aged demographic. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

7 hours ago, insert name said:

It’s ok for teams to admit their mistake. Instead of forcing an obviously unpopular one down everyone’s face, go back to the one people liked. Teams do this all the time. 

It's not without precedent. Detroit went from teal to essentially the Bad Boys look. Utah went back to its pre-mountain look, more or less. The Sixers reverted to their classic logo.

I don't understand the NBA branding rules, and it's annoying because they allow Houston to be a morass of bad ideas instead of just being what the people want them to be.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

I don't understand the NBA branding rules, and it's annoying because they allow Houston to be a morass of bad ideas instead of just being what the people want them to be.

I don't think the NBA necessarily understands their own rules anymore.

It feels like they gotten a lot more loose with them with Silver in office. I mean, you're seeing more color vs. color matchups, black uniforms and ... well the whole sleeve thing ... where as Stern's administration hardly had any leeway in much of that.

Personally, I like the return of certain logos or looks. I wish the Hornets would go back to a more Original Hornets look -- namely logo, pinstripes and a change of font. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

41 minutes ago, Satomiblood said:

I feel like you can get away with bringing back 85% of an original logo and uniform, but the remaining 15% is tweaks to differentiate it from the original source material.

like when the Nets brought back their ABA jersey design back as an alternate jersey

spacer.png

19 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

You'd seriously want to be a common blue and red team than be the only teal team in the league?  Wow.  I mean yea I ain't a fan of the purple unis but these colors are what made me a fan.  I love the all teal and black and teal sets.

No, I want a set that actually looks good and stays true to our history. That means dropping the awful black/gray and returning to the classic teal/purple. My point was I'm so disappointed with how lifeless the Hornets' set is I'd take something that had a little life in it, even if it still sucked.

17 hours ago, dont care said:

I’m they’ve had a classic uniform every year since the hornets came back. It only makes sense to also create new edgier stuff to meet demand for the market that wants that as well.

No we haven't. Our first throwback was in 2017-18, with the teal classics.

18 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I did a concept once (that I never shared here) about what I wish the new Charlotte Hornets did.

b8MJb9z.pngGTtOa9X.png 

The New Orleans Hornets had it right. All they had to do was replace Council with Rockwell Condensed Bold and add honeycomb back to Hugo's shoes.

This is exactly what the Hornets need to do. Not a huge fan of the side panels, but the logo set and general feel is perfect. It retains the fun and energy of the originals while updating some of the dated aspects.

the user formerly known as cdclt

13 minutes ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

No, I want a set that actually looks good and stays true to our history. That means dropping the awful black/gray and returning to the classic teal/purple. My point was I'm so disappointed with how lifeless the Hornets' set is I'd take something that had a little life in it, even if it still sucked.

No we haven't. Our first throwback was in 2017-18, with the teal classics.

This is exactly what the Hornets need to do. Not a huge fan of the side panels, but the logo set and general feel is perfect. It retains the fun and energy of the originals while updating some of the dated aspects.

So you didn’t have them for 3 years big whoop. They’ve also had a throwback for 3 years. When you consider most teams may get 1 throwback every 5 years I’d be happy with what you got. Especially since by rule you can’t go to the old uniforms outright.

1 minute ago, dont care said:

So you didn’t have them for 3 years big whoop. They’ve also had a throwback for 3 years. When you consider most teams may get 1 throwback every 5 years I’d be happy with what you got. Especially since by rule you can’t go to the old uniforms outright.

I'm not saying we need to do that. @SFGiants58's concept that I also quoted is fantastic and is exactly what the Hornets should have done. As much as I hate to admit it, New Orleans did a fantastic job of keeping the Hornets brand. Outside of changing the colors, they actually evolved the brand appropriately, unlike what MJ claimed he did with the new-age Hornets.

My point is that while the 'edgy' stuff does sell, an updated classic set would sell better, because people like it more. It's associated with winning and success (on top of the nostalgia factor), while the new set is associated with Kemba and that's it. The new set will always be tied to failure. 

the user formerly known as cdclt

9 hours ago, Satomiblood said:

In a not-so-perfect world, the NBA logo would be on the front of the jersey opposite the Nike swoosh and all ad patches would be relegated to the back.

You accidentally left off “heels of the players’ shoes” after the word “back.”

Archived