NBA Changes 2019-20

kimball

1 hour ago, mattr1198 said:

Agreed I think it looks hideous. So out of place with the R logo and just outright boring. Not as terrible as the mess that was the Cavs refresh, but still pretty awful and one of the worst logos in the league.

The R logo is the primary, why did they need to include it in the secondary logo? They could have created a nice secondary if they just slapped a rocket in the middle instead. Hopefully this doesn't follow the trend of some teams and eventually becomes the new primary.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s been fascinating watching the Rockets and Raptors identities slowly converge into near-identical brands from wildly different starting points over the past 20 years Both teams now have Red/Black/White color schemes with touches of silver, have simplified primary logos, and (imo) are a little lifeless or generic at the moment:

1999:

HOU_Francis_Steve.jpg

72477831.jpg

2019:

hi-res-4442a3bb1270f55e1512a2809ee67541_

BBPhDeZ.img?h=469&w=624&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

(I’m not suggesting both teams return to the 1999 looks, but in my head the Raptors are a purple/black/red team and the Rockets should be red/yellow/ or red/white)

3 hours ago, jlentz823 said:

New Rockets alternate and uni reveal June 20

It looks and feels soooooooo thrown together.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

3 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

Seriously who is in charge of designing some of these NBA logos lately? The "R" isn't centered, the name arch doesn't match the ribbon. Is the ribbon going around the basketball? Because the gray makes it look like it's floating behind. It's like they take 5 minutes in illustrator and don't even bother to clean up any of the lines or make sure stuff lines up properly.

It seems like when a team gets a full-on rebrand we get nice clean logos with great execution (Wolves, Blazers, Kings, etc). But when a team tries to tweak it's current branding or add a new logo it's just a disaster (Cavs, Wizards, Rockets).

It also really bothers me that the main R logo no longer matches the font of the accompanying script. 

We're now up to 5 red & black teams in the NBA, which is especially annoying when 2 of them (Rockets & Raptors) previously abandoned unique schemes that their fans seem to love.

Houston has to be the most disappointing sports brand in North America. The Rockets name has so much potential, but they don't have a single set that I've particularly liked. The late '90s rebrand had the right idea, but the snarling face on the rocket was unnecessary (and the uniforms were awful). It seems like they overcorrected by attempting a subtle look with just some motion lines.

They should be taking a page out of the Toledo Rockets book:

spacer.png

I always liked certain design elements of the Gemini Rocket grey sleeved uniforms . If they had an entire set based around that, I'd be a fan. spacer.pngspacer.pngI feel like a balance between some of the alternates lately and these concepts by @kerlonmoura would be ideal. spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

The Rockets would have a far better identity if they used a little yellow (not pushing for 50/50 balance, rather 95% red/5% yellow). Red and black and gray is pretty snoozish. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

My unpopular opinion is that both the Rockets and the Raptors look good in their current color schemes. I have never liked red/yellow/white as a color scheme; would be curious to see if they tried that again but with more black to ground the scheme a little bit. 

And as literal as it is, I think gray works well for the Rockets with that black/white rocket-inspired side trim, too. It's too bad the Nike switch scrubbed away some of the nice details on the black alternate; would have been a great base to use for white, red, and gray variations.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

On 6/6/2019 at 2:34 PM, VDizzle12 said:

The R logo is the primary, why did they need to include it in the secondary logo? They could have created a nice secondary if they just slapped a rocket in the middle instead. Hopefully this doesn't follow the trend of some teams and eventually becomes the new primary.

It's exactly the same situation as the Cavs "C-sword" logo. I like it, but looks very out of place with new design language in the global logo.

59d079d580ab2_SL.netbannercopy.gif.b34a0491e0c5e4344fa6fc764ec2043e.gif

NYC x STL

6 hours ago, Cujo said:

Hard to believe this "iconic" logo is going on two decades. 🚮

rockets-logo_2048x.jpg?v=1550014303

It’s not a “bad” logo — for a car and/or paper company

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

43 minutes ago, M4One said:

Monster energy suing the Raptors over their current logo, suggesting it is too similar to theirs.  I can't see how anyone could get the two confused.

When the Monster Energy made the NBA finals, I spat out my Toronto Raptors.

Excellent!

Archived