NBA Changes 2019-20

kimball

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/6/2019 at 2:40 PM, GFB said:

It’s been fascinating watching the Rockets and Raptors identities slowly converge into near-identical brands from wildly different starting points over the past 20 years Both teams now have Red/Black/White color schemes with touches of silver, have simplified primary logos, and (imo) are a little lifeless or generic at the moment:

1999:

HOU_Francis_Steve.jpg

72477831.jpg

2019:

hi-res-4442a3bb1270f55e1512a2809ee67541_

BBPhDeZ.img?h=469&w=624&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

(I’m not suggesting both teams return to the 1999 looks, but in my head the Raptors are a purple/black/red team and the Rockets should be red/yellow/ or red/white)

Your photos tell a slightly different story in my opinion. In 1999, they had incredibly similar looks given how different their respective cities and mascots are. Both teams featured large cartoony mascot logos on their chest, along with stylized pinstripes (who still does this?). In both cases, they were clownsuits (a case can be made for that Raptors jersey, but it's dated regardless). Both teams have clearly just been trend followers and so it makes some sense that they'd both arrive at minimalist, safe looks at this point in athletic design. 

I'd love to see Houston shift more toward their old championship sets/colors and for the Raptors to reclaim at least the colors of their original identity. The Rockets could change their "R" logo into an "H" and I'd be very on board.

Noticed the ad the Warriors placed in the paper congratulating the Raptors on their win uses their new style guide ...

r557979_400x600_2-3.jpg&w=267

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

One thing that bothered me about the Raptors rebrand a few years ago was the fact that the black and gold alternate colors were much better and more unique for the league. I know it's very heavily inspired by Drake and his goofy ass, but it is a good look if you can manage to disassociate the blatant advertisement for OVO.

22772822016.gif

bSLCtu2.png

59 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

One thing that bothered me about the Raptors rebrand a few years ago was the fact that the black and gold alternate colors were much better and more unique for the league. I know it's very heavily inspired by Drake and his goofy ass, but it is a good look if you can manage to disassociate the blatant advertisement for OVO.

22772822016.gif

Reminds me of the Wizard's old alternates. It's a good trio of colors 

3 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

22772822016.gif

That gold with red and white would look fantastic

10 hours ago, bcon_731 said:

Does anyone know why the raptors have championship tees with Adidas? 

It appears that MLSE has an official sponsorship deal with Adidas, making them their official footwear and apparel sponsor.  I guess that allows to print up some championship t-shirts.  Their stuff is limited to the arena.  In the past, I've noticed the Canucks wearing something other than Reebok for their off ice training gear in the past and wondered why.  I guess the league wide deals still allow teams to cut their own deals for certain things.

http://www.adnews.com/38126

16 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

22772822016.gif

At least the Raptors didn’t win in the OVO alternates. Now that would have been a Cavs sleeves level tragedy, they look much better but, again, blatant advertisement

07Giants.pngnyy.png

1 hour ago, anythinglogos said:

At least the Raptors didn’t win in the OVO alternates. Now that would have been a Cavs sleeves level tragedy, they look much better but, again, blatant advertisement

I couldn't believe they let Drake put his stupid logo on their Championship hats.

upM0lyb.png

20 hours ago, EvilChameleon said:

Around what time should we begin to see logos for the 50th season of Cavaliers basketball? Can't wait to see what they come up with.

Good question. I'd really love it if they found to away to include the various color schemes the team has used, plus alternate jersey colors, including:

• Multiple shades of wine
  • Athletic gold
  • Metallic gold
  • Royal blue
  • Bright orange
  • Perriwinkle
  • Navy
  • Black
  • Gray

Like a Cavalier rainbow!

Seeing the gold version of the Raptors logo on ABC and winning the damn NBA TITLE (:censored: yea😎), i really wouldn't mind the Raptors merging their two version of the primary logo they have at the moment. I really think gold and red would fit together for us (the gold of course being the accent color).

spacer.png

Gold and black? Nah, too much of a Drake shill.

Gold, black, and red? Looks nice, a bit of a nod to Drake but not too blatant. Problem is that ideally? The Rockets and/or the Hawks would be the red and gold teams in the NBA.

At this point? I think the Raptors are best off embracing the NORTH uniform colour scheme. Go red, white and silver with the smallest hints of black here and there as you need them.

4 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

Good question. I'd really love it if they found to away to include the various color schemes the team has used, plus alternate jersey colors, including:

• Multiple shades of wine
  • Athletic gold
  • Metallic gold
  • Royal blue
  • Bright orange
  • Perriwinkle
  • Navy
  • Black
  • Gray

Like a Cavalier rainbow!

No, no black or grey please.

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

On 6/17/2019 at 3:32 PM, Ice_Cap said:

The time has passed on the Raptors being a purple team. It’s never coming back, save for throwback unis and merch. 

Totally understood but I'm still bummed. Purple/Black/Red in general is such a surprisingly good color combo, but it's totally understood given the level of success between the color schemes.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Archived