NBA Changes 2019-20

kimball

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Conrad. said:

Agreed.

You all might want to make note of the off-white color of the paint area for future reference. 😉

I’ve heard a couple rumors about that on twitter and reddit, so this seemingly all but confirms that as the base color of the City Edition. The team’s beat reporter, Casey Holdahl, has already said on twitter that fans will love the new City Edition, so I can’t wait to see it.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

3 hours ago, Haz_Matt said:

Jazz are also in white and OKC in blue tonight.

They've also been advertising the new 5 for the fight ad all game. It says 5 jerseys and shows the city edition they've had the last two seasons.

spacer.png

Literally every color of the rainbow is represented here, and with the different contrasting styles of the main set, the gradients, and the throwbacks there is no real sense of cohesion. The brand just feels like its all over the place. 

11 hours ago, Tracy MidGrady said:

NBA all star weekend has become a black oriented event weekend, Utah just isn't the place for that, time and time again their fans have proven that.

I'm generally for keeping All-Star Weekend to a tight rotation of destination cities (New Orleans, Los Angeles, Miami, et al) but the league would really be playing with fire if it declared one of its markets to be Not Black Enough for its marquee event, because at that point you may as well Sterling them out of the league altogether. Though I am intrigued by the postulated twelve-dimensional chess of Adam Silver killing All-Star Weekend by making black people feel unwelcome. Suspicions will be undeniable when the 2024 game is awarded to "just a neighborhood with Koreans and Jews." 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm glad Utah got the nod to host All-Star Weekend 2023. I wasn't a fan of New Orleans and Los Angeles getting it a combined 5 times in a 10-year span, destination popularity notwithstanding. While I'm on the subject, I'm surprised it's taken over 30 years for Chicago to host it again.

2 minutes ago, Satomiblood said:

While I'm on the subject, I'm surprised it's taken over 30 years for Chicago to host it again.

It comes down to team/arena ownership. The NBA takes over your venue for the event and gets the majority of the profits from ticket/suite/concession sales. Some owners just dont like the deal and have no interest in letting the league take over their venue for 2-3 nights when they could make money for themselves by hosting a hockey game or a concert those nights. Mark Cuban was staunchly against hosting an all-star game and it never came to the DFW Metroplex until Jerry Jones welcomed the league into his stadium.

11 minutes ago, Satomiblood said:

While I'm on the subject, I'm surprised it's taken over 30 years for Chicago to host it again.

Reinsdorf never wanted it because he felt he wouldn't get enough money out of it. He didn't own the Stadium, only the Wirtzes did, so maybe it wasn't as much of an issue then.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

I'm generally for keeping All-Star Weekend to a tight rotation of destination cities (New Orleans, Los Angeles, Miami, et al) but the league would really be playing with fire if it declared one of its markets to be Not Black Enough for its marquee event, because at that point you may as well Sterling them out of the league altogether. Though I am intrigued by the postulated twelve-dimensional chess of Adam Silver killing All-Star Weekend by making black people feel unwelcome. Suspicions will be undeniable when the 2024 game is awarded to "just a neighborhood with Koreans and Jews." 

Milwaukee should still be in line with their new arena, so it better be 2025.

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Reinsdorf never wanted it because he felt he wouldn't get enough money out of it. He didn't own the Stadium, only the Wirtzes did, so maybe it wasn't as much of an issue then.

Now that you mention Reinsdorf, I shouldn't be surprised with the long gap.

10 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Laker Sunglasses Guy is just a pale imitation of Fat Nets Guy:

ParchedFlickeringFlatcoatretriever-size_

That's just adorable.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Archived