NBA Changes 2019-20

kimball

They look nice. No outline on NOB is stupid and Nike needs to get their **** together (side paneling over arm stripes, stupid short cuts) but these should never leave the realm of "rarely worn alternate". If the team was first starting out, this would be neat, but the Celtics shouldn't have to deal with Nike's garbage. Same goes for the Knicks and Lakers. That said, I don't hate it, and I bet it will look good on the court, but Nike seems to be already running out of ideas and it's showing.

the user formerly known as cdclt

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, kimball said:

It doesn't look blue to me at all. Either a teal or very pale kelly green.

EH-6hS-XYAAdkk0?format=jpg&name=large

Love 'em!

2019-20 Celtics City Edition is to honor the Irish Culture/Community of Boston

2018-19 City Edition honored the old Celtics Warmup Jerseys (same for the Earned)

2017-18 City Edition honored the banners in the rafters of Boston Garden

3 hours ago, Blindsay said:

Guys. A survey. What’s the best statement/city jersey that has come up from Nike ever since the deal with the nba?

Miami.

And do you want the same for baseball?

No. G-d no.

22 minutes ago, ZooBlazer said:

spacer.png

I'm probably biased though.

Those were really sharp, and certainly not far from the top of the list. As another Blazers fan, though, even I’ll admit that they’re not the single best City or Statement set that Nike’s come up with so far. I’d probably put it in (or at least close to) my top 5 of the Nike designed alts.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

1 hour ago, Digby said:

what on earth has Southie done to merit an ode???

besides being a historically working class Irish Catholic neighborhood, it is known nationwide by all the movies shot there. How many other neighborhoods can you name that are as distinctly featured in films? Hollywood? South Beach?

I don't see how this jersey is any different than the Biggie jersey, Miami Vice uniforms, or the Clippers new set.

6 hours ago, Blindsay said:

Guys. A survey. What’s the best statement/city jersey that has come up from Nike ever since the deal with the nba? And do you want the same for baseball?

Homer pick but I gotta go with this...

spacer.png

The fans have been clamoring for these to come back ever since...

YVRMUBj.png

8 hours ago, eRay said:

I wonder what they'll do on March 11th when they play the OKC Thunder while wearing their mountain classic jerseys. Sonics logos?

I think we got our answer tonight. During the PHX/UTA broadcast (from Utah’s station) they showed a ticker promo for three classic edition bobble-head nights using the same graphic style the social media team has been using. They had throwback logos for the Knicks and Lakers (Knicks were the 90’s “subway token”, Lakers were the primary with the lighter purple), but the Thunder were the current logo.

I think that’s actually best in that situation and am more than happy to let that one be the exception, given the circumstances.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

On 10/24/2019 at 4:43 PM, pelicanfan said:

I think the half arm hole things actually serve a purpose rather than for looks. It seems like it’s cut out so that it could tailor better and not have the arm hole sag like how it did in the old days?

edit: I found this from an article B3-C05-A57-C0-A5-4-EC0-A452-DB5-F78651-E

I’ll never buy a current nba jersey until they get this right. Looking at the above, It doesn’t Appear to be too challenging for Nike to alter the bottom of the armhole to have some trim continuation. It comes off as lazy. They’ve essential added some navy fabric to make the top of the shoulder jersey piece. It veers away from the bottom armhole design elements. 

I just don’t get it. Either have it all the way or take the trim away. 

I tried to edit and change the color on that enis Jersey photo with some phone apps.  

gold is very hard to get right.  
spacer.png

notre dame has already done this ten times over. So this feels lackluster for a storied franchise. 

9 hours ago, axiom20xx said:

besides being a historically working class Irish Catholic neighborhood, it is known nationwide by all the movies shot there. How many other neighborhoods can you name that are as distinctly featured in films? Hollywood? South Beach?

I don't see how this jersey is any different than the Biggie jersey, Miami Vice uniforms, or the Clippers new set.

A couple Ben Affleck films later and Southie is South Beach now. Kill me. Anyway this is a silly path to go down since it's almost certainly not a "Southie" jersey, though it's very amusing to think that the neighborhood that rioted over letting black kids into their schools in the 70s would now get an NBA jersey to call its own.

We're still going to get some BS marketingspeak over paying tribute to Boston's Irish culture, though, and I guess I just happen to think that a team that wears kelly green and has a leprechaun primary logo and a shamrock secondary logo has done more than enough pandering to the Irish crowd as it is. Nothing is gained by using the typeface of O'Connor's Generic Irish Pub; this is the sort of supposed cleverness that happens when you turn over the design department to MBAs from less-prestigious schools. (And if you really want to pay tribute to a good Irish pub, I'll point out that the Burren in Davis Square uses Papyrus, dammit.)

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

I think it looks like a fun CYO design, which is probably perfect for the Boston area. Still ugly though.

Best NBA statement jerseys:

Orlando-Magic-Mens-City-Edition-NBA-Bask

hwl?set=sku%5B21005714%5D,c%5B2%5D,w%5B4

s-l1000.jpg

ff_2908940alt1_full.jpg&w=900

Each of those should replace the main set. And those are the only successes of the City program. Miami's gone through three iterations of the Vice set now, showing they're reading to go with home/away/alt. They really need to make it so.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 hours ago, Digby said:

A couple Ben Affleck films later and Southie is South Beach now. Kill me. Anyway this is a silly path to go down since it's almost certainly not a "Southie" jersey, though it's very amusing to think that the neighborhood that rioted over letting black kids into their schools in the 70s would now get an NBA jersey to call its own.

We're still going to get some BS marketingspeak over paying tribute to Boston's Irish culture, though, and I guess I just happen to think that a team that wears kelly green and has a leprechaun primary logo and a shamrock secondary logo has done more than enough pandering to the Irish crowd as it is. Nothing is gained by using the typeface of O'Connor's Generic Irish Pub; this is the sort of supposed cleverness that happens when you turn over the design department to MBAs from less-prestigious schools. (And if you really want to pay tribute to a good Irish pub, I'll point out that the Burren in Davis Square uses Papyrus, dammit.)

Show us on the doll where Boston touched you

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

I think it looks like a fun CYO design, which is probably perfect for the Boston area. Still ugly though.

Best NBA statement jerseys:

Orlando-Magic-Mens-City-Edition-NBA-Bask

hwl?set=sku%5B21005714%5D,c%5B2%5D,w%5B4

s-l1000.jpg

ff_2908940alt1_full.jpg&w=900

Each of those should replace the main set. And those are the only successes of the City program. Miami's gone through three iterations of the Vice set now, showing they're reading to go with home/away/alt. They really need to make it so.

I'll give you Miami and Utah, but that Magic uniform was never really good. The star background could theoretically work as a base for an alternate, but the rest of it needs serious work.

Archived