NBA Changes 2019-20

kimball

4 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

With a grey tone court, it seems like this is the Nets personality.  Industry and concrete.  It may be dull compared to other teams but I like it.

I understand that, but what I mean by what I said is that like, every game or the majority of them will look the same all the time with the road teams always wearing white. (I know that the league is mixing it up, but I feel like the less white on the road the better. 

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s not the fact that the white on the road looks bad but it’s the fact that white at home has always been the tradition for nearly the dawn of basketball. The culture of it has been engraved into our brains and into the basketball culture. It just doesn’t look right to see white for road teams. As for color home teams, I’m fine with that. The nba needs to get rid of white jerseys on the road. 

IMG-7122.gif

2 hours ago, pelicanfan said:

As for color home teams, I’m fine with that. The nba needs to get rid of white jerseys on the road. 

spacer.pngspacer.pngdd49afc9-bogdan-bogdanovic-sacramento-kifoxusatsi.jpg?itok=nn0sdBVSI agree that more color home games would be a positive thing. There's something visually pleasing about a well-designed matching court that makes uniforms really pop. I personally don't mind white on the road, but I still always crave a good color on color matchup.

2 minutes ago, mgfoxx said:

I like the way the new Pacers statement looks. EIqEc7OWkAE17zo?format=jpg&name=large

Since we’re on the topic of color jerseys at home, I would have liked to see the hornets wear their teal jerseys this game that would have been a nice looking matchup 

IMG-7122.gif

White at home, color on the road - used to be the mark of a professional basketball operation.  One with enough resources to have two sets of uniforms.

Nike got its wish by converting the league to primary/secondary/tertiary a la soccer.  The transitional period where there is a history of the old designation is predictably rough.  You even have people refusing the Nike-speak and still equating white with home and color with road.

Opinion time: white on the road should only be used if no other uniforms provide sufficient contrast to what the home team wishes to wear.  Feel like this is the compromise between sticking with tradition and the free-for-all that currently exists in uniform choice in the Association.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

9 minutes ago, VandyDelphia Mike said:

White at home, color on the road - used to be the mark of a professional basketball operation.  One with enough resources to have two sets of uniforms.

Nike got its wish by converting the league to primary/secondary/tertiary a la soccer.  The transitional period where there is a history of the old designation is predictably rough.  You even have people refusing the Nike-speak and still equating white with home and color with road.

Opinion time: white on the road should only be used if no other uniforms provide sufficient contrast to what the home team wishes to wear.  Feel like this is the compromise between sticking with tradition and the free-for-all that currently exists in uniform choice in the Association.

The thing is though, it isn't the soccer-style primary or clash if needed system. Teams aren't wearing their primaries at home, they're wearing white 40% and color 40% and "city" 20% or whatever, and that's what's making everything difficult to keep track of and quite often ugly. The soccer system is fine by me, but this is a free-for-all.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

I don't mind the occasional white on the road. That's been a thing for at least 25 years. I remember seeing it for the first time when the Magic wore their home whites against the Hornets' then-new purple alternates in Charlotte Coliseum. That was a pretty good match-up. What I don't like is how often it's happened in the last 3 seasons.

The league should begin instituting certain days of the week for uniform matchups. For example, make Friday the NBA's equivalent to the "Color Rush" with color-on-color matchups. Saturday could be "Throwback Night" where all throwback uniforms and courts are used. And maybe they can even designate a day for city uniforms and courts. 

18 minutes ago, Satomiblood said:

The league should begin instituting certain days of the week for uniform matchups. For example, make Friday the NBA's equivalent to the "Color Rush" with color-on-color matchups. Saturday could be "Throwback Night" where all throwback uniforms and courts are used. And maybe they can even designate a day for city uniforms and courts. 

Nah. Too much variance in team schedules.

Color-on-color could be throwback vs. throwback or City vs. City. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 11/1/2019 at 11:36 PM, mgfoxx said:

Also, this Mavs look is growing on me.spacer.png

That wordmark is tiny. Indistinguishable from a general viewing distance. No blue or green hints of color at all? I miss the earlier dirk Nike days. 

The biggest problem with these Jersey colors being totally random at home or away is that teams insist that their retros or new jerseys have some color, and also be worn at home. At that point, it’s about sales. They don’t want their new color statement jersey to be worn only on the road. The home fans can’t see these jerseys in person. So really, even with mlb and their 12 types of on fields. It’s about getting your home fans to see these designs and having them buy them up. 

The new level of consumer is very spoiled. The old days, you didn’t have to see Michael jordan in a red jersey at home to still want a red 23 road jersey. 

More than ever, they are catering to their home fans than their global audience. Miami never wore their vice away from home. Minnesota never wore lime green away from home. Knicks never wore their navy statements/cities away from home. And the list goes on. 

Wear what you want. But give me a score bug with a small box showing me who’s who if it’s not obvious. Black vs white is happening some 40% of the time. It’s atrocious and they think this is what home fans want. Same as last year, Celtics and Knicks fans are getting less color variety than ever before. But they’ll see their home team in blue 60 plus times lol. 

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Nah. Too much variance in team schedules.

Color-on-color could be throwback vs. throwback or City vs. City. 

I disagree. Potential clash conflicts may arise, but I think it's at least worth considering. It would bring back some semblance of order. It's a bit sloppy right now.

5 hours ago, VandyDelphia Mike said:

Exactly this.. white should only be used in that scenario. Using the Bulls as an example, if they wore red, the road team could essentially where colors every single time until they played a team like the Raptors, Hawks, etc. (if those teams decide not to wear black) The Lakers played great Grizzlies last week and wore gold and the Grizz wore white. There’s absolutely no reason for them not to be in blue. 

From a fan perspective/jersey fanatic, I think it's great that I could see more of a variety of uniforms on any given game I attend, especially when it's a team I've seen before. Same with home teams wearing away colors at home, unless you travel, you likely would never see your team in that color. 

That being said, some of these uniform matchups are grossly mismanaged and do look WRONG. 

6 minutes ago, BigDmo said:

That being said, some of these uniform matchups are grossly mismanaged and do look WRONG. 

I'm stating the obvious...but the biggest issue is there's no logic to 99% of it. It's like they created uniform matchups in a random generator then adjusted for onesies and twosies. 

22 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I'm stating the obvious...but the biggest issue is there's no logic to 99% of it. It's like they created uniform matchups in a random generator then adjusted for onesies and twosies. 

Is there really no logic to it? Over two years into the Nike contract it's pretty apparent that teams are wearing their 4-5 jerseys an equal amount of time ... or pretty close to it ... for exposure to maximize sales. Color vs. Color, Throwback vs. Throwback or Road Teams in White be damned. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

14 minutes ago, kimball said:

Is there really no logic to it? Over two years into the Nike contract it's pretty apparent that teams are wearing their 4-5 jerseys an equal amount of time ... or pretty close to it ... for exposure to maximize sales. Color vs. Color, Throwback vs. Throwback or Road Teams in White be damned. 

Well there could be parameters that allocate how many times a jersey is worn (which I guess is "logic", by definition)...but still...a lot of games seem like random wtfs. I'd be convinced logic was applied if all teams with four sets all had the same percentage worn, but I don't think that's the case.  Throwing the City unis in to the rotation mid-year is also odd if we have a logical model, but it happens. 

Well there could be parameters that allocate how many times a jersey is worn (which I guess is "logic", by definition)...but still...a lot of games seem like random wtfs. I'd be convinced logic was applied if all teams with four sets all had the same percentage worn, but I don't think that's the case.  Throwing the City unis in to the rotation mid-year is also odd if we have a logical model, but it happens. 

spacer.png

this is a perfect WTF jersey matchup was this? WTF IS THIS lmao that game was so hard to watch..

the pacers wore these a few years back when the Lakers wore white, but I don’t get trying to promote these jerseys, at this specific time. 

EDIT: I’m now curious to see more ugly wtf moments is this. Adam Silver seems hip, especially more open then Roger Goodell, maybe I could send him this thread later haha

Archived