NBA Changes 2019-20

kimball

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, d11king said:

spacer.png

wth is this? Why are we subject to things like this? 

For me personally, not that anyone asked, but this is what’s wrong with the current system of whatever this era of jerseys thing is lol. 

There's nothing sensible about this at all.

This Wild West of NBA uniforms is a really bad look. Much has been said about that Warriors/Lakers debacle and I agree with the sentiment. It’s really no different in my eyes than if for whatever reason the Yankees wore blue at home and the White Sox came into Yankee Stadium wearing pinstripes. It’s a preposterous idea that shouldn’t happen and this shouldn’t have happened either at Staples. 

Another massive problem is the perception of brand team by team. Some are better off than others, but there’s a few teams with quite the mess of an identity right now. Using the Jazz as an example because I see the evidence of this every day: the primary colors as presented and listed on a style guide are navy/gold/green, but you know what merchandise I see far more predominantly everywhere I go? The red rock stuff, and it’s not even close. I even see more classic edition purple than the primary stuff. So when I see the Jazz brand represented outside of the arena, I’m seeing a completely different color scheme and identity (two if you want to count classic edition) than the one the team presents as its primary. It almost looks secondary at this point. It’s easy to look at this and confuse it for a brand positive because sure, it’s selling and lots of merch is out there, but no matter how much the other stuff is selling, it will always look like the brand has multiple personalities and thus no clear direction. The problem isn’t that fans flock to one (or two) more than the other, it’s that there’s multiple, vastly different identities and personalities of the brand out there in the first place. And the Jazz aren’t the only ones.

Many (myself included) harp on teams like the Canucks and Padres for their brand history containing many stark differences and inconsistencies in identity; well, the NBA has a few teams having that right now, simultaneously, within their own current brand thanks to its current free-for-all system. That’s a massive problem, and what’s worse is that it’s getting confused for a good or “cool” thing. Branding across the NBA needs a hard reset back to tradition and basics in the worst way.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

19 hours ago, JPDesign said:

I mean, at least the Nets actually hired an actual street artist to do theirs...Dallas' looks like someone that's never done graffiti trying to visualize what they think graffiti should look like.

+1. The Brooklyn wordmark feels far more authentic. More importantly, it feels like an organic extension of their hip hop-infused brand. Dallas, on the other hand, hasn't emphasized anything hip hop-related in their branding in quite a while -- since the Diddy alt (which was itself an anomaly). Hip hop culture is an odd choice for Dallas, anyway, seeing as Dallas isn't exactly known for being a center for that culture. Famous/significant hip hop artists from Dallas include...the D.O.C.? Is that the list?

2 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

This Wild West of NBA uniforms is a really bad look. Much has been said about that Warriors/Lakers debacle and I agree with the sentiment. It’s really no different in my eyes than if for whatever reason the Yankees wore blue at home and the White Sox came into Yankee Stadium wearing pinstripes. It’s a preposterous idea that shouldn’t happen and this shouldn’t have happened either at Staples. 

Another massive problem is the perception of brand team by team. Some are better off than others, but there’s a few teams with quite the mess of an identity right now. Using the Jazz as an example because I see the evidence of this every day: the primary colors as presented and listed on a style guide are navy/gold/green, but you know what merchandise I see far more predominantly everywhere I go? The red rock stuff, and it’s not even close. I even see more classic edition purple than the primary stuff. So when I see the Jazz brand represented outside of the arena, I’m seeing a completely different color scheme and identity (two if you want to count classic edition) than the one the team presents as its primary. It almost looks secondary at this point. It’s easy to look at this and confuse it for a brand positive because sure, it’s selling and lots of merch is out there, but no matter how much the other stuff is selling, it will always look like the brand has multiple personalities and thus no clear direction. The problem isn’t that fans flock to one (or two) more than the other, it’s that there’s multiple, vastly different identities and personalities of the brand out there in the first place. And the Jazz aren’t the only ones.

Many (myself included) harp on teams like the Canucks and Padres for their brand history containing many stark differences and inconsistencies in identity; well, the NBA has a few teams having that right now, simultaneously, within their own current brand thanks to its current free-for-all system. That’s a massive problem, and what’s worse is that it’s getting confused for a good or “cool” thing. Branding across the NBA needs a hard reset back to tradition and basics in the worst way.

What the nba has now definitely seems like a free-for-all system. It wouldn’t be a problem, if things just made sense lol.. using the Lakers/Warriors for example, Yellow at home for the Lakers (since it’s not Sunday) and the Warriors in either blue or black. When in San Francisco, Warriors in white or gold, and the Lakers in purple. Instead we get dumb like the Celtics in teal, and the Bulls in green in Boston.. && I swear I feel like we here, at sportslogos.net, the community, we could do something so they can stop this foolery @Conrad. what can we do seriously lol. 

I’ve heard it said that, the idea behind Nike is to sell/promote the jerseys as much as possible, but this doesn’t seem like it. This seems like Nike wanting to break tradition as part of their Just Do It campaign, and create so much chaos, that before their contract is up, they get to rewrite and create the new system before they head out. 

3 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Its all about merchandising, like you mentioned. Thanks to our corporate overloads, swoosh and company feel its necessary to pump out sets that are really just a hat on a hat. I still dont understand the black side paneling on the purple set, to make their overweight teammates look more slim? If anything just have a solild black set with the white/yellow piping.  

32 minutes ago, Shadojoker said:

Nike-NBA-Indiana-Pacers--4-Victor-Oladip

studio_session-0650013_0.jpg

I'll take this template ANY DAY over the Hoosiers (Hickory) uniforms!! 

I thought I remembered an article being posted that the Pacers had licensed the Hoosiers Hickory jerseys for 5 years, and still had a year or two left. I guess they were able to get out of that early? (Thankfully.)

4 minutes ago, projectjohn said:

I thought I remembered an article being posted that the Pacers had licensed the Hoosiers Hickory jerseys for 5 years, and still had a year or two left. I guess they were able to get out of that early? (Thankfully.)

They still have the Hickory unis (this year it’s back to the white version they wore two years ago). The Hickory unis are considered a Classic Edition, meaning they can have those and a City Edition. It’s the same as the last two seasons, when the Pacers had the Hickory set but also a separate City Uniform.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Archived