NBA Changes 2019-20

kimball

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those cavaliers ones are gorgeous. As for the hornets theirs is terrible. It’s literally just a copy and paste of their statement jerseys but paint bucketed grey. I really would have liked to see them incorporate the blue and purple gradient onto the grey that would have looked so cold. The least they could have done was replace CHA with CLT.

for the Pacers I would have preferred them keep the old yellow stripe instead of making it navy. Or instead keep the navy stripe but add yellow to the text 

IMG-7122.gif

This is my problem with The addition of City jerseys... There have been some really great designs, some that  teams can actually rebrand around. But then, you scrap it, and everything from then on, is an eyesore. The Bulls, Jazz,Thunder, Magic, pelicans, and a few others had nailed it with their first sets. Now, it's like throwing $h*t in the air, and hoping a diamond comes back down.

43 minutes ago, pelicanfan said:

Those cavaliers ones are gorgeous. As for the hornets theirs is terrible. It’s literally just a copy and paste of their statement jerseys but paint bucketed grey. I really would have liked to see them incorporate the blue and purple gradient onto the grey that would have looked so cold. The least they could have done was replace CHA with CLT.

for the Pacers I would have preferred them keep the old yellow stripe instead of making it navy. Or instead keep the navy stripe but add yellow to the text 

Lol...I don't know if CLT would go over too well...if you know what I mean

On 11/19/2019 at 7:03 PM, d11king said:

The Lore series has kind of gotten old already. Really wish the Lakers would do something to recognize Los Angeles as a city, rather than celebrate their own splendor.

In theory I agree with this. In practice I can't stand to see another hype video about how our city is uniquely blue-collar and tough-guy, and I'd rather not have another jersey designed with Wikipedia-entry references to the city in question -- as long as the Lakers don't throw another black jersey at us, I find this approach refreshing!

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

2 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

I should hate this.

But for some reason I love it. 

1920-collin-city-uniform.png

I would've preferred either no white on the sides, or white number/wordmark. But these are still nice. 

I've always had a softspot for the cavfanatic sets. Do i think every team should mashup elements from all of their previous uniform sets? No. But it's fun when the cavs do it, and they've had a lot of good sets doing that. 

Is it okay to say that we have reached NBA uniforms burnout? Man, the amount of crappy, uninspired and boring designs are TOO MUCH!!!

Teams need 3 uniforms at most, 4 if you need to have the occasional "throwback". But, jeez, enough is enough. 

16 hours ago, pagan696 said:

I hope it’s better than the Nets grays. Tonight’s game looked like a Turnervision of classic black&white programming. 

https://www.nba.com/hornets/video/graham-highlights-112019 via @hornets

If only the Hornets were wearing teal at this game.  I'd love that.

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

2 hours ago, Satomiblood said:

Cleveland needs to get rid of that stupid gold crest on their jersey collars.

Disagree! It's one of the few elements of the new set that I actually like. Everything else just seems to be a random new modern look without building off what the team already had, but at least it's an element that (to me) looks good, is fairly distinct, and offers a bit of golden "regalness" to the aesthetic.

Anyway, if you're looking for cohesive branding, the NBA is the wrong league. If you're looking for it within the NBA, Cleveland is the wrong city.

But that's kind of the point of this city jersey, and it does a pretty good job of bringing various elements together. You have the modern template and colors, a CLE version of the original script, the 70s homage side stripes, the 80s/90s V from the old Cavs logo, the 90s number script. Pretty solid rundown of our various identities. The sad thing is there is nothing to highlight the best looking era in Cavs history (03-10), other than perhaps the inclusion of a C logo on the shorts (and the inclusion of navy, if that counts).

Hornets city jersey is a recolor of the statement?  They ain't even trying!  One CHA is bad enough, now we get two.  Grey and purple can look good if done right.  

I'd like to see how the Hornets explain how this is a "city" jersey.  

I liked the City Of Flight concept.  

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

52 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

Disagree! It's one of the few elements of the new set that I actually like. Everything else just seems to be a random new modern look without building off what the team already had, but at least it's an element that (to me) looks good, is fairly distinct, and offers a bit of golden "regalness" to the aesthetic.

Anyway, if you're looking for cohesive branding, the NBA is the wrong league. If you're looking for it within the NBA, Cleveland is the wrong city.

But that's kind of the point of this city jersey, and it does a pretty good job of bringing various elements together. You have the modern template and colors, a CLE version of the original script, the 70s homage side stripes, the 80s/90s V from the old Cavs logo, the 90s number script. Pretty solid rundown of our various identities. The sad thing is there is nothing to highlight the best looking era in Cavs history (03-10), other than perhaps the inclusion of a C logo on the shorts (and the inclusion of navy, if that counts).

Nah. There was a time when branding was more sensible. Was it ever perfect or consistent all across the league? No. But there were certainly a number of teams that actually kept their looks relevant while making minor tweaks to keep within the spirit of their brands. Now, a lot of those same teams are falling victim to bad trends. Storied franchises with iconic and seemingly untouchable looks like the Bulls, Lakers, and even Celtics are starting to forget who they once were. Let's not pretend that the league didn't have a few solid eras of uniform design.

11 minutes ago, Satomiblood said:

Nah. There was a time when branding was more sensible. Was it ever perfect or consistent all across the league? No. But there were certainly a number of teams that actually kept their looks relevant while making minor tweaks to keep within the spirit of their brands. Now, a lot of those same teams are falling victim to bad trends. Storied franchises with iconic and seemingly untouchable looks like the Bulls, Lakers, and even Celtics are starting to forget who they once were. Let's not pretend that the league didn't have a few solid eras of uniform design.

We are in complete agreement about the current state of the NBA. The Cavs specifically have a history of revamping their look completely every few years and have been muddling their look more and more since 2010. But I'm not applying that to the entire league.

18 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

We are in complete agreement about the current state of the NBA. The Cavs specifically have a history of revamping their look completely every few years and have been muddling their look more and more since 2010. But I'm not applying that to the entire league.

I like that the Cavs have a number of good looks to pull from. It's hard to pick one that perfectly epitomizes them, though. You've got the Price/Daugherty/Ehlo era, the first LeBron era, the LeBron/Kyrie/Love era, and even some of lesser known sets. I'm not a big fan of their current look, though I think the Goodyear patch is among the best in the league.

5 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

I should hate this.

But for some reason I love it. 

1920-collin-city-uniform.png

Get rid of the inline font, make it say Cleveland instead of just cle, and instead of the spike on the top of the uniform, make it an actual trim around the collar. This is so close to a really good jersey and it’s so much better than their home and aways, they should build a new set around it.

And speaking of building a new set around a specific uniform. The Pacers, while I preferred the original navy one more, the Indy 500 inspired look is fantastic and Indy should embrace the checkers. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Best look yet at the full Lakers City set:

spacer.png

Honestly I think this is pretty sharp, at least in comparison to many of the other new City sets for this season. It could’ve been executed better, but as is it’s a pretty nice look IMO and a vast improvement over last year’s Magic-inspired purple and black design. I’d say it’s at least in the top third of this year’s City Edition collection.

And just for fun, here’s another look at the Blazers’ gorgeous City set for this season:

spacer.png

Yeah, this is fantastic and puts many of the other City editions for this year to shame. Has to at least be in the top three of this year’s City collection, if not #1.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

6 minutes ago, Froob said:

Didn’t the Grizzlies do two classic jerseys and have a new statement? Makes sense why there’s no city.

They did unveil two Classic Editions, but only the teal one is being worn this season. The black one won’t be worn until next season.

spacer.png
And their Statement set is unchanged from last year:

spacer.png

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Archived