kimball

NBA Changes 2019-20

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, anythinglogos said:

The Raptors paying homage to their inaugural NOB styling is pretty cool. Of course, that raises the question why this can be done yet outlined NOBs are verboten 

They hit a home run!! 8/10. Would be perfect with white outline or some purple here or there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure I understand the "They can't pay tribute to famous rappers and bad neighborhoods from the 90s because things are a lot better now" argument. The "They dont play there" also becomes weird when you compare this to say, the Giants and the Jets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

Hold the phone. They're wearing these 28 :censored:ING TIMES. TWENTY. EIGHT. 35% of their games, and damn near every game in January and March, will have the team wearing a uniform with something that NOBODY outside of Brooklyn has even the slightest clue what it means. Jesus H. Christ.

 

It's like the Bulls wearing "CHATHAM" for a third of the year because that's where Chance hails from. Look, there's just far too many uniforms, and especially too many one-season uniforms, and the anti-system system where everything and nothing is an alternate leads to far more misses than hits. Nike needs to dial it the hell down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the Nets continue to do really well in positioning themselves as Brooklyn's team, which they've done since the move. It doesn't matter if the wider world doesn't know what Bed-Stuy means, it's not for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

 

It's like the Bulls wearing "CHATHAM" for a third of the year because that's where Chance hails from. Look, there's just far too many uniforms, and especially too many one-season uniforms, and the anti-system system where everything and nothing is an alternate leads to far more misses than hits. Nike needs to dial it the hell down.

 

There are a lot of people who think the Lakers should wear Crenshaw unis, though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It doesn't matter where they play.  The jersey is for BIGGIE. 

 

I'll have to see the CHA city on the court, but not impressed, and none of those highlights tie to the actual CITY.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CaliforniaGlowin said:

It doesn't matter where they play.  The jersey is for BIGGIE. 

 

except that they had a biggie-inspired jersey last year that virtually no one complained about because it was a modest nod to the artist AND maintained the core team identity. choosing to do a white version of the uniform is fine, even if it's a re-tread. but they had plenty of other options for a crest that would have made more sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's the difference between Bed Stuy and The Town on a Jersey? It's a city Jersey. it's not for people outside of it. I wouldn't know what "the town"  meant if it wasn't for Marshawn Lynch. if anything I would think the city Jersey would inquire outsiders to figure out what it means.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As always, if fans didn't buy them, Nike wouldn't churn them out.  We are an unfortunate minority. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Not sure I understand the "They can't pay tribute to famous rappers and bad neighborhoods from the 90s because things are a lot better now" argument. The "They dont play there" also becomes weird when you compare this to say, the Giants and the Jets. 

 

it's different than the jets/giants. this isn't a team that moved over a bridge out of state, but stayed representatives of the market. this is a single season uniform that doesn't even have to exist dedicated to one specific musician, so they put the neighborhood (which represents some, but not all, of where we play) where he's from on it. if this makes sense, it's almost too on-the-nose and obscure at the same time.

 

i guess we could go in circles on this forever, but i'll just boil my argument down to: 1) i don't like it, and 2) i think it kind of strips away what worked from last year's city uniform.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brian E said:

 

except that they had a biggie-inspired jersey last year that virtually no one complained about because it was a modest nod to the artist AND maintained the core team identity. choosing to do a white version of the uniform is fine, even if it's a re-tread. but they had plenty of other options for a crest that would have made more sense.

Yeah, I would've much preferred the regular wordmark. Or even the old BKLYN logo. Also, the graffiti wordmark works to a point on the gray, but looks completely out of place on this one. 

 

I think the bigger focus on Biggie this year has to do with the new court, and also the fact they're putting a giant coogi crown on top of their logo on games they wear the city jersey at home. 

 

I'm disappointed in the wordmark and hope next year's city jersey goes back to normal. I love the coogi trim. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When Biggie was alive, David Stern was actively running away from hip hop influence into NBA culture.

 

While I think it's great the NBA has embraced its audience, appropriating a dead rapper and a neighborhood culture that is also dead seems kind of patronizing to me. If people like it, that's great and there's a lot of value in representation. But I can't see the Nets' new jersey as more than pandering now that more aspects of black culture are economically safe.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TGroce said:

 

😴

I cant stand white numbers on light gray uniforms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah, would've looked miles better with teal numbers. That'd make it just a dirty reversal of the regular home jersey, but so what, still better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

 

There are a lot of people who think the Lakers should wear Crenshaw unis, though. 

how often do i have to say this. THE CLIPPERS SHOULD WEAR CRENSHAW JERSEYS AND THE LAKERS SHOULD WEAR HOLLYWOOD JERSEYS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Denver_The_Sinaloa said:

how often do i have to say this. THE CLIPPERS SHOULD WEAR CRENSHAW JERSEYS AND THE LAKERS SHOULD WEAR HOLLYWOOD JERSEYS

 

The Clippers should wear Seattle Supersonics jerseys. And play in Seattle. Nothing would be lost in LA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its become noticeable that the entire 'system' of Nike jerseys has reached consciousness in the mainstream outside CCSLC and other uni sites. And the news for Nike is not good. It seems like there's a general trend of tired/annoyed/mocking all the new jerseys. For example, on today's NBA desktop from the Ringer, (1:48 in) there's a good segment making fun of Dallas, Milwaukee and Houston's new jerseys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

 

The Clippers should wear Seattle Supersonics jerseys. And play in Seattle. Nothing would be lost in LA.

Do Seattle fans have any idea how hypocritical they are by begging for another team to move there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, schlim said:

Its become noticeable that the entire 'system' of Nike jerseys has reached consciousness in the mainstream outside CCSLC and other uni sites. And the news for Nike is not good. It seems like there's a general trend of tired/annoyed/mocking all the new jerseys. For example, on today's NBA desktop from the Ringer, (1:48 in) there's a good segment making fun of Dallas, Milwaukee and Houston's new jerseys.

 

jason concepcion is a freakin' treasure! also: listen to "binge mode" if you're a star wars fan, it's fantastic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys may hate the neighborhood specificity now but wait till next year when the Nets debut their “Bay Ridge” jersey where the chest logo is just an NYPD officer arguing with a pizza shop guy about the Yankees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.