NBA Changes 2019-20

kimball

15 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Yes. But I also see empty ass seats night after night in New Orleans, Atlanta, Sacramento and other cities and wonder why the NBA is keeping teams in markets that don't want them.

LA is a market that doesn't want the Clippers. Not nearly as much as they want the Lakers. You can get in Staples tonight for $32 to see a huge rematch of LAC/Houston. And for $14 Sunday against the Pelicans. The Lakers next home game is against the garbage Wizards, and it's $100 to get in the building ($10 for the Clips game).

I'm not saying expensive seats are awesome. I'm just showing the economics of it all. And how against Boston, half the lower bowl was green.

The Clippers have a fine roster and a passionate owner. But there's nothing about that team that requires them to be in LA.

You know, I used to think the same about Net and Knick games. Then my friend took me to a Knicks/Hornets game and we bought the cheapest tickets we could find, nosebleeds for 80. Then I felt like half the people there were there for more of a  "When in Rome" type thing. Like it was a Friday night event instead of an actual basketball game. And I bet it's the same in LA. "Gotta go catch a Laker game while you're here". I think there's just a demand for tickets in big markets. The Clippers are still a top 5 most valuable franchise right now, and for a team with no titles, and no success besides recent years, that's pretty amazing. Just goes to show you how much money those big market teams are making. 

But I do think that Seattle should get a team back. You guys should've gotten the Kings a few years ago. 

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, d11king said:

Okay so this doesn’t make any sense. Why do the Sixers have a white throwback, and then make a White city uniform.. that really doesn’t make any sense.

sooooo, how does this help with sales? I know the rules are you have to wear specific jerseys x number of times, but having to split the white uniforms doesn’t make any sense. Can someone try to make this make sense on top of all the things that don’t make sense considering this Nike booboo-ness. 

Why shouldn’t they? They’re different designs and its really no different than the Warriors and Lakers having two yellow jerseys ... or Mavs with three blue jerseys?

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

8 minutes ago, kimball said:

Why shouldn’t they? They’re different designs and its really no different than the Warriors and Lakers having two yellow jerseys ... or Mavs with three blue jerseys?

I didn’t think about that. I guess I’m including the regular white jersey as well to make 3. It just seems like, the classic which I saw last night was a really nice jersey and I’d figure they’d wear that at home as much as possible to promote sales. Adding another white is like, damn there are two jerseys outside of the regular jersey that will be worn this season. Almost feels like, either one of those jerseys could’ve waited until next season

58 minutes ago, d11king said:

I didn’t think about that. I guess I’m including the regular white jersey as well to make 3. It just seems like, the classic which I saw last night was a really nice jersey and I’d figure they’d wear that at home as much as possible to promote sales. Adding another white is like, damn there are two jerseys outside of the regular jersey that will be worn this season. Almost feels like, either one of those jerseys could’ve waited until next season

I mean it's moreso cream/parchment colored, but I guess still a light-colored uniform. There is enough differentiation between them though which gives them their own unique feel without seeming cluttered.

5 hours ago, ror1997 said:

But I do think that Seattle should get a team back. You guys should've gotten the Kings a few years ago. 

The failure to expel George Shinn from ownership on not one but two occasions really made a mess of this league for years to come.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

17 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

And you know why it's dumb? It's dumb because it's a "system" Nike "presented" us three years ago, and Stans like you just accept it. 

What choice do we have but to accept it?  I hate that nearly everything sports related is shoved down our throats with zero fan input.  10 years and earlier, fine.  But we are in an era where fans have more opinions than before and we can connect with teams and leagues than ever before.  Yet these teams and leagues just say "surprise!  this is what we're doing" or "surprise! our new name is _______!".  Basically take it or leave it.  I even wrote a new baseball league and asked them to include fans in the team names and branding and their response was "We are confident in the brands we are creating."  Even when teams engage the public, they still in the end do whatever the freak they want.  I guess the only way to voice displeasure is to not pay for anything, but true fans won't do that.

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

Vancouver Grizzlies Return Tonight in Memphis

November 23, 2019 - 17:20 PM

The Vancouver Grizzlies are back tonight! And will re-appear again a total of 14 times throughout the 2019-20 season. For this evening’s game against the Los Angeles Lakers at FedExForum in Memphis, the Grizzlies will wear these classic teal Vancouver […]

Read More...

8 hours ago, ror1997 said:

That's pretty pathetic that you tried to take a personal shot at me all because I pointed out that these jerseys are following the idea behind the city jersey concept.

Nah, that's not why I took that shot. I took that shot at you because you acted like city jerseys were necessary. 
And is it pathetic? No. I said what I said because I find it pathetic that some people, yourself included, have bought into Nike's dumb system. 

But unlike you, I'm not sitting here like a moron wondering why the city jerseys are representing something in the city the team plays for. 

And now I'm starting to feel like you didn't fully read my post. I'm not wondering what city uniforms are for. I get that. I just find the concept idiotic and unnecessary. 

I think it's funny you call me a Stan. Seems like you're more obsessed with this stuff then I am. 

Seems to me like you just accept whatever Nike feeds you. Seems like a Stan to me 🤷‍♂️

If your argument is that every city edition jersey is dumb because the concept of the city jersey is dumb then why do you even waste your time commenting or even looking at the jerseys? You already know you're not going to like what you see.

Well two things. 

First, this is a public board where anyone can share an opinion. If you do not like to see opinions that are different from yours I recommend starting a blog where you can filter out comments you don't like. 

Secondly, there are rare city uniforms that work. Miami's Vice uniforms, as an example, are excellent and should be the team's primary look. I think the Project Gemini side panels on Houston's city look could be the basis for a nice primary set.  

My issue isn't that they all suck- my issue is that celebrating a hyper-niche reference just because it's a City Edition (as you were doing) is dumb, as the concept is just manufactured marketing from Nike and the NBA. 

Does that mean every idea to come out of it is bad? Nah, but as I said earlier. There aren't enough ideas for 60-90 new uniforms a season. Take the ideas that work, work them into primary sets, and leave them at that. 

1 hour ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

What choice do we have but to accept it?

You can admit that it's a bad idea? 

Take the Blue Jays' black Jays era. I hated that look as a fan. I had no power to change it though. Me not buying gear wasn't going to make a dent in their bottom line. 
Did I just accept it though? Nah. I bought throwback stuff, and I was honest in my dislike about it when appropriate to discuss that stuff (ie here, mostly). 

This idea that "well X is bad, but we can't change it as fans so I guess we'll accept X" is really, really dumb to me. 

2 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I hate that nearly everything sports related is shoved down our throats with zero fan input.

The average fan has poor taste. I'd rather not have them involved in the design process.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

56 minutes ago, jp1409 said:

Uniform ads, idiotic uniforms thrown around like bills in a stripclub and then this. I feel like MLS will overtake the NBA spot in the big four sooner than later if these guys keep acting like they belong on ESPN the ocho.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28145944/sources-nba-considering-reseeding-conference-finalists-postseason-play-in

I never thought I’d say this but could we get David Stern back?

The 10th-place Lakers were 37-45 last year. What was left to deduce from a team like that? They're borrowing from college basketball, but the dumb stuff, not the good stuff. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, jp1409 said:

Uniform ads, idiotic uniforms thrown around like bills in a stripclub and then this. I feel like MLS will overtake the NBA spot in the big four sooner than later if these guys keep acting like they belong on ESPN the ocho.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28145944/sources-nba-considering-reseeding-conference-finalists-postseason-play-in

NBA with this.. MLB with stealing first base, changing extra inning rules.. NFL being the NFL.. Nobody watching the NHL..  If the MLS isnt already in the top 4 to make it a top 5, then it probably never will be.

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

7 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Nah, that's not why I took that shot. I took that shot at you because you acted like city jerseys were necessary. 
And is it pathetic? No. I said what I said because I find it pathetic that some people, yourself included, have bought into Nike's dumb system. 

And now I'm starting to feel like you didn't fully read my post. I'm not wondering what city uniforms are for. I get that. I just find the concept idiotic and unnecessary. 

Seems to me like you just accept whatever Nike feeds you. Seems like a Stan to me 🤷‍♂️

Well two things. 

First, this is a public board where anyone can share an opinion. If you do not like to see opinions that are different from yours I recommend starting a blog where you can filter out comments you don't like. 

Secondly, there are rare city uniforms that work. Miami's Vice uniforms, as an example, are excellent and should be the team's primary look. I think the Project Gemini side panels on Houston's city look could be the basis for a nice primary set.  

My issue isn't that they all suck- my issue is that celebrating a hyper-niche reference just because it's a City Edition (as you were doing) is dumb, as the concept is just manufactured marketing from Nike and the NBA. 

Does that mean every idea to come out of it is bad? Nah, but as I said earlier. There aren't enough ideas for 60-90 new uniforms a season. Take the ideas that work, work them into primary sets, and leave them at that. 

You can admit that it's a bad idea? 

Take the Blue Jays' black Jays era. I hated that look as a fan. I had no power to change it though. Me not buying gear wasn't going to make a dent in their bottom line. 
Did I just accept it though? Nah. I bought throwback stuff, and I was honest in my dislike about it when appropriate to discuss that stuff (ie here, mostly). 

This idea that "well X is bad, but we can't change it as fans so I guess we'll accept X" is really, really dumb to me. 

Keep crying man. You obviously didn't read my post. I didn't feed into the system nor do I think the city jerseys are necessary. I'm just not dumb enough to argue against all 30 jerseys just because I don't like the idea. 

"That's why I took that shot" 

That fact you felt the need to take a shot at me for no reason is pathetic. I've never interacted with you before. You took a personal shot at me for what? Because I argued in favor of something you don't like? Are you that insecure? You can't even hear something that you don't agree with without immediately trying to attack people? Lmao where's the mute button on this board. You're obviously an insecure man child. Pathetic. 

Archived