kimball

NBA Changes 2019-20

I’m torn because I feel the Lakers should only wear gold at home and that’s it, but as a rare exception, in terms of pure uniform matchup last night should have absolutely been Grizzlies in teal vs. Lakers in gold. As history shows, that’s a proven great matchup and it nearly would’ve had the look of a pure throwback matchup altogether, given that the Lakers’ gold resembles the classic set fairly closely. 

2 hours ago, LMU said:

Let this be a statement from another moderator. Attacking someone because you insinuate that they’re “insecure” or that they should “go cry about it” will not be tolerated. Attack the opinion, not the person.

Hey what about these insinuations and attacks?

15 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

but if you say something dumb then someone else might just point it out. 

Nah, that's not why I took that shot. I took that shot at you because you acted like city jerseys were necessary. 
And is it pathetic? No. I said what I said because I find it pathetic that some people, yourself included, have bought into Nike's dumb system. 

Seems to me like you just accept whatever Nike feeds you. Seems like a Stan to me

Is policy here that calling someone "insecure" is off-limits but calling someone "dumb," "pathetic," and "a Stan" is okay? Or is it that moderators attacking users is okay, but not the other way around?

10 minutes ago, seasaltvanilla said:

Is policy here that calling someone "insecure" is off-limits but calling someone "dumb," "pathetic," and "a Stan" is okay? Or is it that moderators attacking users is okay, but not the other way around?

Is that not attacking the opinion within the context you just provided?

How do you label an opinion "a Stan"? And again, why is it okay for an insinuation to be made that "you just accept whatever Nike feeds you" and "[you've] bought into Nike's dumb system" but not to insinuate that someone is "insecure?" A (pejorative) assumption about intent is being made in both cases.

On 11/22/2019 at 1:23 PM, Froob said:

It is funny how people are so fine ripping the Kings or Clippers away but complain about OKC so much. What happened to the Sonics is a tragedy, but it’s :censored:ty to want to rip other teams away.

No it’s not. The NBA doesn’t care about loyalty. Why should I?

8 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

What is a "Stan"?

An intense fan of something.

Comes from this:

12 minutes ago, Jimmy! said:

No it’s not. The NBA doesn’t care about loyalty. Why should I?

It absolutely is. You can't throw a pity party about "Sonicsgate" for over a decade but then feel entitled to do the exact same thing to another fanbase. I know I lost a lot of sympathy for Sonics fans over the whole Kings debacle.

8 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

It absolutely is. You can't throw a pity party about "Sonicsgate" for over a decade but then feel entitled to do the exact same thing to another fanbase. I know I lost a lot of sympathy for Sonics fans over the whole Kings debacle.

Good for you.

2 hours ago, TheRoman said:

In Canada hockey is still king, but here in the US I think it’s a fair assumption that soccer is more popular than hockey

Game 1 of 2019 Stanley Cup Finals on NBC 5.264 million.  Game 7 8.72 million.  Soccer might actually be the most participated sport in both Canada and the US, but that doesn't mean it's popular enough to draw big nationally.

MLS and the NHL are pretty regional, but the NHL has a bit more of national presence that MLS doesn't

The numbers I should have used for the original comparison since the poster suggested MLS was going to pass by the NBA sooner of later were game 1 on ABC with Golden State vs Toronto was 10.77 million and game 6 18.34 million.

I'm not knocking MLS, by the way.  They are on the upswing.  Just saying you can't say it's going to be more popular than the NBA or even the NHL when the TV numbers don't show it.  It's not even close.

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

An intense fan of something.

Comes from this:

correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe it's stalker + fan = stan.  for example, i am flattered that most of the posters on here are stans of mine

57 minutes ago, Hoopskid said:

Updated tracker for 2019/20 Statement and city jerseys. Haven't fully rendered all city jerseys yet but I think all except for Miami have been officially released?

49117640452_3b1213ac90_o.pngstatement201920 

49116941168_9871c2e137_o.pngcity201920 

Why so many black jerseys, why so many jerseys that aren’t team colors. This is so bothering. Agh!

The reason I’m glad the lakers wore purple is because it is a darker color than the teal that the grizzlies wore. I always like seeing a darker color vs a brighter color. Reason 2 is because both their yellow and white jerseys traditionally associate with home games. And seeing them wear “home” jerseys away would have been weird for me

6 hours ago, Scrumptious Ham said:

You're a mod? You are awfully combative on this board. You should be held to a higher standard. Who polices the police around here?

Have I used my mod abilities to censor him? Punish him? Nah. 
Believe it or not? Mods have opinions on stuff too. 

3 hours ago, seasaltvanilla said:

I've just logged on today so these developments are all new, but here's the reality here. 

I called @ror1997 a "Stan" for Nike. I also said his point was dumb, but I never said he was dumb. That was attacking the argument, not the individual.

At worst I called him a "Stan" who will "accept whatever Nike feeds" him. 

He has since referred to me as (and this may not be comprehensive as I am going off of memory) "insecure," "pathetic," a "man child," "miserable," and has decided to go a step further and post something to that effect on my profile page. 

ror1997 advocated a position I find dumb. Yes, dumb. And I said, and will continue to say, that it is dumb. That is not the same thing as saying he, personally, is dumb. As far as comments directed at him? I essentially called him a Nike fanboy. 

His responses have been laced with personal insults, and he even went beyond the thread to post more of them on my profile. 

So, yeah. Dude overreacted. 

That's not what I was pointing out. I'm pointing out that you lack tact. That should be the top quality a mod. You get angry. I'm not the first to point out that you are an aggressive poster.

23 minutes ago, Scrumptious Ham said:

That's not what I was pointing out. I'm pointing out that you lack tact. That should be the top quality a mod. You get angry. I'm not the first to point out that you are an aggressive poster.

You say I get angry...except I'm not. Like...not at all. Opinionated? Sure, I'll concede to that all day every day. Angry though? No, I'm not angry. Not now, not when ror1997 listed off every stock internet insult he could find to launch my way. 

The thing to remember here is that this is a text based medium. You, and this is a general "you," cannot tell what the mood of another poster is. 

If my posts "sound" angry to you or anyone else? I'm sorry, that's just not accurate. 

As for what makes a good mod? I've been a mod for a while now. And I think I, and the people I was brought on board with, have done a hell of a job with the tasks we were assigned.

Sorry if you don't like my posting style, but being a moderator doesn't mean I need to recuse myself from discussion. Even heated discussion. 

I've never once used my abilities as a mod to censor or punish someone over a difference of opinion, even here when the person in question overacted with an array of insults.

So I don't think I have very much to reflect on.