NBA Changes 2019-20

kimball

2 minutes ago, seasaltvanilla said:

spacer.png

You're welcome to complain, but you and a few other posters aren't going to get me to change 🤷‍♂️

What I find funny is that you and @Scrumptious Ham apparently have this built-up resentment towards me that came out of nowhere after someone overreacted to being called a Nike fanboy. 

And truth be told? I don't recall many contentious conversations with either of you (I think we got into it once over the New York Jets unis?) 

Anyway my point is rather than fuming at me from afar and blowing up at me publicly? Send me a PM. I would much rather deal with any personal issues someone has with me in a frank discussion privately than having people bottle crap up only for it to explode as part of a public spectacle. 

A+ choice for the Simpsons meme though. 

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the issue here is more about what happens when somebody doesn’t say “Nike bad!” Anybody who deviates from this line of thinking usually gets pounced upon by the boards. Not everybody who likes the “City Jersey” concept is some shill or a stan or something like that. 

I don’t care for the uniform scheme either, but I’m not going to use loaded terms like that to trigger an (uncalled for) overreaction. It’s just poor conduct.

32 minutes ago, seasaltvanilla said:

If you're going to lead things off with "I'm not going to change" what's the point of sending you a PM? You don't feel the need to reflect, by your own words.

I might be more willing to have a reasonable discussion if someone approaches me one-on-one and goes "hey man, you got a minute?" compared to someone who decides to unload a bunch of their ill feelings I'm unaware of on me all at once in a thread ;)

Bottom line is the NBA has screwed with team identities and has just looked for a money grab. I laugh to myself when someone may hate or love a certain jersey and I say to myself "better buy it now or don't worry, it will be gone by next year".You can't turn on a game without looking at the score ticker. It has now been noted as being a joke as many stories now make fun of the league for this. When the Lakers aren't wearing yellow jerseys at home, there's a problem. We've had blue vs. blue match-ups, that's dumb.

32 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

I might be more willing to have a reasonable discussion if someone approaches me one-on-one and goes "hey man, you got a minute?" compared to someone who decides to unload a bunch of their ill feelings I'm unaware of on me all at once in a thread ;)

Civility should be the default, not a carrot you dangle in front of people. Treat people with respect and you’ll be treated with respect.

On 11/23/2019 at 5:42 AM, ror1997 said:

Seems like you're more obsessed with this stuff then I am. 

For the record, it's than, not then. But that's beside the point. When the NBA uniforms have reached the point where uniform geeks like us tune into a game and have no idea which two teams are on the court, it's safe to say that Nike may have gone too far with all this nonsense. It's just dumb...in my opinion. 

Carry on. 😎

BB52Big.jpg

19 minutes ago, the admiral said:

No one ever needs a post from me.

I need your posts. Your "I heard you right proper rogered a goat" post made me laugh. A lot. Where would I be without that sort of post, Lt. Colonel? Where would any of us be? 

BB52Big.jpg

33 minutes ago, seasaltvanilla said:

Civility should be the default, not a carrot you dangle in front of people. Treat people with respect and you’ll be treated with respect.

I'm not dangling anything in front of anyone. It's a fact of life. You pile on someone out of nowhere? They're not going to be as civil with you as they would be if you approached them respectfully.

As for civility? Again, I essentially called ror1997 a Nike Stan. A fanboy. He responded by, again, calling me "insecure," "pathetic," "miserable," and "a manchild." And even went beyond the bounds of this conversation to post that on my profile. I've been remarkably civil given all of that.

6 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

They're not going to be as civil with you as they would be if you approached them respectfully.

As for civility? Again, I essentially called ror1997 a Nike Stan. A fanboy.

Listen man, if you don't see the disparity between these two points of view, and you won't reflect on the fact that your posting style triggers these complaints multiple times from multiple people, I don't know what to tell you. It's not hard to disagree with someone without using loaded language or calling them names. Yes, ror1997 overreacted, but to pretend that it came out of nowhere or that you have no culpability for how you post, and how it's interpreted, is absurd.

Here's the original sin of ror1997:

Why does it matter if people never heard of bed-stuy? Isn't that the entire point of city jerseys? To draw attention to, and honor your city? I never knew Milwaukee was called Cream City. I still have no clue what peach has to do with Atlanta. There was just a bunch of posts on here from people asking if people really say "H-Town" in Houston because they've never heard it before. And then people confirmed they do infact call Houston H-Town. 

The whole point of City jerseys is to honor your city. You're SUPPOSED to learn something new. 

Here is a reasonable disagreement to this post:

The problem is that this stuff is so unnecessary. It's the Brooklyn Nets. Their job isn't pay homage to every little corner of Brooklyn. Their job is to play in Brooklyn and win basketball games. Their uniforms are supposed to look good and identify them. THAT'S ALL
The idea that we need five uniforms per team or that one or more of these uniforms needs to be a hyper-specific local reference is dumb. 

And then it gets unnecessarily personal:

And you know why it's dumb? It's dumb because it's a "system" Nike "presented" us three years ago, and Stans like you just accept it. 

"It's the City Edition(tm) uniform, of course it's supposed to represent something local!" 

No, because the very concept of a "city edition" is dumb. 

There's nothing new here about your central argument that city editions are dumb. You already said that before. The only function this serves is to attack ror1997 for having a different opinion than yours. If you took 5 seconds to review your post and delete this second part, or even just the 7(!) words in bold, this isn't an argument that spans 4 pages, your point still gets made, and you don't get "piled up on." Does that excuse ror1997's subsequent reaction? Of course not. But he's a kid, you're a moderator. You are supposed to be better than that. And I'm sorry if you don't think you should be held to a higher standard, but that's the reality when you are in a position of power (it's also why I've told you before not to brandish the fact that you're a moderator so frequently, because you are just painting a target on your back. I have no idea who the other moderators on this board are.)

I honestly don't want to continue arguing this, and I have plans tonight, so you can take or leave the above. I do give you credit for being civil with me, which in the past I have not felt that you were.

1 hour ago, seasaltvanilla said:

this isn't an argument that spans 4 pages

This is an argument that spans four pages in part because you, in part, made it as such.

Does that excuse ror1997's subsequent reaction? Of course not. But he's a kid, you're a moderator.

I know nothing about ror1997 aside from his user name and what he posts. An educated guess re: his user name would lead someone to the conclusion that he was born in 1997. Meaning he's 22. That's not a kid. That's an adult.

it's also why I've told you before not to brandish the fact that you're a moderator so frequently, because you are just painting a target on your back

Um...can you quote ANY post of mine where I brandish the fact that I'm a moderator? I never ONCE brought it up here, or anywhere else off the top of my head. The people who brought my mod status up are you and @Scrumptious Ham.

No, seriously. Find me ONE post where I brandish my status as a moderator as a weapon in conversation. You can go on about how you just "want this to end" but you don't get to spread blatant untruths and then walk away. I'm willing to write this off as you misunderstanding something I've said, but again I cannot recall an instance where I've said anything equivalent to "I'm a mod, you know" to try and gain a leg up on the conversation.

As for why you happen to know why I'm a mod and not others? Might that be because your frustrations have been building with me, without my knowledge, for some time?

I honestly don't want to continue arguing this, and I have plans tonight, so you can take or leave the above. I do give you credit for being civil with me, which in the past I have not felt that you were.

You wanna talk about plans? A problem I have with this is because I spend every Sunday during football season with friends watching football. And I pop onto the CCSLC's NFL season thread now and then to check out what people say.

And every time I did that today I had a little notification indicating you were on my case, acting like a sort of moral authority. How do you think your behaviour impacted my plans today?

So here's the deal. If you don't like me? I'm sorry. There are a number of people here, quite a bit actually, who I get on with rather well. I'm not going to bend over backwards to win your approval. Again, I'm sorry if you and I just aren't on the same wave length, but that's ok. We don't have to be.

What I will say, however, is that if you have a problem with me? :censored: ing talk to me. Don't fume from afar, because it's no fun for either of us when it eventually explodes publicly like this.

50 minutes ago, seasaltvanilla said:

There's nothing new here about your central argument that city editions are dumb. You already said that before. The only function this serves is to attack ror1997 for having a different opinion than yours. If you took 5 seconds to review your post and delete this second part, or even just the 7(!) words in bold, this isn't an argument that spans 4 pages, your point still gets made, and you don't get "piled up on."

Nice of you to ignore the key point of this.

@Ice_Cap, you know that we generally see eye-to-eye. But I really think you skipping over this specific point is kind of poor form. You should admit that you made a mistake here and that it was unnecessary to add those bolded words that @seasaltvanilla pointed out. At the very least, it’ll get these people off of your back.

Ok, I’m putting on my mod hat.  @seasaltvanilla, if you have an issue with @Ice_Cap and his posting style, deal with it through the proper channels. We’re done with airing grievances in this thread. 

Mike, take a word of advice from a fellow mod and someone who has been in your spot and step away. It’s not worth the aggravation. 

As for for everyone else, let’s get back on topic. Right quick. 

BB52Big.jpg

And then it gets unnecessarily personal:

26 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

@Ice_Cap, you know that we generally see eye-to-eye. But I really think you skipping over this specific point is kind of poor form. You should admit that you made a mistake here and that it was unnecessary to add those bolded words that @seasaltvanilla pointed out. At the very least, it’ll get these people off of your back.

31 minutes ago, Scrumptious Ham said:

Your last post says it all. You are aggressive and can't drop anything. 

Backseat moderating is almost as popular around as is getting root canal while also having the flu. You're above your pay grades here, boys. Leave the moderating to the mods. 😎

Thank you. 

BB52Big.jpg

31 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Nice of you to ignore the key point of this.

I didn't mean to shunt it off to the side, but I was trying to keep my reply from getting too wall of texty. I figured that addressing the untrue bit about me brandishing my mod status was a better use of the economy of space.

31 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

When you're right you're right.

@ror1997 I could have made my point without insulting you personally. I was wrong, and I apologize.

Sorry for the post after @infrared41 but I figured helping settle things done would be ok ;)

1 minute ago, Ice_Cap said:

I didn't mean to shunt it off to the side, but I was trying to keep my reply from getting too wall of texty. I figured that addressing the untrue bit about me brandishing my mod status was a better use of the economy of space.

No, you're absolutely right.

@ror1997 I could have made my point without insulting you personally. I was wrong, and I apologize.

Sorry for the post after @infrared41 but I figured helping settle things done would be ok ;)

Well done.  

BB52Big.jpg

Archived