NBA Changes 2019-20

kimball

58 minutes ago, JTernup said:

If your whole argument in support of sleeves is that it was worth it to boost merchandise sales then you have no reasonable reason to oppose Nike's program. As far as we know this has been a successful marketing campaign and even the loss of home/away/alt designations has gotten more jerseys in front of the home crowds, likely boosting sales.

It is totally reasonable to think that merchandise sales are not a sufficient reason to sacrifice the league's aesthetic traditions. But you have to consistently apply that logic. By my estimation the league looks better than it did in the last few adidas years but it is worse from a consistency and tradition perspective.

That's a good point, but I think the scale of the cash grabbing is different.

Sleeved jerseys were a way to get fat dudes in official teamwear. It failed, but it made sense to try.

City and statement jerseys are a way to build in perpetual uniform turnover and Pokemon-ize NBA merchandise. It's not just enough to have a home or road jersey anymore; you can now ask for the newest alternate jersey each year for Christmas. It's cynical, but I get it.

However, as we've learned, there aren't enough creative ideas to support 2-3 new jerseys per team each season. That's 600 (at least) new jersey designs over a decade, and likely more. That's 60 new jerseys per team over a decade. 

How can you reasonably maintain any kind of branding integrity, or even day-to-day legibility with that kind of turnover? Especially when, if you ask the fans, they really just want Lakers in gold at home, purple on the road and white on Sunday with none of the bull :censored:.

I would imagine there's a reasonable middle ground between so much turnover and preserving 1997 uniform design in amber.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

That's a good point, but I think the scale of the cash grabbing is different.

Sleeved jerseys were a way to get fat dudes in official teamwear. It failed, but it made sense to try.

City and statement jerseys are a way to build in perpetual uniform turnover and Pokemon-ize NBA merchandise. It's not just enough to have a home or road jersey anymore; you can now ask for the newest alternate jersey each year for Christmas. It's cynical, but I get it.

However, as we've learned, there aren't enough creative ideas to support 2-3 new jerseys per team each season. That's 600 (at least) new jersey designs over a decade, and likely more. That's 60 new jerseys per team over a decade. 

How can you reasonably maintain any kind of branding integrity, or even day-to-day legibility with that kind of turnover? Especially when, if you ask the fans, they really just want Lakers in gold at home, purple on the road and white on Sunday with none of the bull :censored:.

I would imagine there's a reasonable middle ground between so much turnover and preserving 1997 uniform design in amber.

I mean...at this point Soccer clubs have 2/3 completely new designs per year. In comparison 1 new alternate per team every year doesn't seem that crazy. 

Honestly the soccer model might be the reason Nike found yearly city jerseys suitable. 

I think making the sleeve jerseys the in-game jerseys actually backfired in terms of selling them to fans. Just make replica soccer jersey type shirts, but in the usual team styles, and I bet they would have sold better to the no-tank-top crowd. In fact I feel like fanatics or Nike even does that now, just for women’s cuts?

i realize there’s a premium to be charged for the on-court product... but medium margins on a decent item are better than big margins on a laughingstock. And regular designs probably would have helped more than the garbage dumb ugly designs they were mostly cranking out on the sleeve template.

(I’m also skeptical that tank tops don’t sell well because people don’t want to wear them. I see people who shouldn’t wear jerseys wearing them anyway more than I’d like, but that might just be living amongst Boston bro’s.)

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

40 minutes ago, DrAwesomeberry said:

That graphic really lays out how unnecessary all these alts are. You could very easily get every team down to 3 jerseys without losing anything of value. 

I'd say 4 is reasonable: primary home, primary away, alternate, and throwback. That's the way it's been for the past 20 or so years.

5 hours ago, Satomiblood said:

Sixers and Nuggets too.

I'm not a fan of the Sixer's classic. And I am definitely not a fan of the Nuggets' redesign. Their city jersey, despite the use of black, is their best jersey. 

8 hours ago, Pengin. said:

Kings, Heat, Blazers, and Jazz are the few teams that actually have good jerseys across the board

I think your missing the grizzlies, no outrageous city, a good throwback, they seem like the only team with the guts to stand against Nike’s ridiculousness.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

40 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

I think your missing the grizzlies, no outrageous city, a good throwback, they seem like the only team with the guts to stand against Nike’s ridiculousness.

The Jazz and their Statement and City jerseys would like a word with you

47 minutes ago, Haz_Matt said:

The Jazz and their Statement and City jerseys would like a word with you

The Jazz city uniform while not bad is part of Nike’s ridiculousness. Gradient, and Non-team colors, I hated it when it first came out, I still wish it would be replaced with the green uniform they had when they first rebranded. 
The gold uniform also needs a wordmark and not just the J-note logo.

Utah could have the leagues best set but these two alts severely hinder it.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Archived