NBA Changes 2019-20

kimball

2 hours ago, M4One said:

Obviously, the Lakers will wear a patch for Kobe.  If other teams chose to do the same, then that's okay, too.  But, changing the logo or retiring the number league wide is an over reaction.  Kobe was great, but there have been great players whose numbers could also be retired, but aren't.  What if down the road, another great player dies, do we change the logo again?  Has there every been a situation where the entire league would wear a patch in memory of a player's death?  

MLB All Star Game just last season

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, skip88 said:

passed away so tragically... uhm, flying in a private helicopter or small plane is very dangerous. accidents often happen, even military helicopters often crash, and rally driver Colin Mcrae and baseballs Roy halladay was killed in similar fashion.

Dieing in a accident is no more tragic then getting cancer and suffering for years then only to die in great pain.

And that could happen to Lebron or Michael Jordan, etc.  should we change the logo again then, or is that kind of death not tragic enough?

Also, you don't update a logo because  it has been around for X amount of years, that is what makes it classic.  Imagine if the Yankees thought like that.

who the heck is Colin McCrae? And Roy Holliday (RIP) wasn’t anywhere near as popular as Kobe or more importantly doesn’t play basketball. So I don’t know why ur using that as a counter argument against mine. 

try again buddy 

30 minutes ago, KRZYBDGRZ said:

Why hasn’t the nba made any sort of announcement on a patch or band yet? 

Because they still have to design the patch, decide if every team is going to wear it, make the patches ect. A black stripe like they are currently doing for stern was easy it’s just a piece of fabric. Doing what they need to do for Kobe is going to take a little bit of time.

2 minutes ago, andregunts said:

who the heck is Colin McCrae? And Roy Holliday (RIP) wasn’t anywhere near as popular as Kobe or more importantly doesn’t play basketball. So I don’t know why ur using that as a counter argument against mine. 

try again buddy 

Because Roy halladay did mean a lot to baseball, died in a similar fashion only a few years after he retired like Kobe, yet you don’t see people saying his number needs to be retired league wide and change the league logo to his image. It’s just foolish and too quick of a reaction. As someone said in the other thread, there is a reason why the Halls of Fame wait 5 years before anyone can be inducted. That’s because we don’t make brash decisions and put non deserving people into the hall a year after their final game. Same should apply here, we should wait and let everything sink in for a minute.

16 minutes ago, dont care said:

Because Roy halladay did mean a lot to baseball, died in a similar fashion only a few years after he retired like Kobe, yet you don’t see people saying his number needs to be retired league wide and change the league logo to his image. It’s just foolish and too quick of a reaction. As someone said in the other thread, there is a reason why the Halls of Fame wait 5 years before anyone can be inducted. That’s because we don’t make brash decisions and put non deserving people into the hall a year after their final game. Same should apply here, we should wait and let everything sink in for a minute.

answer this question and answer it honestly.

did Roy Holliday mean as much to baseball like how Kobe mean as mean to basketball? Yes or no? 

and when you’re done answering that 

Jerry West is the current silhouette of the NBA logo and I’m sure he would at a minimum consider changing the logo to Kobe because he literally just said “Kobe was like a son to him”

do you have a similar comparison I’m baseball? 

be straight forward and direct in your answer. 

If the Lakers want to see if they can get an NBA waiver for some kind of #24 game or something along those lines, that's fine with me. Anything the Lakers do is fine by me because there's no guideline for how grief is handled and how to properly honor a player; that's something that's subjective to every team and rightly so.

For my part, knowing that the distinction in this case vs. other similar ones is that Kobe was retired, I can't help but feel like the most appropriate way to honor him would be starting their next game with only four players on the court, leaving the 2-guard position empty. There will obviously be the shot-clock/backcourt violations, creating dead ball situations, so subbing on a 2-guard would occur after that has happened.

spacer.png

27 minutes ago, andregunts said:

answer this question and answer it honestly.

did Roy Holliday mean as much to baseball like how Kobe mean as mean to basketball? Yes or no? 

and when you’re done answering that 

Jerry West is the current silhouette of the NBA logo and I’m sure he would at a minimum consider changing the logo to Kobe because he literally just said “Kobe was like a son to him”

do you have a similar comparison I’m baseball? 

be straight forward and direct in your answer. 

No, but it leaves a bad precedent because what if something as tragic happens to Jordan, or Lebron or any other all time great. Do you change the logo then too? Do you retire every single one of their numbers? Dale Earnhardt who means more to the sport of nascar than Kobe did for basketball died on the track In the biggest most watched race of the year and his number is still racing, on a black and silver car this year no less. 

1 hour ago, dont care said:

No, but it leaves a bad precedent because what if something as tragic happens to Jordan, or Lebron or any other all time great. Do you change the logo then too? Do you retire every single one of their numbers? Dale Earnhardt who means more to the sport of nascar than Kobe did for basketball died on the track In the biggest most watched race of the year and his number is still racing, on a black and silver car this year no less. 

I never said anything about retiring his number. My argument that it’s valid that we should at least consider changing the logo. 

I never said anything about league wide retiring his number 

2 minutes ago, andregunts said:

I never said anything about retiring his number. My argument that it’s valid that we should at least consider changing the logo. 

I never said anything about league wide retiring his number 

Jerry West doesn’t own the logo. Just because a picture of him influenced the design does not mean Jerry West’s opinion should be the driving force for change. Outside yesterday’s tragedy, I cannot think of a reason why Kobe Bryant should be the embodiment of a new NBA logo. 

28 minutes ago, Brandon9485 said:

Jerry West doesn’t own the logo. Just because a picture of him influenced the design does not mean Jerry West’s opinion should be the driving force for change. Outside yesterday’s tragedy, I cannot think of a reason why Kobe Bryant should be the embodiment of a new NBA logo. 

if the logo doesn’t change, trust me the world would still go on. 

However, with this push on social media to update the logo to reflect how the league has changed and Kobe being the sillohoute . It’s something I wouldn’t mind seeing 

As far as guys who have inspired modern NBA players, it's MJ, Kobe and LeBron. Of those three, one died tragically years before it felt right.

If the NBA were to consider changing the logo (and I'm not saying they should one way or another), it would certainly be appropriate to incorporate Kobe given the circumstances.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

6 hours ago, andregunts said:

who the heck is Colin McCrae?

McRae was one of the best rally driver in WRC history. I understand you might didn't watch rallies, because they aren't much popular in North America, but don't tell me that you never heard of video games named after him or Dirt series which was indicated as a Colin McRae for first two editions and they are part of McRae series.

For me the best way to honor Kobe would be name an ASG MVP award after him. He deserved that.

4r2eer.png

10 hours ago, skip88 said:

passed away so tragically... uhm, flying in a private helicopter or small plane is very dangerous. accidents often happen, even military helicopters often crash, and rally driver Colin Mcrae and baseballs Roy halladay was killed in similar fashion.

Dieing in a accident is no more tragic then getting cancer and suffering for years then only to die in great pain.

And that could happen to Lebron or Michael Jordan, etc.  should we change the logo again then, or is that kind of death not tragic enough?

Also, you don't update a logo because  it has been around for X amount of years, that is what makes it classic.  Imagine if the Yankees thought like that.

Dude, it's not about the danger, he's not stupid and neither is anybody who steps in a helicopter. He rode those things constantly, this was another routine trip with his 13 year old daughter and that's where the tragedy is. One of the most important players to the sport over the last two decades just died in a really messed up way. This should not have happened.

I understand some people can view the whole reaction to this to be excessive but that's just how much he meant to people. He's worth this type of response.

bSLCtu2.png

2 hours ago, pepis21 said:

McRae was one of the best rally driver in WRC history. I understand you might didn't watch rallies, because they aren't much popular in North America, but don't tell me that you never heard of video games named after him or Dirt series which was indicated as a Colin McRae for first two editions and they are part of McRae series.

Oh, I will tell you that, with pleasure.  I have never heard of Colin McRae, or any video games named after him, or the Dirt series which was indicated as Colin McRae or the McRae series.

The only McRaes I have ever heard of is Hal McRae and Brian McRae.  And no, I won't get upset if you, personally, haven't heard of them.

6 hours ago, DG_Now said:

As far as guys who have inspired modern NBA players, it's MJ, Kobe and LeBron. Of those three, one died tragically years before it felt right.

If the NBA were to consider changing the logo (and I'm not saying they should one way or another), it would certainly be appropriate to incorporate Kobe given the circumstances.

If LeBron tragically dies at an early age, then what? 

And why would the NBA have to change its logo posthumously instead of for a living legend?

Creating an annual league award named for Kobe (like the WPMotY) seems more meaningful IMO. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, SCalderwood said:

Oh, I will tell you that, with pleasure.  I have never heard of Colin McRae, or any video games named after him, or the Dirt series which was indicated as Colin McRae or the McRae series.

The only McRaes I have ever heard of is Hal McRae and Brian McRae.  And no, I won't get upset if you, personally, haven't heard of them.

I'm not upset and I didn't want to be rude, but Colin McRae video games were a huge hits. Dirt series is even more for North American gamers with all those X-games vibes, so maybe I mistakenly assumed that people know these games. My bad.

Btw, I suprise you, I heard about Hal McRae, because of his unfamous rant (thanks to DJ Steve Porter), but with Brian true, I don't heard about him, but quick check in google and I already know that he is a son of Hal and was also a baseball player.

4r2eer.png

Archived