NBA Changes 2019-20

kimball

10 hours ago, dannykraft said:

This is a bit off topic but watching Kobes last game make me miss wish the lakers kept those uniforms. 

I actually felt the opposite watching those highlights. The white numbers on a gold jersey isn't good, and I prefer the brighter yellow.

I'd be 100% for the Lakers being allowed to bring back the Mamba jerseys for the rest of the season at the very least. Makes so much sense.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whatever they do with patches, number changes, special Laker uniforms, new league logo, number retirements, dedications, etc. I’m totally cool with. Just like life will go on if they don’t update the logo, life will go on if they do. You don’t hold off on honoring someone if it has player and fan support just because you’re waiting for the next tragedy IMO. Their first step should be to name the ASG MVP trophy after him, as he and Bob Petit have held that trophy more than anyone. The rest is up to them and I’m all for it.

1 hour ago, eRay said:

Whatever they do with patches, number changes, special Laker uniforms, new league logo, number retirements, dedications, etc. I’m totally cool with. Just like life will go on if they don’t update the logo, life will go on if they do. You don’t hold off on honoring someone if it has player and fan support just because you’re waiting for the next tragedy IMO. Their first step should be to name the ASG MVP trophy after him, as he and Bob Petit have held that trophy more than anyone. The rest is up to them and I’m all for it.

This is where I am at too. Kobe was a giant in the game, and easily one of the 10 most (if not 5 most) impactful players in league history.

There's no simple way to honor him in a way that will be exactly right and exactly perfect for everyone. But that doesn't mean that whatever they do won't be done with the best of intent.

Re: the jerseys shown in last night's rebroadcast of Kobe's final game -- I was taken a back at how old they seemed. Not the cut, but the styling. Those jerseys were a perfect update for Lakers basketball for 15 years, but they seemed really dated just three years later. However, I do think the white numbers look nice; it's my favorite part of this year's City jersey.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

7 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Pink? Brown? Interesting. 

The brown is for the Special Olympics game. That's one of their colors I believe. I'm guessing pink was used, as well as green. so that each game had its own color scheme. 

https://media.specialolympics.org/resources/brand-awareness-and-communication/branding/brand-guidelines/Brand-Identity-Color-Palette.pdf

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

13 hours ago, andregunts said:

However, with this push on social media to update the logo to reflect how the league has changed and Kobe being the sillohoute . It’s something I wouldn’t mind seeing 

To reflect the modern game, I'd still prefer MJ ... but, I get the sediment for Kobe.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Nah, they're using the Chicago "L" (I hate those house style quotes) as design inspo this year, sorta like they did the New York subway for that Brooklyn/MSG year. I thought a forum full of designers knew their subway maps better!

mapa-metro-chicago.png

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

10 minutes ago, Digby said:

Nah, they're using the Chicago "L" (I hate those house style quotes) as design inspo this year, sorta like they did the New York subway for that Brooklyn/MSG year. I thought a forum full of designers knew their subway maps better!

mapa-metro-chicago.png

Only map I'm used to looking at is the London Underground. But these make sense. I like it better than blue and red being used over and over with different patches. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

8 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Only map I'm used to looking at is the London Underground. But these make sense. I like it better than blue and red being used over and over with different patches. 

It works out nicely that there are 8 lines and 8 jerseys to make, setting aside for a moment the fact that each game requiring its own bespoke brand (the celebs!) is way over-the-top and yet totally normal for the modern NBA.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

40 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

The brown is for the Special Olympics game. That's one of their colors I believe. I'm guessing pink was used, as well as green. so that each game had its own color scheme. 

https://media.specialolympics.org/resources/brand-awareness-and-communication/branding/brand-guidelines/Brand-Identity-Color-Palette.pdf

They are colors of the subway lines

7 hours ago, WSU151 said:

If LeBron tragically dies at an early age, then what? 

And why would the NBA have to change its logo posthumously instead of for a living legend?

Creating an annual league award named for Kobe (like the WPMotY) seems more meaningful IMO. 

Well I suppose the hope is that none of the other NBA legends die tragically in a horrible helicopter crash. If LeBron faces a similar fate, you cross that bridge when you come to it, but it's not like this stuff happens all the time. I'm not sure you need a contingency for every famous player dying unexpectedly.

As I've said, I'd be against changing the logo to Kobe, but it's not world-ending or outlandish for his fans to promote the idea, given his level of iconic-ism and the circumstances of his untimely death. I think changing the logo is unnecessary and it's better for it to be somewhat anonymous (since even when you know it's Jerry West it doesn't really look like Jerry West). But if they were to change it, I'd much prefer they go with someone who has passed instead of a living legend, personally. 

A league award seems like a great idea, I agree.

18 minutes ago, Froob said:

I thought it was a cool gesture personally. 

Almost every player in the league today grew up idolizing Kobe or at least respect the longevity of his career and the #mambamentality that he promoted to athletes all across the world from baseball, soccer, football and even tennis. As fans of the game, we will never have that perspective of being an NBA player wearing  #8 or #24 who, for the rest of time, will always think of Kobe for those two numbers. Just seeing all of their reactions immediately after the accident and their pure emotions re-enforced that point. While the number may not be retired by every franchise, I just couldn't see too many players any time soon wearing those 2 numbers out of respect for Kobe and the legacy he left in basketball. We as fans and uni-enthusiasts will never understand or have that connection so our opinion will not be the same as what they are asking for or want to do. 

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

Honestly this thread about whether or not the NBA should make changes based on Kobe makes me feel a little weird. Like, the man just died tragically, and people are debating whether or not it's worthy of a logo, jersey, patch, etc. I know we're all about uniforms and logos here, but can we just let the league do what it wants to do and move on?

The Kobe Bryant Player of the Year Award, given annually to the player who best represented his Mamba Mentality of 100% dedication to his game and to his family/community.  Voted on by players and coaches and awarded at the NBA Awards Show.

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

57 minutes ago, djam2410 said:

Almost every player in the league today grew up idolizing Kobe or at least respect the longevity of his career and the #mambamentality that he promoted to athletes all across the world from baseball, soccer, football and even tennis. As fans of the game, we will never have that perspective of being an NBA player wearing  #8 or #24 who, for the rest of time, will always think of Kobe for those two numbers. Just seeing all of their reactions immediately after the accident and their pure emotions re-enforced that point. While the number may not be retired by every franchise, I just couldn't see too many players any time soon wearing those 2 numbers out of respect for Kobe and the legacy he left in basketball. We as fans and uni-enthusiasts will never understand or have that connection so our opinion will not be the same as what they are asking for or want to do. 

As I noted

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

52 minutes ago, djam2410 said:

As I noted

Noted in the Kobe thread, but I'll reiterate it here ... this is the way the number should be honored league wide. Don't retire it league wide, just don't wear it.

1 hour ago, itsmb8 said:

The Kobe Bryant Player of the Year Award, given annually to the player who best represented his Mamba Mentality of 100% dedication to his game and to his family/community.  Voted on by players and coaches and awarded at the NBA Awards Show.

I personally like the idea of renaming the ASG trophy after him.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Archived