NBA Changes 2019-20

kimball

28 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Yes, or they could have just as easily done this:

vlade-divac-of-the-los-angeles-lakers-wa

It's what people wanted and Nike decided to dick around and now LAL is stuck with a jersey they don't even wear much anymore.

I've always suspected that the modernized version of that is coming next year or the year after. With some handwavey nonsense about the "Statement" cycle.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Digby said:

I've always suspected that the modernized version of that is coming next year or the year after. With some handwavey nonsense about the "Statement" cycle.

White jersey should have been the statement jersey from the get go.

On 1/28/2020 at 9:19 AM, MJWalker45 said:

https://www.uniswag.com/blog/2020-nba-all-star-uniforms

All of the All Star weekend uniforms have been released. this year includes a Special Olympics game as well as an All Star, Rising Stars and Celebrity game.

NikeNews_NBAAll-Star2020_ALLSTAR_Composite_Final_Updated_re_93652.jpg

Doors open on the left at Belmont. Transfer to World and All-Star jerseys at Belmont. This is a Special Olympics jersey to Kimball. ding-dooong

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 1/27/2020 at 5:12 AM, Rockstar Matt said:

Trae wore #8 for the entire first half. 

And I imagine non-Laker teams would wear a patch (or wear the black stripe for both Stern and Kobe), if they choose to honor him league wide. 

Not the first half but he did have it on at the start. "Young wore a No. 8 jersey to salute Bryant during the first few seconds of the game and dressed up his shoes with a heartfelt tribute, as well." ESPN

My thoughts on league-wide retirements are that it's unnecessary in almost all cases. I asked the question about Cuban of why it would make sense for him to decide #24 should be retired for the Mavs only after the passing of Bryant.

As for the rest of the season, I'd be cool with a Lakers doing a patch or if the NBA decided to go league-wide. Players should be able to honor Bryant however they wish, whether that's switching to or moving away from 8 and 24.

For the league logo change argument (which I’m against), what about if you just change it every year? Next year Kobe, the following Bill Russell, the following Dirk, the following Kareem, etc. You let people learn about former players and you change the uniforms every year like soccer anyway.

KISSwall09.jpg

22 hours ago, Froob said:

Man seeing old Kobe highlights, the Lakers have gotta fix that jersey and revert it to the old style without the dumb black trim 

spacer.png

Yeah, they really dropped the ball on the current Lakers set. They need to fix the gold, drop the black and, for the love of god, WEAR THE DAMN GOLD AND WHITE AT HOME!!!!! 

XM4KeeA.png

13 hours ago, hormone said:

For the league logo change argument (which I’m against), what about if you just change it every year? Next year Kobe, the following Bill Russell, the following Dirk, the following Kareem, etc. You let people learn about former players and you change the uniforms every year like soccer anyway.

Because it’s a league logo, it needs to be consistent and instantly recognizable. The nba logo has been the same (outside of a font update a few years ago) for 50 years. The NFL Logo has changed only 6 times in 100 years, just making it simpler and easier to read and reproduce. NHL has really only changed 1 time in over 100 years. And Major League Baseball has never changed its logo since the started using one in 1969. Do you see the pattern here?

2 hours ago, dont care said:

Because it’s a league logo, it needs to be consistent and instantly recognizable. The nba logo has been the same (outside of a font update a few years ago) for 50 years. The NFL Logo has changed only 6 times in 100 years, just making it simpler and easier to read and reproduce. NHL has really only changed 1 time in over 100 years. And Major League Baseball has never changed its logo since the started using one in 1969. Do you see the pattern here?

That's right. And also it would be a nightmare for the NBA to tell all of their partners and all of the media entities every year that the logo they had been using is now outdated and everyone on the graphics teams needs to change it... and BTW, in 365 days you're going to make another update again! 

Go A's!

1 hour ago, phutmasterflex said:

That's right. And also it would be a nightmare for the NBA to tell all of their partners and all of the media entities every year that the logo they had been using is now outdated and everyone on the graphics teams needs to change it... and BTW, in 365 days you're going to make another update again! 

But, having alternate logos that are consistent year in and year out would be cool.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

2 hours ago, kimball said:

But, having alternate logos that are consistent year in and year out would be cool.

Imagine other billion dollar companies doing this. Nike changes their logo every year. Disney changes their logo every year. It won't fly. There is a lot of money lost with this approach. 

Go A's!

9 minutes ago, Conrad. said:

^ what's with the '24' on that jersey? def not the one Kobe wore. how could they not have one of his jerseys lying around?! yeeesh

Yeah, the numbers are definitely skinnier than they should be. The jersey even has his autograph on the back, so it must’ve been a jersey he signed at one point that the Lakers FO had:

spacer.png

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

16 minutes ago, Conrad. said:

^ what's with the '24' on that jersey? def not the one Kobe wore. how could they not have one of his jerseys lying around?! yeeesh

The players coming out in Kobe jerseys is a nice gesture, but it bothers me that they put his name & number on the current template, which Kobe never actually wore.

Archived