NBA Changes 2019-20

kimball

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Shadojoker said:

I miss bitchin about the "home" uniforms on the road and vice versa..

Example: Lakers "rarely" wearing purple on the road

It's crazy to think that the younger generation/demographic and those watching thereafter will only be familiar with this  NBA. They do not know an NBA where teams had a "home" and "away" jersey, with one alternate on occasion.  Call me a boomer (even though I'm in my late 30's) but I miss the aesthetic simplicity of the game, even with the crazy jerseys of the mid/late 90's, I enjoyed the tradition of a home & road unis. I wish this was still the norm for 90% of games, I think 10% of color vs color games would be sufficient enough. 

alkaline-trio_logo-with-heart.jpg

On 3/18/2020 at 3:38 PM, FamousAtticus said:

It's crazy to think that the younger generation/demographic and those watching thereafter will only be familiar with this  NBA. They do not know an NBA where teams had a "home" and "away" jersey, with one alternate on occasion.  Call me a boomer (even though I'm in my late 30's) but I miss the aesthetic simplicity of the game, even with the crazy jerseys of the mid/late 90's, I enjoyed the tradition of a home & road unis. I wish this was still the norm for 90% of games, I think 10% of color vs color games would be sufficient enough. 

Ive been around enough for both, and tbh I think I like this newer style more. (except for wacky city editions, those can stop)  I may be in the younger generation at almost 22, but ive still been around enough for both.

I think they just ruin it with white on the road and wacky one-year jerseys.

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

On 3/18/2020 at 4:38 PM, FamousAtticus said:

I can totally relate to this post.  I am a guy in his mid-30's whose biggest interest in the NBA was from around 1995-2010.  

There was something great about the "consistency" that the NBA provided with teams wearing white (or yellow, for the Lakers) at home, and dark or colored jerseys on the road.  The occasional alternate jersey, or team wearing white on the road, felt like a VERY rare occurrence, so rare that it was kind of cool to see because you never knew when you would see it again (if ever).

To me, there is something to be said about "consistency," "reliability," and "stability" when it comes to being able to take something seriously.  Even though jersey schedules are pre-planned, it still FEELS like a free-for-all where teams just wear whatever they want, whenever they want, without regard to, well, anything. I don't really even watch the NBA anymore because it's just hard for me to take it seriously when the teams won't take their jerseys or even just their identities seriously.  The entire league feels like a big joke to me now because of the ridiculous amounts of different colors and uniforms each team wears.  And yes, I feel like a boomer as I post this as well.

On one hand, it's fun as a fan to see teams wear different uniforms, especially your own. Why market the orange "city" jerseys, meant to shout out the local citrus industries, so much if you're never going to wear them at home? Instead of Lakers @ Magic always being purple vs white, it can be yellow vs blue, white vs black, and so on. On the other hand, it was nice to have consistency - you could explain to someone that's never been to a basketball game that the Magic are the team in white, that's who you want to cheer for. Now, they could be in white, black, blue, or dark gray and orange. Depending on the matchup, you might not be able to tell who's who simply judging by the uniform (of course, there's the court, the scorebug, etc to look at, but you know what I mean).

It's fun to see the Pelicans wear Mardi Gras colors, or the Nets with some weird multi colored trim, or the Heat in a Miami Vice getup - but at the same time I miss the simplicity of how things used to be.

ExJworW.png

I agree. I don't like the consistency. It ruins classic home game looks for teams like the Celtics, bulls, and lakers. Or my personal example: the pelicans. Before nike theyve been wearing the same exact white jerseys on the same exact court design since the day the pelicans even became a team.  It was sort of an iconic look for their home games, considering it was the only look they ever had. With occasional Mardi Gras and red which only happened closer to the end adidas. And from then on it expanded to red at home almost every game with white being played in like once a month.

IMG-7122.gif

23 hours ago, SCalderwood said:

To me, there is something to be said about "consistency," "reliability," and "stability" when it comes to being able to take something seriously.  Even though jersey schedules are pre-planned, it still FEELS like a free-for-all where teams just wear whatever they want, whenever they want, without regard to, well, anything. I don't really even watch the NBA anymore because it's just hard for me to take it seriously when the teams won't take their jerseys or even just their identities seriously.  The entire league feels like a big joke to me now because of the ridiculous amounts of different colors and uniforms each team wears.  And yes, I feel like a boomer as I post this as well.

Completely agree with this. I get fans wanting to see their teams play in their City jerseys at home, I don't have any issues with that, but they should plan those nights against a team that has contrasting road jersey, not a team just settling on wearing their home white's because the home team elected to wear their "darker" jersey. For instance, I'm actually a fan of what the Magic did with their City uniform this year (details aside), especially pairing it with their complimentary court design. Instead of the road team deferring to their home whites when playing in Orlando, why not schedule that "City" night against a team that has a contrasting road jersey, like the Lakers (purple), Bulls (red), Celtics (green), etc. That would make 100x more sense to me than what they are settling for in today's NBA. 

1 hour ago, FamousAtticus said:

Completely agree with this. I get fans wanting to see their teams play in their City jerseys at home, I don't have any issues with that, but they should plan those nights against a team that has contrasting road jersey, not a team just settling on wearing their home white's because the home team elected to wear their "darker" jersey. For instance, I'm actually a fan of what the Magic did with their City uniform this year (details aside), especially pairing it with their complimentary court design. Instead of the road team deferring to their home whites when playing in Orlando, why not schedule that "City" night against a team that has a contrasting road jersey, like the Lakers (purple), Bulls (red), Celtics (green), etc. That would make 100x more sense to me than what they are settling for in today's NBA. 

Purple or green vs gray would be awful. Red probably wouldn’t work either. Maybe something like the old Nuggets powder blues*?

*Unrelated: the Melo-era uniforms were the best the Nuggets have ever looked. The rainbow is incredibly overrated and just bad all around.

ExJworW.png

2 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Purple or green vs gray would be awful. Red probably wouldn’t work either. Maybe something like the old Nuggets powder blues*?

I agree with that, I was just mainly pointing out contrasting colors. Slate gray (or whatever the Magic call it) and purple or red or green would still provide some contrast w/o the road team wearing their white jerseys. 

My main point really is keeping white uniforms (or yellow in Lakers case) as the designated home color (not to be worn on road games). 

Archived