NBA Changes 2019-20

kimball

12 hours ago, Ben in LA said:

Old tweet, yes, but I actually like these?

Those grey Nets jerseys are probably some of my favourite basketball jerseys of all time. The Dr. J Nets are right up there too, which may be why I can't stand the Nets' current look. They have a bland name but a shockingly good backlog of designs to choose from. And yet they're content to play up the black and white stuff. 

I think that any homage to the old grey alternates would need to use the old colours of navy and red, as that was part of the charm. It just looks washed out with black and white trim. 

I would also like to see the "BROOKLYN" wordmark in block font to better match the original. I don't care for the rounded font they insist on using. 

On 4/30/2020 at 1:29 AM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

While we're at it, this new Gothic script used on the T-shirts is better than the one they used on the City jerseys.

47 minutes ago, pelicanfan said:

Surprised by the opinions I've seen so far. I can recall a while ago everyone said the volt looked bad and that they should look more like the Skyhawks and be more traditional. Something like:

011715_HawksAllStars.jpg

I really shouldn't like it but this is my favorite Hawks set of all time. Probably doesn't help that 2015 squad is one of my favorite lineups of all time. 

On 4/27/2020 at 5:40 PM, truepg said:

This one looks good. I miss the days of exciting alternates that were recolors of primary sets with slight modifications.

Should replace the black set, but doubt that happens.

7 hours ago, pelicanfan said:

Surprised by the opinions I've seen so far. I can recall a while ago everyone said the volt looked bad and that they should look more like the Skyhawks and be more traditional. Something like:

011715_HawksAllStars.jpg

This set, but with the current fonts and in red and yellow would be amazing.

12 hours ago, pelicanfan said:

011715_HawksAllStars.jpg

Ugh, no. There is way to much piping, an ugly number font (look at the zero), a weird collar, and navy blue. Almost any jersey in their history is better.

12 hours ago, Krz said:

Ugh, no. There is way to much piping, an ugly number font (look at the zero), a weird collar, and navy blue. Almost any jersey in their history is better.

The Hawks historically have had some of the best looking uniforms. 2007-2019 will be a forgettable period, with two of our worst uniform sets. I'm on board with the powder blues, the pinstriped side panels, and the early 2000s sets as my favorites of all time. The early 2000s set is particularly one of my all time underrated uniforms in the NBA. jasonterry02_front.jpg?0302atlanta-hawks-josh-smith-5-shoots-agains56585843_original.jpg?1301101095

Just switch the colors around on the yellow jersey (not that it's bad), and you got a beautiful set.

59 minutes ago, L10nheart404 said:

The Hawks historically have had some of the best looking uniforms. 2007-2019 will be a forgettable period, with two of our worst uniform sets. I'm on board with the powder blues, the pinstriped side panels, and the early 2000s sets as my favorites of all time. The early 2000s set is particularly one of my all time underrated uniforms in the NBA. jasonterry02_front.jpg?0302

I really liked this version. They messed it up when they took the white off the trim in 2004. The number on the shorts was cool too.

Here's the change I'm referring to.

DRl9Ud7WkAEgbTr.jpg

I mean, it's a cliche but...

BK00079_0175.jpg_dominique_uploaded.jpg?

You can make some tweaks/swoop adjustments, but the Hawks have never looked better than this IMO, even though I agree they have a few solid looks to pick from. And as long as the Rockets keep their heads up their asses, Atlanta has a chance to own this color scheme. The Volt look feels like Nike try hard nonsense, and the overly complex design elements don't mesh well with the classic Pac-man logo. The navy made them look like a generified version of the Hawks and always felt temporary. Red and yellow is the way to go, add black if you must.

8 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

I really liked this version. They messed it up when they took the white off the trim in 2004. The number on the shorts was cool too.

Here's the change I'm referring to.

DRl9Ud7WkAEgbTr.jpg

That's exactly why I used the other version. It's subtle, but much better than the 2004 red.

22 minutes ago, Digby said:

Wild how every single era of Hawks uniform, they used the most specifically dated typeface imaginable. Those serifs! Can't believe they ever made it to an NBA uniform.

Lol.. it was an appropriate font for the team identity at the time. Those numbers always resembled a hawk's beak or talons to me. This could be what they go with. Seems every affiliated G-League team has the same typeface as their parent club.maxresdefault.jpg

26 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Isn't that the Stranger Things font? They could get away with it right now.

Indeed it is! Benguiat.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Much like how Penumbra Semi-Serif should be the “Toronto Sports Font,” Benguiat should be the “Atlanta Sports Font.”

17 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Hawks, Falcons, United? I could get behind that. It doesn't fit anywhere with the Braves, most of their stuff predates Atlanta.

Maybe as a wordmark font, like the A’s and Futura Condensed Bold?