NBA Changes 2019-20

kimball

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Mitchell and Ness with a pretty sweet throwback swingman coming...first time I've seen them offer this jersey:

smjycp19229-mbuwhit88smo_1.jpg

https://www.mitchellandness.com/swingman-jersey-milwaukee-bucks-1988-89-sidney-moncrief-smjycp1

Love the ol' Irish Rainbow. Still prefer the versions with the red thrown in, but those are a close 2nd.

Reminds of this fella from a while back:

1 hour ago, Conrad. said:

Love the ol' Irish Rainbow. Still prefer the versions with the red thrown in, but those are a close 2nd.

Reminds of this fella from a while back:

Bucks should tell Nike to start making those now. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

5 hours ago, L10nheart404 said:

Lol.. it was an appropriate font for the team identity at the time. Those numbers always resembled a hawk's beak or talons to me. This could be what they go with. Seems every affiliated G-League team has the same typeface as their parent club.maxresdefault.jpg

I'll hate it if they'll use that type of block font. Doesn't fit the Hawks at all.

20 minutes ago, truepg said:

I'll hate it if they'll use that type of block font. Doesn't fit the Hawks at all.

Ehh... we've had it before on the powder blue, and the jersey with pinstripes on the side. Generic? Maybe...but we've tried the trendsetter thing, and it's time to get a look that'll last.

7 hours ago, L10nheart404 said:

Seems every affiliated G-League team has the same typeface as their parent club.

True. Memphis Hustle start using current Grizzlies font one season before Grizzlies made a rebrand, so College Park Skyhawks numbers might be a sign of Hawks changes.

4r2eer.png

11 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Indeed it is! Benguiat.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Much like how Penumbra Semi-Serif should be the “Toronto Sports Font,” Benguiat should be the “Atlanta Sports Font.”

I cannot tell you how much this has bothered me. The whole rage over Stranger Things has been weird to me because every time I would see the logo, I would immediately think of the Atlanta Hawks. To me personally, it's the Hawks only font. They had it from 1972 to 2007 and it's what I and many others grew up on.

z0UZGvT.png

bSLCtu2.png

11 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Maybe as a wordmark font, like the A’s and Futura Condensed Bold?

Not really seeing it, I assume any full-name wordmark for the Braves would just follow the jersey scripts, like what the Dodgers use sparingly. I like when design elements overlap between teams in a city, but the Braves kinda gotta stand alone.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

22 hours ago, L10nheart404 said:

The Hawks historically have had some of the best looking uniforms. 2007-2019 will be a forgettable period, with two of our worst uniform sets. I'm on board with the powder blues, the pinstriped side panels, and the early 2000s sets as my favorites of all time. The early 2000s set is particularly one of my all time underrated uniforms in the NBA. jasonterry02_front.jpg?0302atlanta-hawks-josh-smith-5-shoots-agains56585843_original.jpg?1301101095

Just switch the colors around on the yellow jersey (not that it's bad), and you got a beautiful set.

Even their full front logo, gradient uniform was actually pretty good.  Probably the only of that 90s type that worked.  Closer to Nuggets rainbow than Rockets pajamas.

Somehow the 80s Hawks moderate yellow and Rockets minimal yellow makes their schemes seem entirely distinct from each other.  Same way Bulls red/black and Blazers black/red didn't either, even when Blazers were also red/black.

On 4/30/2020 at 5:51 PM, L10nheart404 said:

Lol.. there's not much to extract, besides the fact that they will definitely be an upgrade. I was saying the new Hawks uniforms are more in line with how they should look. Not trying to be trendy. The colors of the Skyhawks, their drop shadow numbers, and the 2k team Hawks Talon GC, all point to something fans will be proud of.

We were also saying the falcons uniforms would for sure be an upgrade because they can’t get much worse. And they found a way to make it wayyyyyy worse.

14 hours ago, L10nheart404 said:

Ehh... we've had it before on the powder blue, and the jersey with pinstripes on the side. Generic? Maybe...but we've tried the trendsetter thing, and it's time to get a look that'll last.

Going with the most generic option for a "look that lasts" is very underwhelming, tho, and reminds me of the stupidity that the Cavs did when they switched from the first LeBron era sets. Seeing @Conrad. liking those posts basically confirms the fact for me.

The Hawks should've gone from that Benguiat font look they used from '72 to '07 and developed it, and established it as their own look that would have lasted.

On 4/30/2020 at 6:59 AM, Conrad. said:

I can only say they are an improvement from the current look, but that's not saying much, haha. Can't think of many people that won't like the new duds.

I would love for the Atlanta Hawks to remain on the classic White - Red - Black color scheme while also switching the Volt with this Peach color they introduced this year🍑

I prefer 🤍❤️🖤🍑 to 🤍❤️🖤💛, that way, the Hawks have a truly unique color scheme and leave the Ketchup and Mustard combo open for whenever the Houston Rockets rebrand!

10 hours ago, the admiral said:

Not really seeing it, I assume any full-name wordmark for the Braves would just follow the jersey scripts, like what the Dodgers use sparingly. I like when design elements overlap between teams in a city, but the Braves kinda gotta stand alone.

Fair point. They’re the ones who white flighted to the suburbs, after all. 

I still often wish the Braves rebranded upon moving to Atlanta. Atlanta Firebirds always sounded cool to me, what with the whole “Sherman’s fire acting as a big reset on the city” development. That way, both the city and team would “rise” from the ashes of their past. 

Of course, the Braves’ “A” logo is more of a symbol of “The ATL” than any other sports design (the Pac-Hawk, the Falcons’ logos, and probably United’s crest). It’s weird, as I don’t want to lose that symbol but wouldn’t mind a total rebrand in the ‘60s.

The Braves could never really rebrand now. Maybe change the tomahawk to a firefighter’s ax and drop the tomahawk chop out of basic human decency, but the name, colors, and scripts stay.

I don't think it has anything to do with their move out of city limits so much as their uniform tracing back to Boston two relocations ago, and as well as being a regional/national institution beyond Atlanta. That's all I had in mind as to why they couldn't get in on the Benguiat party.

21 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Mitchell and Ness with a pretty sweet throwback swingman coming...first time I've seen them offer this jersey:

smjycp19229-mbuwhit88smo_1.jpg

https://www.mitchellandness.com/swingman-jersey-milwaukee-bucks-1988-89-sidney-moncrief-smjycp1

It's about time they start offering stuff from that era.  Hopefully a warmup jacket is also on the way.

23 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I don't think it has anything to do with their move out of city limits so much as their uniform tracing back to Boston two relocations ago, and as well as being a regional/national institution beyond Atlanta. That's all I had in mind as to why they couldn't get in on the Benguiat party.

Well, that too, probably more than moving to the suburbs. But the suburbs move definitely didn’t help in that regard. 

Either way, Benguiat really should be the Hawks’ font again.

Other than the colors, I actually loved the font with all its bevels in the white-navy-red Hawks look that retained the serifs from Benguiat, and would like to see them use it again with the red-yellow-black color scheme.

Those were fine, but not ideal. They never should have changed colors, and especially not to navy and red. And I don't think the fonts resembled each other at all.

Archived