NBA Changes 2019-20

kimball

33 minutes ago, dont care said:

Unpopular opinion alert: the hawks never had a good look, especially since they never had a look that has lasted more than a couple of years.

Ehhhh ... the original Nique jerseys lasted a decade. If anything that’s their most memorable look. Good? Meh. It gets more points for nostalgia.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, henburg said:

How close are the Hawks to wearing every color on the rainbow at this point? They have to have rebranded more than any team in sports over their history.

Well, besides the usual red, yellow, and black... Blue and green have been the only additions. Powder blues, neon green/royal blue, the navy blue from 2007-2015, and of course the current volt green/yellow. Other than that, Red, yellow, and black have been the dominant Atlanta colors.

47 minutes ago, L10nheart404 said:

Well, besides the usual red, yellow, and black... Blue and green have been the only additions. Powder blues, neon green/royal blue, the navy blue from 2007-2015, and of course the current volt green/yellow. Other than that, Red, yellow, and black have been the dominant Atlanta colors.

All that's left is orange (although Peachtree has that covered) and purple.

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

57 minutes ago, L10nheart404 said:

So other than 2 colors...

5 hours ago, henburg said:

How close are the Hawks to wearing every color on the rainbow at this point? They have to have rebranded more than any team in sports over their history.

I raise you the Utah Jazz, who literally wore every color in the rainbow over the past 2 seasons (with regular, statement, city, and throwback unis).

Donovan Mitchell Discusses Workout Routine, Shows Off Carlos ...

Is Donovan Mitchell Making The Leap For The Utah Jazz?

Utah Jazz Forward Joe Ingles' 2019-20 Season Review

Joe Ingles Blows Kiss To Magic Crowd After Making Three-Pointer

Utah Jazz: Joe Ingles having an under-the-radar career season

Nowhere else I'd want to be': Utah Jazz wing Joe Ingles agrees to ...

Jazz to bench Joe Ingles instead of Mike Conley, move Royce O ...

37 minutes ago, mike2sana said:

*Inserts Nuggets rainbow Jersey pic...*

At least they were able to keep that in one uniform set (both jerseys) and make that their main identity. The Jazz, even with alright looking unis, have been all over the place with different jerseys.

Yeah, as a Jazz fan, it irks me to no end how all-over-the-place their uniforms and colors are. Drives me crazy. The popularity of the redrock uniforms has been a branding pain in my opinion because they come across as a team without a true color scheme; yes, thier primary colors of course are navy, gold, and green, but redrock merch is everywhere here in Utah and is far more popular (and even that is followed on the popularity eye-test scale by purple throwback stuff over navy). Thus, when you include the primary, redrock, and throwback merchandise worn by fans or even just on the court, the Jazz looking like the whole rainbow really isn’t an exaggeration; that’s exactly what I see going to games and elsewhere. It’s a mess and I have no idea what the Jazz’s brand is really trying to be at this point. I also feel like the only fan in my friends group who sees that, and I feel like I’m taking crazy pills.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

7 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Yeah, as a Jazz fan, it irks me to no end how all-over-the-place their uniforms and colors are. Drives me crazy. The popularity of the redrock uniforms has been a branding pain in my opinion because they come across as a team without a true color scheme; yes, thier primary colors of course are navy, gold, and green, but redrock merch is everywhere here in Utah and is far more popular (and even that is followed on the popularity eye-test scale by purple throwback stuff over navy). Thus, when you include the primary, redrock, and throwback merchandise worn by fans or even just on the court, the Jazz looking like the whole rainbow really isn’t an exaggeration; that’s exactly what I see going to games and elsewhere. It’s a mess and I have no idea what the Jazz’s brand is really trying to be at this point. I also feel like the only fan in my friends group who sees that, and I feel like I’m taking crazy pills.

A merchandise revenue generation machine.

Let us never forget that the team president openly admitted the change from purple to blue in 2004 was because "blue just sells better." And here we are in 2020 with blue being forced to compete with purple and redyelloworange, and I can't remember the last time I saw someone wearing blue merch.

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

10 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I made a case (maybe in this thread?) that the Jazz should switch their whole identity to red rock, similar to how they moved to the purple mountains after it was an alt set.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 minute ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I made a case (maybe in this thread?) that the Jazz should switch their whole identity to red rock, similar to how they moved to the purple mountains after it was an alt set.

The purple mountain set wasn’t an alt; Was borrowed from an ASG

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

18 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The purple mountain set wasn’t an alt; Was borrowed from an ASG

Oh? My memory is wrong. What ASG was it borrowed from?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

14 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Oh? My memory is wrong. What ASG was it borrowed from?

The 1993 game (quite the unusual color palette too) 

7mi3t5ah4xfkcijvjl43jtho1.gif

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

13 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Yeah, as a Jazz fan, it irks me to no end how all-over-the-place their uniforms and colors are. Drives me crazy. The popularity of the redrock uniforms has been a branding pain in my opinion because they come across as a team without a true color scheme; yes, their primary colors of course are navy, gold, and green, but redrock merch is everywhere here in Utah and is far more popular (and even that is followed on the popularity eye-test scale by purple throwback stuff over navy). Thus, when you include the primary, redrock, and throwback merchandise worn by fans or even just on the court, the Jazz looking like the whole rainbow really isn’t an exaggeration; that’s exactly what I see going to games and elsewhere. It’s a mess and I have no idea what the Jazz’s brand is really trying to be at this point. I also feel like the only fan in my friends group who sees that, and I feel like I’m taking crazy pills.

Yeah, the Jazz's identity "crisis" is interesting to me. It really started in 1996 when they switched to the mountain logo. They were trying to distance themselves from the New Orleans identity after 17 years in Utah by going with something that was both UTAH and 'JAZZY' instead of playing off the music nickname. It was also economical as was the trend in the 90s with a number of long standing unchanging team logos. The recoloring in 2004 was all Reebok and what was hot (look at Orlando, Dallas, Atlanta, Memphis for examples). I didn't really mind the two blue look. I think it's more 'UTAH' than the original mountain look.

The other problem was going back to the note logo in 2010. I get it. Nostalgia was big, especially after LHM died who LOVED the note logo. But, I don't know if they should have gone back to it? I love it too. But, I'm just as happy with it being a throwback than something in the current identity. The look was a mess until 2016 when they finally dropped the mountain logo for good. But, with the current looks, I struggle a bit with the redrock and note logos because it's that UTAH vs. JAZZ NOTE fight again, the one they tried to get away from in 1996.

And, it's not a simple solution of renaming the team, because I don't see that ever happening with over 40 years here in Utah. So, I think this struggle will be a branding nightmare for a long time with the Jazz. It's either going to be all about UTAH, NOTE LOGO or some awkward forced marriage between the two? 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Archived