NBA Changes 2019-20

kimball

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, kimball said:

I still hate that the team retired a non-in play number for Coach Sloan. 

Jerry wore #4, Jazz already retired that number for Adrian Dantley. They could have done #1 for both Sloan and Layden maybe?

5 hours ago, Haz_Matt said:

Jerry wore #4, Jazz already retired that number for Adrian Dantley. They could have done #1 for both Sloan and Layden maybe?

I think they should have done like #23 for the years as coach or even #2. Something other than 1223. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

11 hours ago, pelicanfan said:

Wish they painted the border and key. Add some life to it. I was thinking either black since that's a neutral color or red and blue like the nba logo

Its likely they used the court template that was already in place at Disney for the complex and just added logo decals.

4 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

It appears that TNT did not learn it's lesson with the terrible shot clock and are now supposedly testing ads on the actual court. The digital team logos work for the current situation but the ads need to go. I hate it.

N1efvEZ.png

I’ll take a virtual team name and logo for the price of a virtual ad, seems like a fine trade off considering the situation.

Excellent!

On 7/25/2020 at 6:44 AM, Old School Fool said:

It appears that TNT did not learn it's lesson with the terrible shot clock and are now supposedly testing ads on the actual court. The digital team logos work for the current situation but the ads need to go. I hate it.

N1efvEZ.png

What's even more odd about this is TNT didn't broadcast this game live... It was the local affiliates and to my knowledge neither of them had the virtual logos or ads.

YVRMUBj.png

5 hours ago, Haz_Matt said:

The Jazz local/regional broadcast of their scrimmage against the Nets had the digital team name on the base line and small logos on a wing, no ads.

Hope every team starts using them when the regular season begins. Think that's why the NBA left the baseline plain and empty.
Here are some other teams i saw using digital team names:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Interesting brand placement here with the adidas logos on the screens, the New Balance logos superimposed on the floor, in a  league entirely sponsored by Nike. Are they doing individual team sponsors for whichever side’s baskets? Because it was a Rockets “home” game, and they have an adidas sponsorship, while the Celtics have a NB one

07Giants.pngnyy.png

6 hours ago, Berlin Wall said:

The Rockets have an Adidas sponsorship and the Celtics a New Balance one? How's that possible?

The Rockets have adidas logos on their stanchion for games (although I think they change it to Spalding for nationally televised ones). The Celtics training center is sponsored by New Balance and I always see a bunch of New Balance logos in the backdrop of their interviews. Don’t know how else this kind of relationship works other than brand visibility stuff

spacer.png

spacer.png

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Yep it looks like it's up to each broadcaster to deliver their own super-imposed ads; that game was being televised by NBC Sports Boston and they put on Celtics logos and team sponsors, though it was set up as a Rockets "home" game. This would be why the court was left so simple and minimalist, I suppose.

I guess adding some local flavor digitally will keep things visually interesting but the ads are a bummer. I get that there's a lot of lost revenue to make up.

Not sure of the ins and outs of the New Balance sponsorship except that yeah, they built the new Celtics' practice facility in Brighton on their campus, right next door to the Bruins one. They're significant sponsors of the Celtics, Bruins and Red Sox all, even if that means they can only provide shoes to the teams. But they're a big and historic Boston brand so it makes sense.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Archived