NBA Changes 2019-20

kimball

1 hour ago, Jay_Mellowed said:

They should make it their City (2nd Alternate) uniform. But for the love of everything, fix the Lakers’ set to be Yellow as the primary home & purple as the primary road again.

I feel the same way, but inside the bubble I’m fine the schedule since no one is truly playing at home or the road. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2020-nba-finals-uniforms-jerseys-lakers-

I sure hope LA sweeps. I'd hate to see the closing title moments in those absurd purple and black jerseys.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

On 9/30/2020 at 4:44 AM, Old School Fool said:

The Mamba uniform should probably become a permanent part of the Lakers uniform lineup. Just make it the Statement because the purple uniform sucks.

Black shouldn’t be anywhere in the Lakers uniforms, not as an alternate and definitely not on the purple uniform.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

4 minutes ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

Black shouldn’t be anywhere in the Lakers uniforms, not as an alternate and definitely not on the purple uniform.

Normally I would agree, but if they used the Mamba snake pattern in the black side panels, it'd be a nice tribute on the purple jerseys. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

People are nuts if they think the Cavs aren't the right uniform for LeBron. They're his hometown team, the team that drafted him and the team he led to victory in the most iconic Finals ever. Arguably his two most defining moments as a player (the block on Iguodala and the 2OT win against the Pistons) happened in a Cavs uniform. He'll probably become a part-owner of the Cavs too after he retires.

That's not the point though -- the point is what is the Cavs uniform. One of those moments happened in a black t-shirt with red and gold numbers and a giant logo on the front. The other (if I recall) happens in a navy shirt with red and white numbers. I guess we're lucky both feature the big 'C' logo, because they could've been even more different. In my mind, LeBron's Heat era is the modern classics, his LA era is the current variation on the classic golds (though they're perilously close to wrecking their brand too) -- but LeBron's Cleveland time was sartorially inconsistent and fell victim to the very dumbest dated trends at some points.

I'm not opposed to alternate jerseys, or rebrands in general (even radical ones), but I do think this points to the danger of watering down your own brand to the point of invisibility, particularly when you're in the midst of history.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

20 minutes ago, Digby said:

That's not the point though -- the point is what is the Cavs uniform. One of those moments happened in a black t-shirt with red and gold numbers and a giant logo on the front. The other (if I recall) happens in a navy shirt with red and white numbers. I guess we're lucky both feature the big 'C' logo, because they could've been even more different. In my mind, LeBron's Heat era is the modern classics, his LA era is the current variation on the classic golds (though they're perilously close to wrecking their brand too) -- but LeBron's Cleveland time was sartorially inconsistent and fell victim to the very dumbest dated trends at some points.

I'm not opposed to alternate jerseys, or rebrands in general (even radical ones), but I do think this points to the danger of watering down your own brand to the point of invisibility, particularly when you're in the midst of history.

I mean, that's kind of the history of the Cavs and LeBron. They maximized short-term gains while never thinking about the long term. And he left them twice as a result. They were spending all that time thinking of ways to sell jerseys instead of building a team around him.

For better or for worse, the Warriors built around that Copperplate brand and when you think of their run, you think of that uniform -- whether that's the basic style in blue, yellow or The Town gray.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The Cavs are LeBron's "right" team, but there are good points here about the strength of branding. The Cavs branding has been a mess since forever, but LeBron still had some iconic looks in Cleveland. Over his first 7 years, the team's uniforms were mostly consistent outside of throwbacks and fauxbacks that were among the precursors to the current NBA branding strategy. For the most part, we played in home whites, road wines, and those beautiful alt navy jerseys. 

By the time he came back, the team had shifted from the modern template to a traditional one, but the navy was still prominent while not working nearly as well. Then they added a black t-shirt jersey for no reason that, despite being part of a horrid trend and LeBron literally tearing his sleeves during a regular season game, will live forever after what happened in Games 5 and 7 (particularly 7 of course). After that it's just muck. The team keeps the navy but emphasizes black, while switching to modern, but downgraded, jerseys. 

The thing is, Miami and LA have also produced too many LeBron jerseys and muddled their look for the sake of short term money. The difference is that they already had established brands. The Lakers and Heat had established championship looks well before Bron, so the various alts don't dominate our associations with the team and his time there. If the Cavs were smart and stuck with the 03-10 look, this wouldn't be a discussion. I mean, the Warriors have created a number of terrible alts and used a bunch of non-Dubs colors for no good reason, but their branding worked because they stuck with it. We changed jerseys in the middle of our finals streak because Dan Gilbert, God bless his money that made 2016 possible, is a bad owner.

My opinion:

Lakers- Black Mamba jersey is acceptable for honoring Kobe in this run. Otherwise, I don't see the need to have black anywhere in the identity.

Miami- Keep the look as is and continue using Vice as an alt.

Cavs- Scrap the garbage we're working with now and tweak a previous superior look (like 03-10) for a lasting brand.

9 hours ago, truepg said:

I don't really associate LeBron with the Miami jersey at all, since it just didn't feel right or appropriate, like his stint with the Heat in general. And he had already established himself as the player he was prior to that.

This is THE LeBron jersey for me:

lebron-james-of-the-cleveland-cavaliers-

These as well

spacer.pngspacer.png

8 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

These as well

spacer.pngspacer.png

A ring can make any bad jersey tolerable by the home team. Even without a title, Durant made the OKC jerseys less annoying.

The Heat jerseys have been popular since the Wade days.  A title sealed the deal for them, but I loved the original drop-shadow ones, too.

2 hours ago, sayahh said:

A ring can make any bad jersey tolerable by the home team. Even without a title, Durant made the OKC jerseys less annoying.

The Heat jerseys have been popular since the Wade days.  A title sealed the deal for them, but I loved the original drop-shadow ones, too.

Well that’s because OKC’s jerseys were good, just the logo was bad

This is a very intriguing conversation about THE LeBron Jersey. I love the traditional wine and gold jerseys he wore from 2015-2017, it has the Classic feel that if they were wearing it in game 7, it would start to fit with the Celtics, Bulls class of clean & traditional looks.

spacer.pngspacer.png

What I would of loved to see is their current city uniforms being a foundation to their main set. Possibly simplifying the numbers (without the inline) and matching the typography of "Cle" with "Cavs". If LeBron wore this jersey as a full Navy, White & Wine/Red set, it would be the top selling jersey. The best Cavs jersey in their history.

spacer.png
spacer.png

Speaking strictly aesthetically, the 00s Cavaliers era was the worst of the LeBron years. Just messy, overdesigned garbage, as cornball-2000s as it gets (apart maybe from the forgotten Jazz set of that time). Cleveland's history of fauxback mashups has actually spun up a couple good ideas to stick with or tweak just a bit; it's fitting that those also get binned immediately.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

I just made a set of all 30 NBA team logos for the 2019-2020 season in one frame as shown in NBA TV's Game Time segment. https://www.deviantart.com/llu258/art/NBAGametime-856865380https://www.deviantart.com/llu258/art/NBAGametime-856865380

I don't think you can make the argument Cleveland is LeBron's one team when he won more (including his first) championships in Miami. I think he's going to be remembered as the most successful journeyman ever (especially because barring an upset, he's likely about to win another with LA)

1 hour ago, JLS said:

I just made a set of all 30 NBA team logos for the 2019-2020 season in one frame as shown in NBA TV's Game Time segment. https://www.deviantart.com/llu258/art/NBAGametime-856865380https://www.deviantart.com/llu258/art/NBAGametime-856865380

The colors for some of the blue teams are off, but otherwise pretty cool. 

The Pistons shouldn't be light blue, and Orlando and Dallas have the same color blue. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

5 hours ago, rayfuentesjr said:

What I would of loved to see is their current city uniforms being a foundation to their main set. Possibly simplifying the numbers (without the inline) and matching the typography of "Cle" with "Cavs". If LeBron wore this jersey as a full Navy, White & Wine/Red set, it would be the top selling jersey. The best Cavs jersey in their history.

spacer.png
spacer.png

You are not lying when you said these are the BEST jerseys the Cavs ever had in their history 

44 minutes ago, krayziegunts said:

You are not lying when you said these are the BEST jerseys the Cavs ever had in their history 

I'd put these into the discussion.

Lebron-Cavfanatic-Jersey.jpg

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

The 2015-17 Lebron era look is possible the best look for the Cavs. But I think they should’ve never left the original Lebron era look, that uniform was really good looking as well. 
Also, I think Lebron looked best and will be remembered most for the Big 3 in Miami. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

On 10/1/2020 at 9:58 AM, _DietDrPepper_ said:

just gonna go out and say that black shouldn’t be on the purple jerseys, but I’m 1000% us fans in LA would love it if they brought back the Hollywood Nights uniform. It’s a great look for us and pleasing to the eye on our court.. 

1 hour ago, d11king said:

just gonna go out and say that black shouldn’t be on the purple jerseys, but I’m 1000% us fans in LA would love it if they brought back the Hollywood Nights uniform. It’s a great look for us and pleasing to the eye on our court.. 

Nah, I prefer Mamba ones over Hollywood Nights ones, but 1000% agree with removing black from the purple jerseys. 

Archived