NBA Changes 2019-20

kimball

I’m hoping for LA in 4 or 5 now so that we don’t see them win the title in white or black. Would just be weird.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

The 2015-17 Lebron era look is possible the best look for the Cavs. But I think they should’ve never left the original Lebron era look, that uniform was really good looking as well. 
Also, I think Lebron looked best and will be remembered most for the Big 3 in Miami. 

2015-2017 was a great look, but I like what they have now, too.  I think their current uniforms have a bit more of an "edge" and just feel more "energetic."

I think the original Lebron look would look dated by now.  That look debuted 17 years ago.  It wasn't a bad look, but it would feel outdated by now.  They have a very 2000's feel.

I actually think their main uniforms look great now.  There is not much, if anything, that I would change.  (I am not counting any ridiculous 4th, 5th, or 6th jerseys that they might have as I try to ignore those for all teams and pretend they don't exist, because they shouldn't.)

All the cavs would have to do with the original Lebron uniforms is update the fonts, and they'd still look spectacular. They wouldn’t look dated because it’s a very classic template still. The current uniforms look like modern trash and are already dated. They should be thrown in a dumpster fire with the rest of the current team.

It's not just the font (although that certainly would look outdated), it's also the gaudy/shiny side panels and the excessive striping.  Again, that looked fine then, but I think their current look strikes a better balance between too simple and too excessive.

5 hours ago, Lights Out said:

I guess I'm alone in thinking the Cavs' current uniforms are the best they've looked since the first LeBron era. My only major issue with them is the boring color scheme. I've always wanted them to use brown and orange like the Browns - a nice color scheme and unique in the NBA.

Wine and Gold are Cavs colors. I’m disappointed in the fonts and crests. The recent Cavs loGos and word marks were much better. 

7 hours ago, SCalderwood said:

It's not just the font (although that certainly would look outdated), it's also the gaudy/shiny side panels and the excessive striping.  Again, that looked fine then, but I think their current look strikes a better balance between too simple and too excessive.

Can't say I agree. While you could argue the 03-10 set had "excessive striping," it wasn't a clownsuit by any means and could be easily tweaked for the modern template.  And while normally I am not a fan of shiny fabric, especially for a basketball jersey, those side panels were the exception that proved the rule. Though normally gaudy, by limiting it to the panels they gives a glimpse of real metallic gold or a King's satin, which to me feels like a classy touch rather than a trash bag a la the Wizards or Mavs from those days. Still much prefer these workdmarks to anything else they've done too.

lbj-oral-history-lede2.jpg?w=1024

LeBron-James-Cavs-2007.jpg

Disregarding their uniform history I think honestly the cavaliers currently have some pretty nice uniforms. I dig the font it's sharp, it's "cavalier-y" and the 3D shading on the wordmark is cool too. The collar is especially cool. And I personally prefer the yellow gold rather than the dust gold I think it compliments the maroon much better. Or the wine as people call it.

But yea I'm probably one of few who think this 

IMG-7122.gif

28 minutes ago, pelicanfan said:

Disregarding their uniform history I honestly the cavaliers currently have some pretty nice uniforms. I dig the font it's sharp, it's "cavalier-y" and the 3D shading on the wordmark is cool too. The collar is especially cool. And I personally prefer the yellow gold rather than the dust gold I think it compliments the maroon much better. Or the wine as people call it.

I find the current look bland, but I do love the classic wine and gold and the collars are the first element I'd keep in a re-design.

2 hours ago, pelicanfan said:

Disregarding their uniform history I think honestly the cavaliers currently have some pretty nice uniforms. I dig the font it's sharp, it's "cavalier-y" and the 3D shading on the wordmark is cool too. The collar is especially cool. And I personally prefer the yellow gold rather than the dust gold I think it compliments the maroon much better. Or the wine as people call it.

I agree about the font, it seems to work for them.  And I didn't even think about the yellow gold - yes that is a better complement than the dust gold, especially with their current look.  It really pops.

1 hour ago, CitizenTino said:

The numbers in the current Cavs font are horrendous, and making them navy on the wine uniforms has caused them to be almost illegible on TV. And they know it because they made the stroke around the numbers thicker after the first season. (It didn’t help much.)

Yes, this is one change I do think they should make.  The navy numbers on the wine uniforms look pretty bad.  I guess make them yellow?  I like the number font though, I don't think that needs to change.

3 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

Can't say I agree. While you could argue the 03-10 set had "excessive striping," it wasn't a clownsuit by any means and could be easily tweaked for the modern template.  And while normally I am not a fan of shiny fabric, especially for a basketball jersey, those side panels were the exception that proved the rule. Though normally gaudy, by limiting it to the panels they gives a glimpse of real metallic gold or a King's satin, which to me feels like a classy touch rather than a trash bag a la the Wizards or Mavs from those days. Still much prefer these workdmarks to anything else they've done too.

I'm not knocking those 03-10 uniforms at all.  I thought they were beautiful at the time, and I still do.  But they just have a very 2000s feel to them.  That's not a bad thing, but I would not want to see them still wearing them today.  The wordmark is probably the part that looks the most outdated to me and the shiny fabric side panels looked fine at the time, but I think the time for shiny fabric has come and gone.  There were a lot of teams that wore shiny fabric back then; if any teams wear it these days, I'm not aware of it, but I also don't watch as much NBA as I used to.  I think it would look very out of place in today's NBA, but feel free to correct me if there are teams who still wear it, because I honestly don't know.  Their current look just seems to be a much better fit with the overall style of what the NBA looks like in 2020.

That distinctive 03-10 look will always be associated with the "Lebron 1.0" era, and was a special time in the team's history.  I think it's appropriate to let those jerseys sort of be "owned" by that era in the team's history.

I understand the reasons people don’t like alternate jerseys in the finals. However, I’m cool with letting  teams wear alternate jerseys in the first three games, and then in the last four they should wear their regular jerseys. At least when done that way there’s a guarantee the winner will be in a regular jersey.

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

14 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

lbj-oral-history-lede2.jpg?w=1024

LeBron-James-Cavs-2007.jpg

Preach. A modern classic and would work just as well today, even down to the narrow shoulder cut. The fonts, the striping, the shiny fabric on the sides - all work for the Cavaliers.

The fonts on the current uniforms are messed up, as I've said before, fitting more a Gladiator or a Spartan feel, and are just meh all in all. Still ways better than what they had in 10-17, though.

16 hours ago, jacobrgroman said:

wanted to see the heat wear their gorgeous vice blue jerseys at least once but knew that wasn't going to happen.

Aside from whether those jerseys look good or not, they are not Heat colors and should not be worn in the Finals, at all.  If they end up adopting those colors fulltime, and blue becomes an official team color, then fine.  But they should not be wearing blue jerseys in the Finals if blue is not a team color.

Also, as a sidenote, I think it is kind of funny and sad at the same time that people are hoping for the series to end after a certain number of games just so that we can avoid seeing the championship team win in certain jerseys.  This just shows how far the NBA has fallen in terms of its uniform sh!tshow.

It’s hard to compare directly because even just the base construction of jerseys have changed so much in 15 years — you could imagine that a version of those jerseys that stuck around would still have evolved, probably away from shiny fabric for one.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

8 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

It pains me to think that if the Lakers win the championship on Friday, they’ll do so wearing these:

spacer.png

I’d rather them win in this than the white jersey for a game 6. Game 7 mamba jerseys would be ideal, but that seems really unlikely now. Best case scenario was a sweep and a win in gold, but purple is the second best option I think.

Also have the Lakers forgot about this jersey? Its like it wasn’t even packed for the bubble.

spacer.png

Excellent!

34 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

It pains me to think that if the Lakers win the championship on Friday, they’ll do so wearing these:

spacer.png

This isn't a bad jersey. I don't get the hate for it from a design point of view. Visually it's fine. Sure, the black side panels are 100% BFBS and it's a departure from tradition. That I do get coming from a storied franchise. But, it's more stupid than a horribly ugly design.

Now, if you want to talk about TRULY ugly championship winning moments, LeBron has looked worse. Much worse.

LeBron-James-Ezra-Shaw-Getty-Images-3.jp

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Archived