NBA Changes 2019-20

kimball

Eh, a BFBS alt from a team that's constantly changing it's identity "is what it is." The Lakers wrecking their gorgeous purples is a worse sin IMO, though I'd agree they aren't that far from being a really good jersey. Don't really care what the Lakers finish the series in personally, though I guess a traditional color would be best. Just hoping it wraps in Game 5 cause I'm rooting for LeBron.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, kimball said:

This isn't a bad jersey. I don't get the hate for it from a design point of view. Visually it's fine. Sure, the black side panels are 100% BFBS and it's a departure from tradition. That I do get coming from a storied franchise. But, it's more stupid than a horribly ugly design.

Now, if you want to talk about TRULY ugly championship winning moments, LeBron has looked worse. Much worse.

LeBron-James-Ezra-Shaw-Getty-Images-3.jp

Oh I agree, if the Lakers win in the purple uniforms on Friday, it won’t be nearly as offensive as the Cavs winning in those sleeved monstrosities. And I also don’t think their purple uniforms are that bad in a vacuum, but as you say the black side panels are BFBS and a fairly significant departure from tradition. Even if they’re not a horribly ugly design on their own, they’re vastly inferior to what the Lakers’ purple uniforms should look like:

spacer.png

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

I said this earlier, too, but it's really strange how much more attractive the white numbers are than the current yellow numbers. Even though they don't match the wordmark, that's somehow both charming and visually attractive!

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

The Cavs chased selling as many alternates as possible when LeBron was there, especially the first time around. It's not at all shocking they did one more uniform refresh his final year, and speaks to how craven Nike is that this exists:

Q7092912087_007_PHSFH001_2000.png

Has anyone counted how many total official NBA jerseys LeBron has worn? It's in the dozens; I'm just curious how many dozens. Maybe 30ish? Even 40ish?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

Oh I agree, if the Lakers win in the purple uniforms on Friday, it won’t be nearly as offensive as the Cavs winning in those sleeved monstrosities. And I also don’t think their purple uniforms are that bad in a vacuum, but as you say the black side panels are BFBS and a fairly significant departure from tradition. Even if they’re not a horribly ugly design on their own, they’re vastly inferior to what the Lakers’ purple uniforms should look like:

spacer.png

As far as I'm concerned the style on the right is the "Kobe collar". It shouldn't work but somehow it just fits for me

2 hours ago, upperV03 said:

spacer.png

It seems like the Lakers wanted to avoid a yellow side panel. On the Sunday whites(during the Kobe era) the stripe was gold, but now it's purple. They must've added the black panel to avoid showing how banana-yellow their "gold" really is

Just now, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

It seems like the Lakers wanted to avoid a yellow side panel. On the Sunday whites(during the Kobe era) the stripe was gold, but now it's purple. They must've added the black panel to avoid showing how banana-yellow their "gold" really is

spacer.pngspacer.png

2 hours ago, Ben in LA said:

Hope they don’t jinx them...

I was wondering if they were going to do this.  I'm really excited that they've decided to ask the league to make this happen!!!

I think the "do it for Kobe" has been laid on a little thick, but that's also part of the deal when you play for the Lakers; even if you're LeBron you're in the shadow of Magic and Kareem and Shaq and West and Kobe.

That said, I'm so glad they're avoiding the awful purple/black set in favor of something that means more to everyone involved. The greatest NBA title win of all time may happen in the greatest NBA alternate uniform of all time.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, sayahh said:

I was wondering if they were going to do this.  I'm really excited that they've decided to ask the league Nike to make this happen!!!

FTFY

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

I'm gonna say this and let the cat out of the bag. The Black Mamba unis are not bad per se, even though I liked the "Hollywood Nights" alternate a lot better, but they don't represent the Lakers nor Kobe very much to me. He hardly ever played in a black uniform and isn't associated with one. Those unis don't say "Kobe" to me at all.

What is more symbolizing of Kobe than wearing and winning in purple and gold? You could do so wearing a Kobe patch.

39 minutes ago, truepg said:

I'm gonna say this and let the cat out of the bag. The Black Mamba unis are not bad per se, even though I liked the "Hollywood Nights" alternate a lot better, but they don't represent the Lakers nor Kobe very much to me. He hardly ever played in a black uniform and isn't associated with one. Those unis don't say "Kobe" to me at all.

What is more symbolizing of Kobe than wearing and winning in purple and gold? You could do so wearing a Kobe patch.

Kobe designed the uniform.

bSLCtu2.png

36 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

Kobe designed the uniform.

Maybe he influenced the design process, but I'm sure he didn't design it, just like Jay-Z didn't design the Nets' unis or P. Diddy the green Mavs' alternates at the time.

Archived