NBA Changes 2019-20

kimball

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's dispense with the notion that anything about Clay Bennett moving the Sonics to OKC was "last-minute," shall we?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

1.  The red Sixers jerseys are terrible and if they're gone then good riddance.

2.  Is the new one navy... or royal?  Looks kinda dark.

3.  I'd much rather it say Phila than Philadelphia.  Just too long, and the Phila scrips from a couple of seasons ago were just go well done.

4.  The Sixers have IMO the best overall set of uniforms in the league... but that's kind of a problem.  The primary block PHILA uniforms are almost perfect.  That should be their main/primary look - it's just that good.  HOwever, their stars jerseys are really well done too - both the gray and the white ones.  The Phila/Philadelphia ones look really great too.  

They have 3 great looks... which means they don't have one.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

1.  The red Sixers jerseys are terrible and if they're gone then good riddance.

2.  Is the new one navy... or royal?  Looks kinda dark.

3.  I'd much rather it say Phila than Philadelphia.  Just too long, and the Phila scrips from a couple of seasons ago were just go well done.

4.  The Sixers have IMO the best overall set of uniforms in the league... but that's kind of a problem.  The primary block PHILA uniforms are almost perfect.  That should be their main/primary look - it's just that good.  HOwever, their stars jerseys are really well done too - both the gray and the white ones.  The Phila/Philadelphia ones look really great too.  

They have 3 great looks... which means they don't have one.  

1. Not so fast

2. Navy

3. You might just see that wordmark again soon :wink2:

Leak: New Philadelphia 76ers Navy Blue Uniform for 2020

July 15, 2019 - 14:57 PM

Anyone out there know a good plumber? The NBA could use one. Fast. There’s been yet another leak out of the association, this time it’s the Philadelphia 76ers who had one of their new looks for the 2019-20 season posted […]

Read More...

55 minutes ago, CitizenTino said:

Is that stripe down the side of the Sixers uniform gold to simulate the Liberty Bell crack or snakeskin to go with that segmented snake “Phila Unite” secondary logo?

It looks like the Liberty Bell crack. And, the fact the bell is on the shorts along with the crack being gold ... I'm 99.9% sure that's the "Nike narrative."

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

12 hours ago, Conrad. said:

1. Not so fast

2. Navy

3. You might just see that wordmark again soon :wink2:

Red Phila Jersey? 

11 hours ago, Quillz said:

I figure "Phila" is probably the "proper" abbreviation, but I've always wondered why they don't go with "Philly" given that seems to be much more common.

Because Philly is a nick name. You wouldn’t put Cincy on a Reds uniform. Phila is an “official” abbreviation, and one that is used all the time when giving addresses “Phila, PA 19###”. Plus there’s historical context. I love it on their unis. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

17 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

You wouldn’t put Cincy on a Reds uniform. Phila is an “official” abbreviation, and one that is used all the time when giving addresses “Phila, PA 19###”. Plus there’s historical context. I love it on their unis. 

Buzz, Motor, and Rip City would like a word..

5 hours ago, dont care said:

Because that’s one of their colors... they’ve had red, cream and white alts, blue seems like the next logical step.

Navy blue is a Sixers color?

-----------------------------------

Also...apparently this is not a statement jersey...with the crack on the shorts (which sounds awful) I'm guessing it's the new City jersey.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 7/13/2019 at 2:15 PM, habsfan1 said:

I still don't get the appeal of this horrible clipart filler.

But if the team's still using it, enough customers must be buying the merch. If the merch is being bought, someone must think this logo is worth spending money on.

The only part where I cannot connect the dots together is the fact that I've never heard anyone say anything positive about the logo. If someone has anything nice to say about the logo, I respect opinions that are different from mine. But I really would love to know why some people think this logo is great and why there's never been a need to change it since it's inception 11-ish years ago.

After all, this logo survived for an entire decade and will probably survive the next one too.

A city was gifted their first ever major pro franchise, and it happened to be a team that was on it's way to being a championship contender, so I don't think merch sales were going to be an issue. It really didn't matter what they went with for the first logo. Fans will always be nostalgic for a team's inaugural logo, but I'm sure people in OKC wouldn't mind a change.

As others have mentioned, the colour scheme is fine, and I have no issues with the uniform design, so the change doesn't need to be too drastic. They already have a bison mascot, so I've always thought that should be the focal point of a logo. Sean McCarthy did an excellent concept:

spacer.png

Archived