NBA Changes 2019-20

kimball

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Wondering why they switched to the Futura Condensed Bold font for the City unis instead of sticking with normal font. 

Futura Condensed Bold is a cool font...just an odd change. 

1 hour ago, Antonio Reloaded said:

I believe it's the font used on the Oklahoma City Memorial

Yeah, looks like it's consistent with the memorial.

gates-of-time.jpg

IMG_0046-e1505167606311.jpg?fit=1080,796

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, ScubaSteve said:

the idea of teams digging into a city's tragedies for future ideas just doesn't sit right with me

Yeah I'd have to admit I don't like the idea of the Knicks potentially doing a 9/11 memorial jersey in 2026, and yet I can totally see Nike pushing them in that direction.

YVRMUBj.png

8 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Yeah I'd have to admit I don't like the idea of the Knicks potentially doing a 9/11 memorial jersey in 2026, and yet I can totally see Nike pushing them in that direction.

Did they kind of not with the Knicks' first City Jersey? Not as blatant as the OKC jerseys, but I got that vibe.

Also, side note: Chicago Fire, Atlanta Flames and the San Jose Earthquakes to an extent are all named after somewhat specific tragedies. Maybe it's the passing of time that makes this "okay?"

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

36 minutes ago, ScubaSteve said:

I feel really weird about OKC's memorial jersey. I think taking the time to remember these things is great, but the idea of teams digging into a city's tragedies for future ideas just doesn't sit right with me

I tend to agree with this. I feel like a simple memorial patch would have gone a lot further. Can you imagine a Hurricane Katrina uniform for New Orleans? It makes me  feel a little sick that we are to a point where we are willing to openly brand and monetize the tragic deaths of others. If they auctioned off the uniforms and donated the money to the families then it would feel a little better at least. Just my two cents 🤷‍♂️

This feels really gross to me. A tasteful tribute as a note that the team is thinking about the victims is one thing. To run out in what amounts to dressing up like a memorial feels tacky to me, and knowing that they're doing it because it fits nicely into the whole "City" scheme makes it that much worse. This is dangerously close to the basketball uniform version of:

a99815_11-marriot-mini-muffins-9-11.w710

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

9 minutes ago, kimball said:

Did they kind of not with the Knicks' first City Jersey? Not as blatant as the OKC jerseys, but I got that vibe.

Also, side note: Chicago Fire, Atlanta Flames and the San Jose Earthquakes to an extent are all named after somewhat specific tragedies. Maybe it's the passing of time that makes this "okay?"

I get the feeling that the unintentional natural disasters, like the earthquakes, and the less, ig sinister? Acts of arsen are just not as bad as an intentional bombing with the intent to kill. Reason why there’s not big four team names the bombers

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

The side panels of the Thunder OKC Memorial uni looks like the chairs at the Memorial site. spacer.png

spacer.png

For those who don't know, the chairs represent each victim. I'm OKC born and bred and felt the blast at the beginning of my second period English class in 7th grade. My classmate's father died in the blast. I was there when she was told which building blew up. Will never forget that.

I know OKC isn't a destination for most of you, but if you all ever happen to get here, you should go through the Memorial museum and the memorial itself. They did an excellent job with it. 

5 minutes ago, Rixaroo said:

The side panels of the Thunder OKC Memorial uni looks like the chairs at the Memorial site. spacer.png

spacer.png

For those who don't know, the chairs represent each victim. I'm OKC born and bred and felt the blast at the beginning of my second period English class in 7th grade. My classmate's father died in the blast. I was there when she was told which building blew up. Will never forget that.

I know OKC isn't a destination for most of you, but if you all ever happen to get here, you should go through the Memorial museum and the memorial itself. They did an excellent job with it. 

I must ask then, what do you think of the memorial jerseys?

kimball banner.png

28 minutes ago, kimball said:

I would have to go back and look at what they were saying when they released the jersey but as I recall it was just a tribute to NYC firefighters and not necessarily fallen firefighters.

YVRMUBj.png

Did the ad patch get bigger? I’ve always suspected that they may increase the size by a mm every year in hopes that nobody notices by the time they’re as big as frisbees. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

With Thunder moving to the blue uniform and Oklahoma City moving to the white uniform, is it safe to assume they plan on wearing blue at home more often than white now?  I'm just basing this off of teams usually having their city name on their away uniform (more so in baseball, but still)  

That was my first thought. I wouldn't doubt if we barley see the whites this year.

6 minutes ago, kimball said:

I must ask then, what do you think of the memorial jerseys?

The Thunder is the culmination of several events that really started with the Bombing. Downtown OKC was a cow town dump in 1995. Since then, the city has passed 3 major bills which has overhauled downtown through sales tax and continues to this day. Getting an NBA franchise just 13 years after the Bombing was a miracle and may not have happened without the tragedy, believe it or not. 

The major owner, Clay Bennett, was born in OKC and is an Oklahoma staple. The franchise takes each new player drafted or signed through the OKC Memorial and museum so they experience what the tragedy means to OKC. 

I believe that the vast majority of locals know the team wouldn't do something like this without good intentions. Plus the Memorial organization was evidently consulted throughout the design process. 

I absolutely love them. I know people say it’s “polishing a turd” but really the design is generally the same as many other jerseys. But something about these ones just stick out and look so good. The whites look so much more bold and the blues look so much more sleek and smooth. Not a huge fan of the orange it seems more of a “in your face” type jersey but it looks nice and I’m glad they used the lighter blue instead of navy. 

IMG-7122.gif

Firstly, this quote from the press release is hilarious. “Refreshing our uniform lineup allows us to put a new twist on the classic Thunder image,” Oklahoma City Thunder Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing, Brian Byrnes said in the press release. “These updates keep us true to our roots."

Classic? What? You've been around for 11 years. Classic? True to your roots? I see no SuperSonics references here.

Secondly, I feel a bit weird with a uniform entirely dedicated to a terrorist attack, especially one with a giant Love's truck stop ad on the front. Honor the victims, the memorial, the anniversary sure, but it could just as easily been done with a tasteful memorial patch. Could you imagine in the Knicks/Nets or any NYC team put out a full 9/11 jersey? C'mon.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived