NBA Changes 2019-20

kimball

I was affraid of this changes, but they look ok, but even that I think it's completly unnecessary. Home and Away uniforms looks like old one except now you've got half of stripes. I like that they replaced light blue with orange on Icon wordmark and numbers.

4r2eer.png

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, projectjohn said:

Pistons confirmed on Twitter they will still have the dreadful gray “Chrome” jersey as their statement jersey.

Heres to hoping the city jersey will be red, which it most likely won't be...

2 hours ago, projectjohn said:

Pistons confirmed on Twitter they will still have the dreadful gray “Chrome” jersey as their statement jersey.

Why is it that the Pistons have such a bland identity with an overused color scheme, yet can't even use said color scheme correctly? Give us a red jersey already!

the user formerly known as cdclt

3 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

It was set on a concentric arc to the “Oklahoma” lettering. It’s tough to tell because the word is so short, but you can definitely see the letters are rotated at different angles relative to one another.

This is totally blowing my mind! 🤯

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

43 minutes ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

Why is it that the Pistons have such a bland identity with an overused color scheme...

They're the Pistons. They should be red, white, and blue. 

I know championing bad 90s looks is in, but no. Screw the teal. 

Just now, Ice_Cap said:

They're the Pistons. They should be red, white, and blue. 

I know championing bad 90s looks is in, but no. Screw the teal. 

I know it's nostalgic, but that doesn't mean it's good. Red/white/blue is everywhere, and I never mentioned the teal at all. I agree that it's an awful look for a historic franchise, but I think something else could work. They insist on shoving gray down our throats, so why not embrace it? Blue and gray, something unique, something they use a lot of anyway. 

3 hours ago, projectjohn said:

Is this really a confirmation? I swear I’ve seen teams who are getting new statements sell jerseys of newcomers? @Conrad. anything you can divulge?

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Just now, QueenCitySwarm said:

I know it's nostalgic, but that doesn't mean it's good. Red/white/blue is everywhere

Because it's a solid colour scheme. 

It's not just nostalgic. It's associated with success. The Pistons' two championship eras were in red, white, and blue with a teal-coloured turd in between. 

2 minutes ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

They insist on shoving gray down our throats, so why not embrace it? Blue and gray, something unique, something they use a lot of anyway. 

Why though? Given the uniforms associated with every title they have? Given the importance the Bad Boys play in NBA history? Why should the Pistons abandon that look to be the Discount Timberwolves?

1 minute ago, Ice_Cap said:

Because it's a solid colour scheme. 

It's not just nostalgic. It's associated with success. The Pistons' two championship eras were in red, white, and blue with a teal-coloured turd in between. 

Why though? Given the uniforms associated with every title they have? Given the importance the Bad Boys play in NBA history? Why should the Pistons abandon that look to be the Discount Timberwolves?

Very true. I suppose ignoring the history of this franchise wouldn't be a great idea, despite my personal opinions on using a red/white/blue color scheme. While I'd like it (if only to mix it up), it clearly doesn't fit with the franchise's history.

Given that the "Motor City" jerseys only used blue and gray last year (I think), they may be keeping with that scheme for alternates. I feel like if the Pistons are going to use such a great color scheme, they need to utilize it well, and that means a red jersey.

(Side note: the Pistons seem to really enjoy tinkering with their look, obviously with the 90s teal, but the '79-'81 uniforms are something else, even though they were accompanied by a classic logo!)

9 minutes ago, kimball said:

Is this really a confirmation? I swear I’ve seen teams who are getting new statements sell jerseys of newcomers? @Conrad. anything you can divulge?

Unfortunately on this occasion, it is indeed a (unofficial?) confirmation. 😞

Also, do the Pistons not have a designer on their staff? That image of the DRose uni looks awful, lol

45 minutes ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

I know it's nostalgic, but that doesn't mean it's good. Red/white/blue is everywhere, and I never mentioned the teal at all. I agree that it's an awful look for a historic franchise, but I think something else could work.

The Pistons have been RWB essentially their entire history (and are one of the oldest franchises). I don’t think it’s a good reason for them to change just because other teams also use that color scheme.

2 hours ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

Why is it that the Pistons have such a bland identity with an overused color scheme, yet can't even use said color scheme correctly? Give us a red jersey already!

Agreed. Everyone and their mothers here love the red and blue so why not a red jersey? It would be ideal to me. Add some hints of blue to satisfy the old heads and I think it’ll look much better than grey. 

IMG-7122.gif

The Pistons don’t need any big gimmicks. They’re the no-nonsense, beat the **** out of you Pistons. Royal and red, done differently from the Sixers, is all they need. Grey and red are fine for alternates (or maybe a lightning bolt set-inspired alternate), but they shouldn’t be the primary.

Besides, the Grant Hill/“best player who is never on the court” - era set is painfully dated. 

4 hours ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

Very true. I suppose ignoring the history of this franchise wouldn't be a great idea, despite my personal opinions on using a red/white/blue color scheme. While I'd like it (if only to mix it up), it clearly doesn't fit with the franchise's history.

The trouble with red, white, and blue being too common is that most teams that use it are older. Which is why it's so prevalent. It's probably one of, if not the, most aesthetically pleasing and balanced colour schemes in the world. So team after team back in the day ran with it, because it was both so simple and so good. Who cares if half the league has it? It's the 1950s and marketing/merchandising doesn't exist in any meaningful way. A team didn't need to worry about how their "brand" fit in with everyone else. They just had to look good, and so defaulting to red, white, and blue was easy.

The result is that most teams with red, white, and blue colour schemes have had it for a long time, and as common as it is? It's ingrained in their individual identities. Sure, replacing the Red Sox's navy with dark forest green or the Pistons' red with silver/grey works in a vacuum but it doesn't work once you take in these teams' histories into account. The vast majority of red, white, and blue teams should probably stay red, white, and blue simply because the colour scheme is an intrinsic part of their historic identities.

I actually looked back and realized that there are only two "modern" expansion teams across the Big Four (MLS is an exception because the entire league is modern) that use straight up red, white, and blue. The NHL's Columbus Blue Jackets and the NFL's Houston Texans. Both of whom use it because it's thematically appropriate (Civil War Union soldiers, the Texas state flag). Aside from those two? No expansion team in the Big Four since 1980 has used a straight red, white, and blue scheme.

The only cases where modern teams have adopted red, white, and blue have caveats. The Atlanta Thrashers became the Winnipeg Jets, but decided to forego the original Jets' red, white, and blue scheme for a version that emphasized double blue and silver, with the only red being the maple leaves in the logos.

The New Orleans Hornets became the New Orleans Pelicans and adopted a red, white, and blue (navy) scheme, but added gold as well a green, gold, and purple Mardi Gras  uniforms.

So yeah. The VAST majority of teams using red, white, and blue adopted the colour scheme before branding, marketing, and merchandising was a concern. It was an easy and pleasing colour scheme to default to in the formative years of pro sports.

As a result? Teams that use red, white, and blue have deep historical connections to the scheme and probably shouldn't be abandoning it to chase modern trends. The teams that do (the Pistons, as an example) revert once they comes to their senses.

The other bit that makes navy/red or royal/red so popular is that those shades are incredibly easy for textile makers to match and are appealing to fans. The same goes for neutrals.

I would have loved it if a bunch of MLB teams in the '60s followed Charlie O's lead with the A's and diversified their color schemes (I have a whole series with that in mind), but since that didn't happen, I'm good with these historical looks. The teams look different enough so that it's not an issue. The same applies for the NBA, NFL, and NHL.

While the Pistons have been fairly terrible since the mid-2000s, this shouldn't diminish the look they wore for their multiple dynasties. Look at how silly Joe Dumars and Ben Wallace look in teal:

dumarsjpg-cfabbb81da57eb09.jpgDZ4NYhsXcAAsyxM.jpg

Archived