kimball

NBA Changes 2019-20

59 minutes ago, Shadojoker said:

Right.

Usually by now the mothership has a HUGE 2 part article about all the fixins for the new season..

R.I.P. to our plug 🤫🤫🤫 who can't say much nowadays.

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a mothership NBA preview in July. 

36 minutes ago, CitizenTino said:

@Conrad.

1. New statement uni for the Cavs this year? And if so, still black?

2. Are the Cavs doing anything with their city uniform or a possible throwback that ties in with the 25th anniversary of their move back into downtown Cleveland with the opening of the Gund/Q/Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse?

The one thing I'd love from the Cavs is a gold jersey again. Just like the Pistons in red, the Cavs should be in gold.

21 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

The trouble with red, white, and blue being too common is that most teams that use it are older. Which is why it's so prevalent. It's probably one of, if not the, most aesthetically pleasing and balanced colour schemes in the world. So team after team back in the day ran with it, because it was both so simple and so good. Who cares if half the league has it? It's the 1950s and marketing/merchandising doesn't exist in any meaningful way. A team didn't need to worry about how their "brand" fit in with everyone else. They just had to look good, and so defaulting to red, white, and blue was easy.

The result is that most teams with red, white, and blue colour schemes have had it for a long time, and as common as it is? It's ingrained in their individual identities. Sure, replacing the Red Sox's navy with dark forest green or the Pistons' red with silver/grey works in a vacuum but it doesn't work once you take in these teams' histories into account. The vast majority of red, white, and blue teams should probably stay red, white, and blue simply because the colour scheme is an intrinsic part of their historic identities.

I actually looked back and realized that there are only two "modern" expansion teams across the Big Four (MLS is an exception because the entire league is modern) that use straight up red, white, and blue. The NHL's Columbus Blue Jackets and the NFL's Houston Texans. Both of whom use it because it's thematically appropriate (Civil War Union soldiers, the Texas state flag). Aside from those two? No expansion team in the Big Four since 1980 has used a straight red, white, and blue scheme.

The only cases where modern teams have adopted red, white, and blue have caveats. The Atlanta Thrashers became the Winnipeg Jets, but decided to forego the original Jets' red, white, and blue scheme for a version that emphasized double blue and silver, with the only red being the maple leaves in the logos.

The New Orleans Hornets became the New Orleans Pelicans and adopted a red, white, and blue (navy) scheme, but added gold as well a green, gold, and purple Mardi Gras  uniforms.

So yeah. The VAST majority of teams using red, white, and blue adopted the colour scheme before branding, marketing, and merchandising was a concern. It was an easy and pleasing colour scheme to default to in the formative years of pro sports.

As a result? Teams that use red, white, and blue have deep historical connections to the scheme and probably shouldn't be abandoning it to chase modern trends. The teams that do (the Pistons, as an example) revert once they comes to their senses.

Excellently put. Thinking back, the Pistons in teal is obviously wrong, and blue/gray or whatever may look good in a vacuum, but these teams do have history to stick to. I just hope the Pistons can do something good with their other alts, since the "chrome" statement is awful and basically anything with "Motor City" on it has been garbage as well.

Thanks for answer @Conrad.. :)

9 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

spacer.png

Greatest Mustache Of All Time, no doubt. Although Larry Bird mustache may want to say something about that, but we all know which ones are the best. I can actually imagine a jersey with Morrison motive.

5 hours ago, pepis21 said:

Thanks for answer @Conrad.. :)

Greatest Mustache Of All Time, no doubt. Although Larry Bird mustache may want to say something about that, but we all know which ones are the best. I can actually imagine a jersey with Morrison motive.

He's also a 2-time NBA champion 😉

14 hours ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

Excellently put.

Thanks. It actually wasn't something I realized until this discussion, so thanks for the back and forth!

Basically, only two new teams since 1980 have adopted a straight up red, white, and blue identity (Blue Jackets and Texans). And those teams had thematic reasons to do so. Any other modern changes to red, white, and blue have been because teams have returned to their older, more traditional colour schemes (Capitals, Wizards, Pistons, 76ers).

All in all? Newer teams seem to understand that a lot of traditional teams have red, white, and blue, and have gone with more unique colour schemes. So I really don't think the "over-use" of red, white, and blue is a problem, really. It's used by a lot of older teams, as a remnant of a time when branding wasn't really a concern. Newer teams are, by and large, forging their own paths. Which is a very good thing. The teal Pistons identity would have been much better had the Pistons been a 90s expansion team.

14 hours ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

Thinking back, the Pistons in teal is obviously wrong, and blue/gray or whatever may look good in a vacuum, but these teams do have history to stick to. I just hope the Pistons can do something good with their other alts, since the "chrome" statement is awful and basically anything with "Motor City" on it has been garbage as well. 

I hate any uniform that opts for a city or location nickname. That the Raptors won the NBA Championship in jerseys that just said "NORTH" is the one thing about that game I'm not fond of.

I think the problem the Pistons face is that their primary uniforms (I know we don't have primaries in the NBA anymore) are pretty traditional. What else do you do? I agree, the red version was a nice change of pace and I wouldn't mind seeing it again. Aside from that? Well...they've done fairly generic navy and grey (chrome) uniforms.

Honestly? I would go with throwbacks. The classic look they have, which dates to the Bad Boys mini-dynasty of the late 80s/early 90s, only dates back to 1981. I would look further back for alternates.

So maybe....

Standard royal blue

Standard white

Red 1974-78 throwback

Teal throwback

...as a four uni set?

The Pistons have a lot of surprisingly unique pre-80s uniforms they could draw on. The mid/late 70s with the bold side panels. The late 70s lightning bolt design. Late 60s powder blues. Mid 60s script wordmarks. Late 50s/early 60s stacked wordmark and front numbers. You could go with straight up versions of these as throwback alternates or mix and match elements of them to create new uniforms that harken back to older looks. There's untapped potential in the Pistons' history. They just don't want to go for it, for whatever reason.

I like the gray alts just because I think those side panels are far superior to the usual asymettrical red stripe/blue stripe thing.

1 hour ago, Digby said:

I like the gray alts just because I think those side panels are far superior to the usual asymettrical red stripe/blue stripe thing.

My biggest grief with them is how they have the thick blue shoulder piping. It doesn’t match the regular white and blue - drives my OCD crazy and just doesn’t look right. Fill in the inner piping with gray and change the thin outer piping to blue and I think it would look a lot better.

Has it been mentioned that the majority of the new Nike collars are basically the old wishbone Nike collars turned inside out? 

You know, those Pistons grays don't look all that bad. I would've preferred red like a lot of people, but gray is a color that the Pistons wear pretty well, even if it's not as prominently featured as the red, white, and blue. I do wonder if a shimmer fabric would help achieve that "chrome" look or if it'd be overkill.

I'd love to see the Lakers honor Nipsey Hussle similar to The TWolves Prince unis. Black and gold with the "Crenshaw" script from his Marathon clothing line. They'd sell like hotcakes.

spacer.png

20 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a mothership NBA preview in July. 

Yes you have..it was full of @Conrad. concepts from leaks gathered from sources. It would come out MONTHS before the season started. Would have info on new uniforms and throwbacks.

But lets not dwell on the past..but embrace the future. 

6 minutes ago, Shadojoker said:

Yes you have..it was full of @Conrad. concepts from leaks gathered from sources. It would come out MONTHS before the season started. Would have info on new uniforms and throwbacks.

But lets not dwell on the past..but embrace the future. 

*sighs heavily* indeed, if only i could make that article. a couple months ago, you all would have known WAY more than is currently publicly known. selfishly, i'll trade that in a heartbeat for my job in the industry 😉

1 hour ago, Conrad. said:

*sighs heavily* indeed, if only i could make that article. a couple months ago, you all would have known WAY more than is currently publicly known. selfishly, i'll trade that in a heartbeat for my job in the industry 😉

@Conrad. Do you think most teams making Statement jersey changes will release those in August?

1 hour ago, grubstreet said:

I'd love to see the Lakers honor Nipsey Hussle similar to The TWolves Prince unis. Black and gold with the "Crenshaw" script from his Marathon clothing line. They'd sell like hotcakes.

spacer.png

Wouldn’t see that happening. The Lakers City Uniforms aw not about the city. They honor a player for the uniform and that’s how they plan on doing it in the future. They call it the “Lore Series”

41 minutes ago, simtek34 said:

Wouldn’t see that happening. The Lakers City Uniforms aw not about the city. They honor a player for the uniform and that’s how they plan on doing it in the future. They call it the “Lore Series”

Now the Clippers I could see doing it with that script.

3 hours ago, grubstreet said:

I'd love to see the Lakers honor Nipsey Hussle similar to The TWolves Prince unis.

Nipsey Russell wasn't even half as important as Prince.

I mean, I do get a MPLS Lakers vibe from these.

Have them wear these uniforms while playing the Clippers in a red Slauson jersey and LA would go crazy.