kimball

NBA Changes 2019-20

13 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Thanks. It actually wasn't something I realized until this discussion, so thanks for the back and forth!

Basically, only two new teams since 1980 have adopted a straight up red, white, and blue identity (Blue Jackets and Texans). And those teams had thematic reasons to do so. Any other modern changes to red, white, and blue have been because teams have returned to their older, more traditional colour schemes (Capitals, Wizards, Pistons, 76ers).

All in all? Newer teams seem to understand that a lot of traditional teams have red, white, and blue, and have gone with more unique colour schemes. So I really don't think the "over-use" of red, white, and blue is a problem, really. It's used by a lot of older teams, as a remnant of a time when branding wasn't really a concern. Newer teams are, by and large, forging their own paths. Which is a very good thing. The teal Pistons identity would have been much better had the Pistons been a 90s expansion team.

I hate any uniform that opts for a city or location nickname. That the Raptors won the NBA Championship in jerseys that just said "NORTH" is the one thing about that game I'm not fond of.

I think the problem the Pistons face is that their primary uniforms (I know we don't have primaries in the NBA anymore) are pretty traditional. What else do you do? I agree, the red version was a nice change of pace and I wouldn't mind seeing it again. Aside from that? Well...they've done fairly generic navy and grey (chrome) uniforms.

Honestly? I would go with throwbacks. The classic look they have, which dates to the Bad Boys mini-dynasty of the late 80s/early 90s, only dates back to 1981. I would look further back for alternates.

So maybe....

Standard royal blue

Standard white

Red 1974-78 throwback

Teal throwback

...as a four uni set?

The Pistons have a lot of surprisingly unique pre-80s uniforms they could draw on. The mid/late 70s with the bold side panels. The late 70s lightning bolt design. Late 60s powder blues. Mid 60s script wordmarks. Late 50s/early 60s stacked wordmark and front numbers. You could go with straight up versions of these as throwback alternates or mix and match elements of them to create new uniforms that harken back to older looks. There's untapped potential in the Pistons' history. They just don't want to go for it, for whatever reason.

You helped me realize that too, so thank you as well! I agree that the best way for the Pistons to go is probably with throwbacks. Maybe their City could be the teal, since that seems to fit the overall "out there" style of the City jerseys? I'd personally love to see a return to the lightning bolts, if only because of how ridiculous it is. That would probably be an alternate, though. The four you suggested here are probably what I'd choose, but I just hope they get rid of the gray soon.

3 minutes ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

Maybe their City could be the teal, since that seems to fit the overall "out there" style of the City jerseys? 

Honestly? If they're going to do teal I would just prefer them to do a straight teal throwback. 

I'm not a fan of the identity at all but 90s kitsch is in and why not capitalize on it while you can? Besides, I may dislike the identity but I think it would be fine as an alternate. 

My main objection to the teal concerns suggestions that the Pistons need to go to it full time again. 

1 minute ago, Ice_Cap said:

Honestly? If they're going to do teal I would just prefer them to do a straight teal throwback. 

I'm not a fan of the identity at all but 90s kitsch is in and why not capitalize on it while you can? Besides, I may dislike the identity but I think it would be fine as an alternate. 

My main objection to the teal concerns suggestions that the Pistons need to go to it full time again. 

Fair enough. The Pistons returning to teal would be a disaster on several levels, but a throwback could work very nicely, and the march they'd sell is probably worth it alone.

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Nipsey Russell wasn't even half as important as Prince. 

who the heck told you that?

2 minutes ago, andregunts said:

I live in LA and had never heard his name before his death and it's not like I'm some old fart I'm 24. The dude was a good guy from all I understand but he wasn't anywhere near as important culturally as prince. If something happened to Ice Cube, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Snoop, or even to honor the doors I could see something happening since they are much bigger staples of LA culture.

I personally think the Lakers brand and LA it self is way to large to do something like this for anyone anyways, it works for Minneapolis because they are so much smaller and prince was one of the few great cultural icons from the area. If you ask people to think of a great musician or band from LA you'll get as many answers as people asked this idea dosen't work for LA. 

14 minutes ago, masterchaoss said:

I live in LA and had never heard his name before his death and it's not like I'm some old fart I'm 24. The dude was a good guy from all I understand but he wasn't anywhere near as important culturally as prince. If something happened to Ice Cube, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Snoop, or even to honor the doors I could see something happening since they are much bigger staples of LA culture.

I personally think the Lakers brand and LA it self is way to large to do something like this for anyone anyways, it works for Minneapolis because they are so much smaller and prince was one of the few great cultural icons from the area. If you ask people to think of a great musician or band from LA you'll get as many answers as people asked this idea dosen't work for LA. 

this is where the Clippers come in play 

39 minutes ago, andregunts said:

Really stickin' my neck out here saying that Prince was a bigger deal than Nipsey Hussle, these are the kinds of brave opinions you only get at this board.

The Crenshaw jersey just makes me think they're honoring semi-obscure '80s musician Marshall Crenshaw and his thoughtful power-pop songcraft.

Joe Harris on the Mickstape podcast seemed to indicate the biggie jerseys aren’t returning or at very least he said he liked the new uniforms. So there’s def a new Nets uniform. Probably not just the new earned?

12 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Really stickin' my neck out here saying that Prince was a bigger deal than Nipsey Hussle, these are the kinds of brave opinions you only get at this board.

I get that Nipsey Hussle was a big deal to his own crowd, and it's merited because apparently he did some fantastic things for not just his neighborhood, but the entire city. That being said, the idea that he was anywhere even in the same stratosphere as Prince really comes across as a bit of postmortem glorification/God-status creation. And I get that. I grew up a HUGE Sublime fan and am fully aware how their lore was VASTLY enhanced by Brad's death and they rode the coattails on that for over two decades. And while I like Nirvana, they get a lot of this, too. They may be the ultimate example of this, actually. You know what they say, death tends to make everyone's opinion of you absolutely glow. 

I still have ZERO idea what Nipsey Hussle did musically, and had never even heard of him before his death. If you put on ten songs and asked me to pick out the NH song, I would still have absolutely no idea which were his. I wouldn't consider myself a hip hop connoisseur or anything, but I'm not totally in the dark about it, either. 

I think his overall legacy is being just a tad overstated

20 minutes ago, Denver_The_Sinaloa said:

this is where the Clippers come in play 

It would actually make a lot of sense for the Clippers to do it because he was close friends with Lou Williams and Montrezl Harrell.

29 minutes ago, Bucfan56 said:

Maybe, but if the players want to go for it it's worth considering.

1 hour ago, Bucfan56 said:

I get that Nipsey Hussle was a big deal to his own crowd, and it's merited because apparently he did some fantastic things for not just his neighborhood, but the entire city. That being said, the idea that he was anywhere even in the same stratosphere as Prince really comes across as a bit of postmortem glorification/God-status creation. And I get that. I grew up a HUGE Sublime fan and am fully aware how their lore was VASTLY enhanced by Brad's death and they rode the coattails on that for over two decades. And while I like Nirvana, they get a lot of this, too. They may be the ultimate example of this, actually. You know what they say, death tends to make everyone's opinion of you absolutely glow. 

I still have ZERO idea what Nipsey Hussle did musically, and had never even heard of him before his death. If you put on ten songs and asked me to pick out the NH song, I would still have absolutely no idea which were his. I wouldn't consider myself a hip hop connoisseur or anything, but I'm not totally in the dark about it, either. 

I literally never heard of Nipsey Hussle before he died. Actually he was in the pilot of Crazy ex Girlfriend but I would have never guessed he was famous. 

1 hour ago, Colin_Pernett said:

I literally never heard of Nipsey Hussle before he died. Actually he was in the pilot of Crazy ex Girlfriend but I would have never guessed he was famous. 

I thought I was weird for not knowing who he was lol. Seems like a great guy tho (although think he had some not so great thoughts on LGBTQ if I recall correctly..but sounds like he did a lot of good and put his money where his mouth is).

I really don’t think the teal pistons was bad. It was colorful and loud, which was the 90s. I’d welcome those back. 

XXXTentacion jerseys for the Heat when

I’ve seen people get hate for disagreeing with a nipsey jersey on Instagram. I’m glad I could say my disagreement on here instead where at least people are civil for the most part.

personally I think a jersey dedicated to him is a bit much. A nipsey dedication themed game night? Sure. But a jersey just seems a bit too much. People on Instagram really want a blue nipsey jersey. And well, we all know what that reps. And I don’t know it just doesn’t feel right. 

I remember when people said that that they changed the red carpet to blue wasn’t right because it repped a gang. People are probably gonna say the same thing to a blue jersey. Brb lemme finish this later 

45 minutes ago, pelicanfan said:

I’ve seen people get hate for disagreeing with a nipsey jersey on Instagram. I’m glad I could say my disagreement on here instead where at least people are civil for the most part.

personally I think a jersey dedicated to him is a bit much. A nipsey dedication themed game night? Sure. But a jersey just seems a bit too much. People on Instagram really want a blue nipsey jersey. And well, we all know what that reps. And I don’t know it just doesn’t feel right. 

I remember when people said that that they changed the red carpet to blue wasn’t right because it repped a gang. People are probably gonna say the same thing to a blue jersey. Brb lemme finish this later 

that would NOT be a problem for the LA Clippers to do considering they actually wear blue. Also BET already succeeded with the “Blue Carpet” 

5 hours ago, Froob said:

Joe Harris on the Mickstape podcast seemed to indicate the biggie jerseys aren’t returning or at very least he said he liked the new uniforms. So there’s def a new Nets uniform. Probably not just the new earned?

He's right. The black Coogi uniform is not carrying over to this upcoming season (unfortunately).

As only us uniform weirdos can do, I cringe every time I see a jersey swap of KD or Kyrie in one of the black Coogi unis, because I know they'll never wear that on the court. Same goes for many jersey swaps I see of the many players switching teams this offseason. 🤷‍♂️

7 hours ago, Conrad. said:

He's right. The black Coogi uniform is not carrying over to this upcoming season (unfortunately).

As only us uniform weirdos can do, I cringe every time I see a jersey swap of KD or Kyrie in one of the black Coogi unis, because I know they'll never wear that on the court. Same goes for many jersey swaps I see of the many players switching teams this offseason. 🤷‍♂️

Does this mean a white Coogi unit next season